Using ability / skill icons and copyright?

Seerexis

Hi all,

not sure where to post this, but i just had a little arguement with a friend of mine and we really can't settle it, so thought i'd go here.

Do BW / LA / EA have copyrights on the icons for their skills / abilities, or are other people allowed to use it for other material, as long as it relates to the game and they remember to write something like "All copyrights goes to bla bla"?

The reason i am asking is this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200.1

They have all the icons from the game, so there is only 3 options viable to answer this question:

1. They are allowed to use the icons.

2. They are not allowed to use them, so they are actually breaking the copyright law.

3. They "created" the icons themselves by using the real ones as "sketch".

I hope it is okay to post this and hopefully get an end to this question, it's driving me and my friend nuts :p it's strictly for pure curiosity, no bigger master plot :)

thanks on advance,

/JBJ

Well, I can tell you how it works in my country, that's in Poland, europe: All the works you, or BioWare employee create are automatically under protection of copyrights.

BUT for most time you may use it freely if it's not 18+ content, content generating any income, and content that copyrights holder allows to exist.

Icons are part of promotional materials, and using them profits only BioWare, so all three conditions are met in pages like torhead, dharthaterDB, etc.

Therefore no harm is done. :)

Thanks for your reply.

But are you 100% sure about this? i mean in the ways of not generating income. Does that mean for instance, that you are not allowed to create a paid application where you use these icons? take for instance another game - Rift - there is a soul-calculator in the app store (it's free now but used to be a paid app) and they used the icons used in rift.

Was this against copyrights? Besides, even though it doesnt cost anything to enter torhead, they still generate A LOT of cash, and part of that is thanks to the icons.

I thank you for your reply, but i'm still a little uncertain :)

ZAM is an official fansite of a number of MMOs. They get permission before using any copyright content.

Also, if you go to the account button at the top of this page, you'll notice a "Fansite" link on your account page. All the material there is free to use, under the specified ToU/ToS, which you agree to when getting the fansite kit.

Edited by Yhor