The reasons this game is doing so well and better than expected.

Klarick

lol guys. The game is doing awesome. There are like 100 of you ragging on the boards about quitting. That's it.

Everyone has quit unless you resub. That's the way this works. The first month is included in the cost of the box and then you sub after the first month.

So far, Bioware can claim ZERO subs.

Time will tell.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All MMos hail their launch as hugely succesful. they go f2p shortly after. Expect the same here.

Actually all companies who make the MMO hail their launch, but SWTOR has had hails from all over the gaming community. I can honestly say I haven't seen any other MMO recieve so much positive media chatter since WoW, and possibly even more positive than that.

I also wouldn't look for SWTOR to go F2P no matter if it "fails" or not.

EA won't take it F2P it's as simple as that.

Edited by HavenAE

Everyone has quit unless you resub. That's the way this works. The first month is included in the cost of the box and then you sub after the first month.

Time will tell.

Yes the first month was free, but you had to sub to access the game after the grace period. Input serial and credit card info. That's a sub.

Its pretty hilarious how the haters think they are in the majority because a handful of very vocal haters agree with them in the forums

It saddens me that this is how you guys spend your time, hating on an mmo youve already quit and spending hours a day trying to convince others how bad it is.

Pathetic

Time will tell.

You mean everyone is a sub unless you unsub. You set up your sub already when you created your account at/post launch. That's the way this works.

Actually all companies who make the MMO hail their launch, but SWTOR has had hails from all over the gaming community.

I also wouldn't look for SWTOR to go F2P no matter if it "fails" or not.

EA won't take it F2P it's as simple as that.

Warhammer hasn't even gone F2P yet, so what makes people think this game will? At least this game has very interesting PvE, and isn't centered around PvP. Personally I believe that a PvP centered MMO just don't do anywhere near as well as a PvE centered MMO. I get the feeling that most people want a PvE centered MMO with a dash of PvP. My opinion of course.

Time will tell.

Glass half full or glass half empty, it depends on how you look at it. Obviously your a hater so your going to claim the latter.

Yes the first month was free, but you had to sub to access the game after the grace period. Input serial and credit card info. That's a sub.

It doesn't count as a sub until the money is actually paid. Until then you can only count it as a potential sub because it can be cancelled any time.

It doesn't count as a sub until the money is actually paid. Until then you can only count it as a potential sub because it can be cancelled any time.

You have a subscription set up with the intent to pay the next month unless you cancel. You are subbed until then.

Semantics.. really?

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

- Immersive game play and environments.

- SWTOR killed "the Grind" that plagues so many MMO's.

- Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers!

- In SWTOR the leveling process is FUN and not a chore.

- Voice-Acted questing. Incredibly well done.

- Smooth Launch! Fairly unusual in this business but BW pulled it off.

- If its this good at launch, imagine SWTOR in a year! AMAZING!

Man what ********, you havent hit endgame i can tell, you say that because its flashy and have a nice story its a good game? ye i agree its a good SINGLEPLAYER STORY GAME. There is no fluid combat, and the rest of you crap is about the story, you are just ***** that your Jedi is so awsum and can be a goodi to sho.

There is some kind of metric out there in the MMO industry that basically tells a MMO developer what kind of drop off they will see when the first month is up, like a certain percentage will drop off in week 1, then in week 2, and so on. According to Bioware they are not seeing the normal rate of drop off for MMOs, and seeing less then normal drop off then they had expected.

Now this really doesn't mean anything for the second paid month, it just means that it is very likely they will have more people subscribing for the first paid month then they expected to have.

Warhammer hasn't even gone F2P yet, so what makes people think this game will? At least this game has very interesting PvE, and isn't centered around PvP. Personally I believe that a PvP centered MMO just don't do anywhere near as well as a PvE centered MMO. I get the feeling that most people want a PvE centered MMO with a dash of PvP. My opinion of course.

I agree, i think most of the haters are pvp kids who are mad (for some reason) that a bioware game (THEY MAKE GOOD STORIES!) doesnt have the next end all be all of pvp.

Because quite honestly what grown man or woman is going to spend a large or any portion of time bickering with people in the forums of a game they claim they already quit.

Sorry kids you need to find something better to do with your time.

By definition, it's a subscription. It's fairer to say they've made no money from subs yet, as they're all currently free.

I'm just curious. What game of the year awards? No one is going to give a GOTY to a game that was not launched early enough to be reviewed.

Well unless it was the only MMO release in the year so you won competition by default, so congratulations on winning no other competition I quess.

I would like a link to these 'numerous awards' tho.

http://www.swtor.com/awards

Clealy you are not up to date in the MMo world if you dont know what MMO's have been released over the last 2 years, there have been a hell of a lot.

Edited by Kanharn

All MMos hail their launch as hugely succesful. they go f2p shortly after. Expect the same here.

Oh cool a Dec 2011 who had their Mom- I mean Santa Claus buy SWTOR for them so they can spew their terrible grammar and self-proclaimed facts.

New and Original.

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

I give credits for the last two points. The rest is simply not true. In particular, I find the worlds too small and too linear.

Incredible that a person can decieve themselves so much.. Its really mindblowing..

you make no arguments for your claims you just state stuff..

I disagree with most of your points and since you throw mud at wow, im going to compare use your points to compare with WOW..

Immersive gameplay and environments

It is exactly the same as in WOW, except in wow you dont get stuck in on a pebble everytime you look at it from 30 yards away..

Swtor killed the grind

Where? you level up the same was as you do in WOW? PVP is even worse cause its totally RNG.. Oh yeah you can get centurion commendations but hey that still requires, you guessed it ALOT OF GRIND!

Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers!

This is the worst one yet. The game is laggy, filled with ability delay reaction delay and far from fluid. And even comparing PVP or pve with wow in responsiveness or fluidity is stupid, since WOW beats it totally..

In SWTOR the leveling process is FUN and not a chore.

Again exactly the same as in WOW no difference, you might not have fun in WOW.. But the choices are exactly the same.. Quest, instances or PVP..

Voice-Acted questing. Incredibly well done.

Smooth Launch! Fairly unusual in this business but BW pulled it off.

Now the last too i agree with.. It was a really smooth launch and the voice acting is somewhat good. Though i dont find it exceptionally good, i find it satisfying.

Now before anyone goes all 5 year old on me and tell me to go back and play WOW lol..

i´d like to say i did not state these things because i hate SWTOR, it did this only because i find it hysterical that people can fool themselves this much..

If the game is this perfect Bioware should just stop doing anything and move on to making other games then ? no it isnt perfect, its a new MMO and its filled with bugs, bad game features missing features and so on..

And this thread is just filled with fanboys rubbing themselves while muttering their little "i love Star wars" mantra..

When you can state the game is fluid you have no idea what you are talking about ,and having played the game yet.

Oh cool a Dec 2011 who had their Mom- I mean Santa Claus buy SWTOR for them so they can spew their terrible grammar and self-proclaimed facts.

New and Original.

While I do not necessarily agree with the poster you quoted, it seems pretty hypocritical that you sarcastically call his post new and original in the same post that you debase his opinion solely on his forum join date. Because, that has never been done before.

Also, commenting on someone's grammer is pretty sketchy at best. Due to the global success of this game, it is very possible the poster's native language is not English, as mine is not.

By

No, its just another grindfest with some added video clips to try break up the grindfest, it is still a grind as much as any other mmo, infact i could lvl 1-85 quicker in wow then 1-50 in swtor, well thats without killing myself first with swtor grind.

The game started awesome but its future seems bleak.

I have the grim sensation the game developers are starting to move away from their original design to placate the vocal community and taking the game down a different direction than originally intended.

As we spanish people have learnt in the past 8 years, improvisation is not a good sign in a goverment.

I like this game, but I really do think that you (and people like you) are so wrapped up in your biased, fanboi opinion that the only word that correctly describes you is ignorant. The only thing SWTOR has that sets it apart from. . . pretty much every other MMO on the market (aside from the obvious SW IP) is the voice acting. Outside of that, most MMOs do. . . pretty much everything else just as well, if not better. Since everyone seems to like to compare games to WoW, that's what I'll compare SWTOR to in my more detailed response.

- I'll give you this one. BUT! now most people get to spacebar through 2-5 minutes of buggy 'conversations' to find out where they need to go to kill/gather X of Y instead of spending 2 seconds skimming before clicking accept. (yeah, the first 20 or so levels I listened to almost all the 'conversations' but after that it felt like a waste of time, so I hit spacebar as soon as I finished reading the line of dialogue on the screen.)

- This is completely subjective. I happen to think that WoW had some pretty epic storylines. Problem is, most people don't bother to read the quests (I'm willing to bet you were one of them) so they don't know.

- The only thing these conversation choices affect is your ability to use certain items. If you want certain gear, you have to go all light or all dark (non-force users have a bit more leniency here). This effectively reduces what could be a really interesting way to set leveling experiences apart, down to just clicking the option with the appropriately colored star next to it so you can continue to use the gear you have equipped.

- For me, the real game always starts at level 1. If it doesn't, then maybe you shouldn't be playing that game.

- Yeah, you can spend a crap-ton of credits to have your companions go out and gather stuff that other games allow you to gather for free. Outside of the fact that SWTOR companions allow you to spend your time doing other things (standing around in the fleet seems to be pretty common), they're the same as most other MMO's pets/familiars/summons but have worse AI and worse manageability.

- Balanced PVP?! HAHAHAHAHAHA! When was the last time you queued up for a WarZone? Sure, the classes are somewhat balanced but the PvP itself? NO! How on earth is it balanced to have max level characters (with all their skills, talent points and PvP gear) facing off against lowbies who only had their stats boosted? Yes, we're about to get a separate bracket for level 50s but it's not in right now, so I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree with your statement about balanced PvP.

- PvP rewards seem more or less the same to me, am I missing something? I grind WarZones (just like I did Battlegrounds and Arenas in WoW and Scenarios in Warhammer and Warfronts in Rift, etc.) to get better gear to continue grinding WarZones. The big difference is, I had fun with the structure and ladder system of other games.

- I was far more immersed in WoW than SWTOR. WoW has big sprawling cities (that aren't mirrors of the opposing faction), WoW has smaller villages where normal people and children (where are all the kids in the Star Wars universe, by the way?!) live/work, WoW has night/day and weather cycles, WoW has a big open world that allows me to travel from one zone to another without having to traverse 3-5 loading screens. What does SWTOR have? A linear progression path in static and empty worlds with fully voiced questlines that hold my interest and attention only the first time through. Oh, and a billion unnecessary and ridiculously long loading screens littered throughout.

- I'm only willing to agree with you halfway on this point. I happen to enjoy the Space Combat mini-game, so I'll give you the 'Cool Space Combat mini-game' part of your statement. However, WoW also has a bunch of mini-games that I'm sure people consider cool (bombing runs, plant vs zombies, fishing, the upcoming 'pokemon', just to name a few off the top of my head).

All that said, I think it's necessary that I say, I'm really enjoying SWTOR for what it is - an amazing single player game with some co-op functionality. Maybe in time BioWare will roll out enough bugfixes, customization options and content patches to make the game feel more like the MMO I had hoped it would be. But for now, it's pretty much a crappy (in terms of it's ability to implement the good things) imitation of WoW with Star Wars painted over it.

I needed to poke this, cause finally someone is seeing exactly what i am seeing.. I dont hate SWTOR because i love WOW.. I hate SWTOR because its terrible :p