Skyrim Graphics VS SW:ToR Graphics.

RecondoJoe

Back in 2004 people didn't have all the expectations of excellent graphics, and what's more computers were simpler then.
There were just as many graphics whores back then as there are now. The only difference is the standard of acceptable good graphics was lower.

WoW does not have better graphics - it looks like a horribly coloured cartoon - whereas SWTOR looks great, on my computer anyway. Maybe it's your computer.
Graphics quality is a matter of opinion. IMO, WoW is a beautiful game that has aged very well. That said SWTOR for the most part looks very good as well and I think I might prefer its look over WoW, but I'm not sure.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Graphics quality is a matter of opinion. IMO, WoW is a beautiful game that has aged very well. That said SWTOR for the most part looks very good as well and I think I might prefer its look over WoW, but I'm not sure.

I wasn't sure until I hit Tatooine. Since then, I was sold on TOR. Making a desert look breath-taking is quite an accomplishment.

Edited by Brebo

Let the fanboys say what they will. One just said Skyrim's graphics are gawd awful, and that just made anything else they said moot. Skyrim's graphics put anything this game has to offer to shame.

SWTOR uses baked on shadows. Why? Because the worlds lighting is not dynamic in any way. It is always the same - that is the reason there is no night and day cycles in the game.

SWTOR cannot even support the high res graphics textures. In fact they are not used in game at all except for *certain* cutscenes, most are low or medium. The engine cannot handle the high res textures with that many people in the same zone. It has a hard enough time with a dozen, which explains why you don't have 25+ man raids in this game. They limit the number of players per shard even to keep people from lagging.

Also, shadows in this game make Minecraft look like a DX 11 game. Never have I seen such poor quality shadows in a game before. SWTORS look like 8 bit graphic shadows they are so blocky.

SWTOR does not have a good graphics engine. Maybe that is why Simutronics did not finish their own game, Hero's Journey, because they realized just how bad their own game engine was.

WoW has better graphics currently that SWTOR. Check my thread for clarification: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=118406 also, WoW's graphics are far more smooth.

i think you have some settings either turned off or on low, seeing as most are having to force aa due to a bug or some such and the small fact i played wow on max settings able to cap fps at 190 in a 25 man raid i'd say your rig is at fault or your settings.

yes i have a stupidly expensive computer and heavily modded.

now on to other things.

what some here may call a good rig may not be very good by modern standards, basicly what you say is good may not be good compared to a very high end rig.

then there is the utter **** state your system may well be in thanks to the way many a user goes about *********** with settings they don't fully understand.

maybe just maybe thats why i run the game at 100-150+ fps on max settings with no issues at all.

different points of view different computers and entirely different setups.

Let the fanboys say what they will. One just said Skyrim's graphics are gawd awful, and that just made anything else they said moot. Skyrim's graphics put anything this game has to offer to shame.

SWTOR uses baked on shadows. Why? Because the worlds lighting is not dynamic in any way. It is always the same - that is the reason there is no night and day cycles in the game.

SWTOR cannot even support the high res graphics textures. In fact they are not used in game at all except for *certain* cutscenes, most are low or medium. The engine cannot handle the high res textures with that many people in the same zone. It has a hard enough time with a dozen, which explains why you don't have 25+ man raids in this game. They limit the number of players per shard even to keep people from lagging.

Also, shadows in this game make Minecraft look like a DX 11 game. Never have I seen such poor quality shadows in a game before. SWTORS look like 8 bit graphic shadows they are so blocky.

SWTOR does not have a good graphics engine. Maybe that is why Simutronics did not finish their own game, Hero's Journey, because they realized just how bad their own game engine was.

i agree the shadows are terrible and lack of high res textures is a disapointment.

but that still isn't a reason to compare an mmo game to a single player game, do i really need to go into the differences with how skyrim doesn't have to load texture models for umteen player characters and there actions and what ever else is going on in the vicinity?

or will you work that out for yourself?

really the differences between a single player game and an mmo is like night and day and the technical hurdles aren't exactly easy to work with.

Which are better? I would tell you myself, but my computer only runs Skyrim on Ultra settings, it can't run SW:ToR on Low Settings. So I'm guessing that SW:ToR must have some insane graphics that absolutely blow Skyrim out of the water if this is the case.

Let me know. I'm dying with anticipation.

This fails on so many levels, that I threw up in my mouth a little.

i agree the shadows are terrible and lack of high res textures is a disapointment.

but that still isn't a reason to compare an mmo game to a single player game, do i really need to go into the differences with how skyrim doesn't have to load texture models for umteen player characters and there actions and what ever else is going on in the vicinity?

or will you work that out for yourself?

really the differences between a single player game and an mmo is like night and day and the technical hurdles aren't exactly easy to work with.

Well it also comes down to this thing that SWTOR has better graphics than WOW, and that too is false. Why? For the same reason that SWTOR's are bad. SWTOR has no dynamic lighting. It is all fixed. At least in WoW there is dynamic lighting. There is nothing in this game like night and day cycles. That alone makes SWTORs graphics engine seem no better than a game from before 1999. Even games like EQ and AC had night and day cycles.

Edited by AirshipGirl

They aren't very detailed models, either. I can't believe you could post those as "better graphics than SW:TOR" with a straight face. You really need new glasses. I could get out a pencil and outline each polygon.

More purple does not equal better graphics.

Edited by imtrick

wow has better graphics than swtor. Make a judgement based on that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

phew.....

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Jaick

Not sure there is much point adding to this thread, but I read a couple of times that upgrading from 4 to 8gig ram should not have helped but did.

SWTOR uses 2 executable processes (why, I have no clue) - hence each process could use up to 4G ram - totalling 8. (or 2G totalling 4, or 3G totalling 6 depending on how your kernel memory split is setup and whether SWTOR is marked high memory aware - even the total 4 scenario you'll want extra ram to allow for other processes to avoid paging)

That being said, I've not seen SWTOR use more than 2.5G between both processes, so upgrading 4 to 8 fixing things is quite strange...

Edited by Tilps

The Hero Engine is just horrible. It eats up all of our hardware's horsepower, but the final product looks similar to games that came out years ago.

Skyrim was not very well optimized for PC, and couldn't even use more than 2gb of ram (until it was patched in). BUT, it was still graphically stunning, and it runs well even on low powered machines (I have a hd5670 and run it great on high).

SWTOR clearly wasn't optimized for PC at all (which is just wrong considering it is a PC only game). I have heard some people say things like, "the polygon count is really high", and, "the lighting is really complex". But in the end I don't give a darn how complex the engine is or what it is doing, I care about what the final product looks like on my screen. And in the end, the graphics remind me of Star Wars Battle Front 2. Now that I think about it, I could run shadows in SWBF2, and I can't in SWTOR.

It is clear to me that the Hero Engine needs a MAJOR overhaul.

Fail...so much, that I must now reconsider my outlook on ....nevermind...what you said makes a possum look brilliant. Skyrim doesn't even run on the latest dx drivers, because of consoles. "So?" you may ask...an MMO can't run the most beautiful best graphics ev4r...wont happen. Some have tried and failed, ie SWG. In addition, comparing graphics of a single player game to a MMO is like comparing Rembrandt to finger paintings.

Fail...so much, that I must now reconsider my outlook on ....nevermind...what you said makes a possum look brilliant. Skyrim doesn't even run on the latest dx drivers, because of consoles. "So?" you may ask...an MMO can't run the most beautiful best graphics ev4r...wont happen. Some have tried and failed, ie SWG. In addition, comparing graphics of a single player game to a MMO is like comparing Rembrandt to finger paintings.

Oh really, you don't say? Of course a single player game is going to have substantially better graphics than a MMO. Go back and read my previous post. Also, though Skyrim does not support DX11, it still makes many games that do support it look bad. It was some amazing art direction in that game that made it work even for a DX 9 game.

You'll never see anything remotely this cool ever in SWTOR.

Lighting In Games Can Set the Mood

Bethesda did a great job with an engine that doesn't support DX11. Can't say the same for Bioware.

Again, SWTOR doesn't even support dynamic lighting. Games like WoW, LoTR, Rift make SWTOR look not much better than a game from 1999. The only difference is that character poly's is a little higher, otherwise, it is not impressive at all.

Oh really, you don't say? Of course a single player game is going to have substantially better graphics than a MMO. Go back and read my previous post. Also, though Skyrim does not support DX11, it still makes many games that do support it look bad. It was some amazing art direction in that game that made it work even for a DX 9 game.

You'll never see anything remotely this cool ever in SWTOR.

Lighting In Games Can Set the Mood

Bethesda did a great job with an engine that doesn't support DX11. Can't say the same for Bioware.

Again, SWTOR doesn't even support dynamic lighting. Games like WoW, LoTR, Rift make SWTOR look not much better than a game from 1999. The only difference is that character poly's is a little higher, otherwise, it is not impressive at all.

So... why are you still here? not in game, but in the forums???