350k subs? good or bad? all this and more inside!

Nemrodh

Doing a rewrite. will have this all back up in a short bit. thanks in advance.

Update:I don't feel like rewriting it. just don't care enough. i realize i made a few mistakes. but the short of it is still sound. Next time Ill actually proof it. =)

Short answer, money. money. money, and more money. which comes from TOTAL sub's a months. the more the better.

Need it to make the game better and to continue functioning. with out the subscriber base to fuel these costs you can count on this going no where fast.

So stop hating, raging and fighting over the numbers. give Bioware time to fix it. do make constructive posts about issues, not harassing or negative posts. they want to fix this make this game great just as much as the rest of us.

There is your rewrite. Oh and before you say anything. I got 10 pages, 97 responses thus far. My words have been heard. =)

Edited by Nemrodh

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have to laugh about the 350k concurrent players. People don't know the definition of "concurrent". when you have a 24 hour day, and people from all over the world play, you are going to get very few times when you would expect ALL subscribers to be online. 350k concurrent players amounts to between 2-3 million subscribers. Don't people understand that? For god's sake, I play with alot of Aussies/Kiwi's. They are in their primetime between 10pm and 1am PST. Even for west coast USA people, by the time that they are in primtime, the east coasters are almost out of it.

Funny how randoms become game devs on forums. EA said the game took less than 100 million to make. You are spouting random nonsense, with zero credible sources.

We all can make stuff up. Nice use of color though.

Well said

Before you really, really make a fool of yourself, you need to stop, because you completely misinterpreted the number.

350,000 peak concurrent users means that is how many people are online playing at peak (assuming this independent analysis is anywhere near correct).

It is not, I REPEAT NOT, the number of subscribers.

The rule of thumb is that the number of people online represents anywhere between 25% and 30% of your total subscriber base, which would put the subscribers at up to or around 1.5 million--which we know already.

So what the heck is your problem???????? Learn how to read, son. And learn how to think. And erase all that drivel, it makes my eyes bleed.

OP should have stopped to realize that the article he speaks of (link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/) lists...and this is the important part:

The number of subscribers online at any given moment.

To give you a comparison EVE Online has about 400k subscribers. At any given moment 25-30k of them are online.

OP has confused this for the total number of subscriptions. In short he fails at reading comprehension.

Funny how randoms become game devs on forums. EA said the game took less than 100 million to make. You are spouting random nonsense, with zero credible sources.

It wasn't just EA, it was a third part financial analysis who said less than $100M.

Plus OP was in the other (duplicate) thread claiming that 350k concurrent isn't a big deal because SWG had more.

OP should have stopped to realize that the article he speaks of (link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/) lists...and this is the important part:

The number of subscribers online at any given moment.

To give you a comparison EVE Online has about 400k subscribers. At any given moment 25-30k of them are online.

OP has confused this for the total number of subscriptions. In short he fails at reading comprehension.

This is not even the point, hes just making up random numbers saying x cost y. Its a very silly post.

Not sure where you got that, Game Informer's cover story on the game about a year ago cited nearly $200m (and that was over a year ago)

Hard to take you seriously when you're misusing words left and right.

You're vs Your

Their vs There

To vs Too

to name a few...

I can understand typos when people are writing quick responses, but clearly you put effort into this. Some effort in grammar checking would have been effective.

Edited by Lazorous

Here's my basic math:

$60.00 / Unit - $15.00 / First Month Sub (free w/Purchase) = $45.00 / Unit * 1.5 Million Sold (approximate)

$67,500,000.00 Initial income for game....

1 Month Later game loses 33.33% of subscribers....

14.99 / Month * 1 Million subs = $14,990,000.00 per Month....

I think this thing is already in the black and will continue to be so if they only have 50% of the players stay on.

Your number (350k Online at one time) is not how many people subscribe to the game, it's just how many are using it at a single time. It means nothing....

Here's my basic math:

$60.00 / Unit - $15.00 / First Month Sub (free w/Purchase) = $45.00 / Unit * 1.5 Million Sold (approximate)

$67,500,000.00 Initial income for game....

1 Month Later game loses 33.33% of subscribers....

14.99 / Month * 1 Million subs = $14,990,000.00 per Month....

I think this thing is already in the black and will continue to be so if they only have 50% of the players stay on.

Your number (350k Online at one time) is not how many people subscribe to the game, it's just how many are using it at a single time. It means nothing....

Just to be clear, that 67 mil is "Gross Revenue" which is how much money the company took in. Income suggests profit, and that 67 mil is not pure profit. Income would be after the costs of game packaging, marketing, royalties to Lucas, employees, servers, etc.

Edited by Lazorous

I always have to laugh about the 350k concurrent players. People don't know the definition of "concurrent". when you have a 24 hour day, and people from all over the world play, you are going to get very few times when you would expect ALL subscribers to be online. 350k concurrent players amounts to between 2-3 million subscribers. Don't people understand that? For god's sake, I play with alot of Aussies/Kiwi's. They are in their primetime between 10pm and 1am PST. Even for west coast USA people, by the time that they are in primtime, the east coasters are almost out of it.

Why don't you also laugh at yourself for extrapolating 350K concurrent users all the way out to "2-3 million subscribers." You're just as wrong to the opposite extreme.