Why is this game not on curse?

happyguy

Hi i have been with mmos for a while and i have noticed that curse usually takes up the popular mmos (such as this one) and puts add ons into it... but i was just wondering why this game isnt compatible with it.. i think that putting this game on curse would allow alot of adds to be made without the game developers worrying about it.... i mean if this game were to go on curse.com im sure that it would have like 1000 adds the first day no doubt... so why not do it? I love curse i used it in WOW when i did play it and i have allways gotten good things from it so im just suggesting that you guys (the game developers) should put it in... if you do im sure me and a million other people will be happy :p If any of u are new to mmos and havent heard of curse i suggest you check it out and hope that bioware grants this game to be curse compatible because it would make the gamers and the game developers lifes alot easier :p

There are no mods for this game. There is no API, it's not possible to make compatible mods, and if you mod the game as it is right now you win a PERMANENT ban.

That's the reason.

Edited by VorpalK

EA doesn't have a friendly relationship with Curse, and a competing product. It's that simple.

just because WoW is on the website doesnt mean its a competing product... for example Rift and WoW are competing products yet they are both on the website...

thats the thing.. people make the mods for curse when it goes on it. Curse doesnt make the mods.. the gamers do and when this game goes on curse it would put mods into the game :p

You're missing the point the game does not support mods. Curse is a distribution platform not a programming one. You make your mods for the game itself then distribute them via Curse.

No Add On/Mod API == No Addons. If the game was on Curse today there would be 0 mods available, since...well...they can't possibly exist.

*EDIT -- I do have to say it for the record "Not sure if trolling..."

Edited by Battyone

You're missing the point the game does not support mods. Curse is a distribution platform not a programming one. You make your mods for the game itself then distribute them via Curse.

No Add On/Mod API == No Addons. If the game was on Curse today there would be 0 mods available, since...well...they can't possibly exist.

*EDIT -- I do have to say it for the record "Not sure if trolling..."

they should make it compatible with mods then... :D

thats what im saying is that i hope in the future they do and if they do that curse accepts them so we can get some mods/add ons out there :p

I'd prefer Bio have their own add-on database for this game. Been hacked a couple times through Curse's client. Curse is an awesome tool, but they are not secure.

just because WoW is on the website doesnt mean its a competing product... for example Rift and WoW are competing products yet they are both on the website...

I wasn't even thinking about WoW when I said that. EA has Origin, which is positioned as a competitor to Curse. I know everyone likes to think everything somehow links back to WoW, but not this.

[Argh... brain fart. I was thinking of Steam. Time to go to bed.]

Edited by imtrick

In before discussion of why do we get 'dlc' called 'User Interface Augments' that is sold by Bioware and why not use mods.

I really would not be that suprised if that's the way they want to try it at first just to see if they can get away with it. And yes I don't think this game will ever be at Curse most likely EA will want to keep close tabs on mod sites so I'm assuming it will be run by EA themselves, just look how close tabs they keep on Illum.

I wasn't even thinking about WoW when I said that. EA has Origin, which is positioned as a competitor to Curse. I know everyone likes to think everything somehow links back to WoW, but not this.

I think you're confusing curse for steam.

• 1 month later...

Just because I'm against the rampant "mod all the things!" mentality of modern MMO communities (but please let me move and scale my ui elements), try this one on for size:

If you woke up tomorrow and Bioware were allowing mods, but they had to be registered and distributed through... Origin, how much would you rage?

AFAIK, curse is just a 3rd party distributor of addons. They aren't competing with steam *or* origin. EA doesn't have to "put the game up on curse".

If/when addons are viable in TOR, I'd assume curse will open up a section for addons for it. As it is, it's not really feasible to create add-ons for TOR, so there is no reason for an empty section for them on Curse.

Let's think logically about the economics of game development.

A number of important features to an mmo were not included at launch (dungeon queue tool, guild functionality, UI customization, etc).

No doubt you can include addons in that list.

They weren't included because EA put bioware on a pre-christmas 2011 release date deadline (they have already dumped in hundreds of millions of dollars on this game at this point). EA needed to start seeing some of their money back.

Bioware had no choice but to prioritize making the game functional in time for release.

Do not have any doubt that all the features you expect in an mmo are coming.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.