Bioware, You Want to Resuscitate This Game? Then Implement The Following.

Xugos

- Chat bubbles (with the option to disable for those of us who are introverted within the community, myself included.)

no, they are stupid as hell. there are other things where they need to look at

- Add a combat log. I will say this again. ADD A COMBAT LOG. IT IS A *MUST!* A combat log is needed for damage/healing/tank mitigation parses. If you are serious about having guilds progress in non-mediocre PvE content, these are essential.

poor community that can't play without any math or numbers telling them what to do

- ADD TARGET OF TARGET into the game. Over-haul the UI in general.

as i recall this is already implemented. but i agree that the UI sucks and needs to be like in rift so you can modify it

- Fix bugs in general, but most importantly the ones pertaining to the mail system (where an item can be lost forever if the bug occurs.)

if a broken mail system is more important than ability delay i'll burn my swtor cd and piss on it

- Add FOCUS TARGETS.

was it alt+f or something like this? ...

- Fix graphical optimization bugs - i.e. random FPS drops. Many, many people (including myself) are reporting random FPS drops in areas such as the Republic Fleet's various areas.

nvidia beta drivers, more than 4gig ram and a fast c:\ hdd and the speed improves to a nearly playable level. but i agree it still is bad

- Fix aesthetic bugs, such as ones with the apparent color of armor (some helmets turn up unnaturally black, etc.)

never experienced

- Add a fail safe (purchase confirmation) to item purchases and skill learns. Many people have lost commendations/credits for accidentally misclicking while using a high-sensitivity/DPI mouse and purchasing the wrong item.

drink less coffee

- Overhaul the auction house system (GTN.) Add a search option, remove the 50 item limit on your auctions, and add bid/buyout functionality that isn't feudalistic and outdated.

maybe a good idea. but not so important fmpov

- SERVER FORUMS. THIS IS A MUST TO ENSURE THAT A STRONG SERVER-COMMUNITY MANIFESTS ITSELF!

without open pvp with sense, there will be no sense in such stuff

- More camera options. THE OPTION TO DISABLE "SMART CAMERA PIVOT" SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED!

/qft

- Implement a threat parse so that tanks can actually gage how much threat they have on targets. Right now, they are in the dark and they have a disproportionally stressful job. I can personally testify that I don't know a single person, nor do I think such a person exists or is common, that appreciates the current system of things pertaining to threat.

in daoc we didn't need such crap and sure we do not need it here.

- An LFG system over-haul. I'm not saying it should be automated and teleport you to the location of whatever it is you're doing like WoW does, but there needs to be increased support for this. Perhaps introducing a channel with some extra features dedicated to creating groups would do it.

try the /1 chatchannel in the station. works

- Improve your servers so that you do not have to create two separate instances for a mere 50 people in a SINGLE sub-zone. That is just asinine and removes the social/community atmosphere from the game. I bought an MMORPG, not a single-player Mass Effect RPG.

yep

- Fix accessibility to PvP gear. As it stands, many are reporting it is MUCH TOO EASY to acquire.

why should they? pvp gear is a reward for playing pvp. are you afraid that in the end all players have pvp gear? its not a gear issue. pvp is lacking because of other stuff

- Allow people to queue for SPECIFIC WARZONES.

i would play voidstar for all my life :p

- ADD MACROS.

the only macro i would support is /assist

everything else i absolut nonsense

- A customizable UI with third party add-on support. All healers (experienced healers) that I know cringe at the lack of a customizable UI. Click-to-heal made healing fun. Bioware MUST implement this.

no

- >>>>>>>Ensure mouse-over heal support.<<<<<<<

i heard wow got something like this. maybe you should play it instead. i'm a healer myself and can can heal pretty well without

- A fix to optimization issues. Great machines are not running this game so great.

i agree it needs to be fixed. games under 30fps are far from fun to play

- A fix to delay issues that are not related to latency. People have "50 ms" latency and have a 3-4 second delay on select abilities.

the ability delay is the largest problem atm.

- Better customer support. Hire MORE people, HAND THEM a company policy book, and GET them helping people out. No excuse for not having enough people when you knew how much traffic there would be on launch day.

you know that there was christmas and newyear?

- Buy a better swtor.com server. No reason why your WEBSITE should have queues when practically every MMO, including ones that have been less or more successful, did not have queues at launch, nevermind post-launch.

i prefer to wait 5 seconds, before i can't see a thread at all

- Increase the number of players allowed on a server. Don't hide subscription numbers by artificially inflating server size. Reportedly, only 2000-2500 players are allowed per server, which is horrible. Bump that number up significantly, even if it is done gradually, or you're in trouble. The game world is already pretty empty in some places as is.

it's an problem of instances, not serversize

- Re-instate the appearance unifier, even if temporarily. No reason why a battle-hardened Trooper should look literally like a clown with a rain-bow themed assortment of ballistic armor plates.

add guildcapes and i'm fine with it

- Have community managers COMMUNICATE to the player base that Bioware understands our issues and is working diligently on fixing them. As of now, it appears as though y'all are pretending NOTHING is wrong. Wake up.

so you want somebody who tells you "We are aware of this Problem" like they do in WoW all the time?

- Dissolve the universal PvP bracket. Put in SPECIALIZED PvP brackets instead. A 1-49 bracket and then a 50 bracket would be a great start, but preferrably, just do a 1-30, 30-49, and then a 50 bracket. If the player base grows further (big if here), then dissect the brackets further and specialize them to an even greater extent. A level 50 has much more utility and more abilities in its arsenal than a level 15. Even if they have the same stats, that is UNFAIR because the level 50 has a vested advantage. That's why there should always be brackets, albeit with the boost system retained.

10-50 pvp is not unfair. a 50 with no pvp gear is the same 2hit than a lvl 10 with no pvp gear. it's the need for pvp guilds to farm warzones to get pvp gear that breaks this system

warzones have been a bad idea at all. they suck all the pvp feeling out of a pvp server

- Work towards providing the PvP community with something with more longevity and something that fosters community. That something is an arena system with arena maps. This would go a LONG way for the PvP community.

arena in this game would be quite fun i think. as long as the mirror class system stays a mirror class system. rated 4v4 arenas like in Global Agenda would be fun, or Guildfights 8vs8 on a rated basis

- Address content-related player concerns. Let us know what the horizon is bringing, and by this I mean, RELEASE MORE OPERATIONS/WARZONES and RATED WARZONES and give us an estimated time of arrival that is not too far off.

i agree a bit more information is better than absolut no information

- A space overhaul. Not sure if the Hero engine can handle it, but space combat is just abysmal after the first few flying sortees. Something closer to SWG space but IMPROVED because this is 2011 and not 2004 would be required.

this is 2012 but i agree

@OP

TLDR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feed back guys. As always, I've updated the list again. I'm surprised the thread is rated so low when almost every post agrees with most of the list in the OP.

HAHAHAHA omg...

You went and edited your post to make it look like TOR is in decline...

Fail

Just like before the big reset.

Sad seeing you try so hard.

Maybe you should also post 1.5 million players, and Crowley and Associates say 2.5 million players, also add 350k Concurrent users (which means at any given time, not peak players).

That proves you are wrong.

Edited by darthdoll

all i see is please bioware make this game just like wow.

I agree that some of the stuff is needed unless they want to drive away players but you basically want the game to be just like wow, if you want wow go play with your pandas and pokemon.

The game already is to a large extend like WoW. The Devs had, way back when the game was first announced, stated that they would be strongly inspired by WoW since they wished to learn from that success story.

When you say you are going to take a formula that is proven to be more than successful and then you leave out many "quality of life" aspects, then why do the whole copying in the first place?

I agree. Most of the people oblivious to these issues are those who have not yet made it to level cap or at least past level 30. After level 30, quite a FEW issues arise in terms of the frequency of bugs.
Chances are pretty good that the "oblivious people" who have yet to close in on level cap have not done so because they're focusing on what the game was designed around - story. Dev will deal with the bugs that affect the majority before all else. Players who power level past the core customer level range will have their stuff fixed once the core reaches them. That's just sound business fundamentals. Edited by GalacticKegger

The game already is to a large extend like WoW. The Devs had, way back when the game was first announced, stated that they would be strongly inspired by WoW since they wished to learn from that success story.

When you say you are going to take a formula that is proven to be more than successful and then you leave out many "quality of life" aspects, then why do the whole copying in the first place?

Exactly. These Biodrones are just completely incapable of seeing that it's so alike WoW vanilla, and we want to be less so. But no...we're all crybabies. Hilarious really.

Edited by Astron_

I just dont see how anyone can take Xugos seriously.

He tried this crap in the forums before the big reset.

Now he is doing it again.

Everyone should re-read and see what the OP added.

For those who dont know what he added.

He claims TOR is dying because he provided a link that shows sales declined during the 2nd week (excluding Digital of course)

Edited by darthdoll

Exactly. These Biodrones are just completely incapable of seeing that it's so alike WoW vanilla, and we want to be less so. But no...we're all crybabies. Hilarious really.

vanilla wow didnt hand interface lag 40man raids worked like a charm no lag in pvp and raids nothing! I played it, it had bugs that would make you laugh but vanilla wow was better then swtor and that was in 2004. Bioware failed at this game il give them 3 months to fix there interface lag if its not fixed il burn the game and rage @_@ still game got cool story:eek:

I don't play healers regularly, but my wife does, and in talking with her, my understanding of mouseover healing is that you put your cursor on the target and trigger your ability on the moused over target, without having to click off your main focused healing target. It also allows you to keep a mob focused and still heal if you need to watching the mob in order to interrupt specific casts, or be aware of specific casts should you need to move to avoid something.

Also note, you asked for the glaring issues that were keeping people from UI bliss, you didn't ask for game breaking. You are absolutely right the UI isn't broken. its just bad.

Interesting on the mouseover heal thing.

On the second part, I was responding to someone that said that the UI was basically a "hot mess" and was non-functional.

I understand we all have wants and needs. I've always felt that the window GUI inside SWTOR ought to have moving windows. I've run across the issues with how the crafting window can't be open while the GTN is open. And I've run into the issue where you can't see the Next button when looking on the auction when the gear preview window is up on top of the auction window. Or that once the gear preview window is up, items in the far left or far right slots in inventory can't be used.

But to say that these are "broken" and make the UI unusable is just ridiculous. The UI is obviously functional and the entire game can be played with it without problem, with the exception of what I'm hearing with Ops frames not updating, and the suggested companion stats not updating bug.

You weren't the one saying the UI was broken, however. That was another poster.

Thanks for the info on mouseover heal though. None of the games I've played used it.

Chances are pretty good that the "oblivious people" who have yet to close in on level cap have not done so because they're focusing on what the game was designed around - story. Dev will deal with the bugs that affect the majority before all else. Players who power level past the core customer level range will have their stuff fixed once the core reaches them. That's just sound business fundamentals.

The Force is strong with this one.

They're not giving us more for free. I'm paying $15 USD a month for this, don't tell me it's free.

The fact that you don't want add-ons implemented speaks volumes. They in NO WAY affect you. They are totally optional, and are a way for the community to customize their UI so that it fits their requirements. I don't want someone arbitrarily dictating the method in which I play.

Don't like add-ons? Then don't use them.

The fact that you want add-ons implemented speaks volumes as well. Point of view is a tricky thing.

Star Wars: The Old Republic... that IS the game you're playing right? Let's see: WASD, talent trees, a space bar to jump up and down, can fall to your death, hotkey bar with tumbler rows, a minimap, a chat window, a quest log, nameplates, oh yeah - can't forget those all important loot drops and an auction house to sell them in. Did I miss anything really important? Because those define the MMO genre, not any one game.

MAPS. fix the way the map works. i hate pressing M only to see that my quest is in another zone then i click the world map to zoom out but all my quest markers are gone. then i cant even click on another zone from the world map i can only view the zone im in. also add right click to zoom out.

http://i.imgur.com/NmjiA.png

All of the MMOs that were released within the WoW era in which we find ourselves today had their subscriptions plummet ~30 days AFTER RELEASE. We're at day 9 right now, and judging by the dissatisfaction rampant throughout the player base, the trend can be applied to SW:TOR.

The only rampant folks are the same ones posting the same things over and over, they're in just about every thread, I guess hanging to their keyboard waiting for the newest thread to post the same thing.

Edited by Yowfatto

I agree with all that was said with THE LIST.. I myself would like to at to the list ... by saying>>>>>

ADDONS PLZZZZ This would make helaing a heck of alot easier. the functions are a pain in the butt. Hubby is still gonna play but I am seriously rethinking my subscription past the 30 day mark

Tren

I agree with all that was said with THE LIST.. I myself would like to at to the list ... by saying>>>>>

ADDONS PLZZZZ This would make helaing a heck of alot easier. the functions are a pain in the butt. Hubby is still gonna play but I am seriously rethinking my subscription past the 30 day mark

Tren

So, basically you say because there are no addons you are quitting?? Too hard you say??

I am disturbed.

Note: This is simply a list of issues that we all recognize exist. We all want the best for SW:TOR which is why we bought it in the first place, and if Bioware wants send a signal that it is dedicated to this game, then it would be wise to begin communicating and recognizing issues.

Edit: I am now understanding that some people disagree with the premise that this thread begins with: that the game is in need of "resuscitation." Please ignore that point momentarily if you disagree.

Proof SW:TOR is declining: massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/swtor-uk-sales-take-a-dive/

Well, for those of who may know me (because they despise me) from my rampant pre-launch criticisms of this game, including ones derived from beta experience, it's happening. Most of the beta testers' concerns were not addressed, and that leaves us with the current state of the game.

SW:TOR is a game with great potential. That being said, MMOs only get one shot, and this is SW:TOR's. Bioware MUST implement the following (a consolidated list of fixes that I have heard demanded by numerous people within the community) before the free 30 days game-time period ends.

THE LIST:

- Chat bubbles (with the option to disable for those of us who are introverted within the community, myself included.)

- Add a combat log. I will say this again. ADD A COMBAT LOG. IT IS A *MUST!* A combat log is needed for damage/healing/tank mitigation parses. If you are serious about having guilds progress in non-mediocre PvE content, these are essential.

- ADD TARGET OF TARGET into the game. Over-haul the UI in general.

- Fix bugs in general, but most importantly the ones pertaining to the mail system (where an item can be lost forever if the bug occurs.)

- Add FOCUS TARGETS.

- Fix graphical optimization bugs - i.e. random FPS drops. Many, many people (including myself) are reporting random FPS drops in areas such as the Republic Fleet's various areas.

- Fix aesthetic bugs, such as ones with the apparent color of armor (some helmets turn up unnaturally black, etc.)

- Add a fail safe (purchase confirmation) to item purchases and skill learns. Many people have lost commendations/credits for accidentally misclicking while using a high-sensitivity/DPI mouse and purchasing the wrong item.

- Overhaul the auction house system (GTN.) Add a search option, remove the 50 item limit on your auctions, and add bid/buyout functionality that isn't feudalistic and outdated.

- SERVER FORUMS. THIS IS A MUST TO ENSURE THAT A STRONG SERVER-COMMUNITY MANIFESTS ITSELF!

- Guild bank and a better guild interface. Add options to mass invite all players of x, y, z criteria to a raid group, for example.

- More camera options. THE OPTION TO DISABLE "SMART CAMERA PIVOT" SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED!

- Implement a threat parse so that tanks can actually gage how much threat they have on targets. Right now, they are in the dark and they have a disproportionally stressful job. I can personally testify that I don't know a single person, nor do I think such a person exists or is common, that appreciates the current system of things pertaining to threat.

- An LFG system over-haul. I'm not saying it should be automated and teleport you to the location of whatever it is you're doing like WoW does, but there needs to be increased support for this. Perhaps introducing a channel with some extra features dedicated to creating groups would do it.

- Improve your servers so that you do not have to create two separate instances for a mere 50 people in a SINGLE sub-zone. That is just asinine and removes the social/community atmosphere from the game. I bought an MMORPG, not a single-player Mass Effect RPG.

- Fix accessibility to PvP gear. As it stands, many are reporting it is MUCH TOO EASY to acquire.

- Allow people to queue for SPECIFIC WARZONES.

- ADD MACROS.

- A customizable UI with third party add-on support. All healers (experienced healers) that I know cringe at the lack of a customizable UI. Click-to-heal made healing fun. Bioware MUST implement this.

- >>>>>>>Ensure mouse-over heal support.<<<<<<<

- A fix to optimization issues. Great machines are not running this game so great.

- A fix to delay issues that are not related to latency. People have "50 ms" latency and have a 3-4 second delay on select abilities.

- Better customer support. Hire MORE people, HAND THEM a company policy book, and GET them helping people out. No excuse for not having enough people when you knew how much traffic there would be on launch day.

- Buy a better swtor.com server. No reason why your WEBSITE should have queues when practically every MMO, including ones that have been less or more successful, did not have queues at launch, nevermind post-launch.

- Increase the number of players allowed on a server. Don't hide subscription numbers by artificially inflating server size. Reportedly, only 2000-2500 players are allowed per server, which is horrible. Bump that number up significantly, even if it is done gradually, or you're in trouble. The game world is already pretty empty in some places as is.

- Re-instate the appearance unifier, even if temporarily. No reason why a battle-hardened Trooper should look literally like a clown with a rain-bow themed assortment of ballistic armor plates.

- Have community managers COMMUNICATE to the player base that Bioware understands our issues and is working diligently on fixing them. As of now, it appears as though y'all are pretending NOTHING is wrong. Wake up.

- Dissolve the universal PvP bracket. Put in SPECIALIZED PvP brackets instead. A 1-49 bracket and then a 50 bracket would be a great start, but preferrably, just do a 1-30, 30-49, and then a 50 bracket. If the player base grows further (big if here), then dissect the brackets further and specialize them to an even greater extent. A level 50 has much more utility and more abilities in its arsenal than a level 15. Even if they have the same stats, that is UNFAIR because the level 50 has a vested advantage. That's why there should always be brackets, albeit with the boost system retained.

- Work towards providing the PvP community with something with more longevity and something that fosters community. That something is an arena system with arena maps. This would go a LONG way for the PvP community.

- Address content-related player concerns. Let us know what the horizon is bringing, and by this I mean, RELEASE MORE OPERATIONS/WARZONES and RATED WARZONES and give us an estimated time of arrival that is not too far off.

- A space overhaul. Not sure if the Hero engine can handle it, but space combat is just abysmal after the first few flying sortees. Something closer to SWG space but IMPROVED because this is 2011 and not 2004 would be required.

Let me know if I missed something. The aforementioned were the most common issues presented to myself by other members of this community.

If you support this list or want to petition me to add something to it, please say so.

TL;DR: pick a random spot on the list and read it. See if you agree.

That's the list. It's your choice to make this game or break it, Bioware.

Ball's in your court.

It's a check, but will it be a check-mate?

First, initial sale will usually take a dive shortly after release since the people interested in a game run out and buy it when it is first released people first run out to buy a game or recieve it for a gift when it is a holiday release. The question will be do the subs stay stead after the first 30 days.

Second, quite a few of the items you want are already coming to the game. UI customization, matching for armor, combat log some new space combat features.

Third, some issues clearly are not understood by you. Lets take pvp brackets. There already are lvl brackets. However, if after awhile there are not enough players to fill a bracket those people are moved into another bracket and buffing takes place. The idea is this si better than having people sit around waiting hours. Since people are buffed so that even a lvl 10 can help against lvl 50's it is a nice system they have.

Fourth, The devs have stated several times that they are slowly increasing both the number of people on a server and the number it takes to create a new shard ( and therir desire to do away with shards eventually.

Fifth, there already was a nice long post on things we can expect in the future. Additionaly, we do not need the Devs to post comments on a thread that is just the 12 thread that day on the same topic to go along with the 24 threads on that topic from the day before.

While that article on massively may be true, you're not doing yourself any favors by labeling that "proof" of your point. It could as easily be proof that the holiday season just ended.

I also find it interesting that you list chat bubbles but not the chat bug itself, which prevents many people from almost all communication entirely. Priorities... ?

Sadly, your list looks like it could have been the last 3 months of polishing if they didn't push this baby out too soon >.>

Edited by EwokLuvr

First, initial sale will usually take a dive shortly after release since the people interested in a game run out and buy it when it is first released people first run out to buy a game or recieve it for a gift when it is a holiday release. The question will be do the subs stay stead after the first 30 days.

Second, quite a few of the items you want are already coming to the game. UI customization, matching for armor, combat log some new space combat features.

Third, some issues clearly are not understood by you. Lets take pvp brackets. There already are lvl brackets. However, if after awhile there are not enough players to fill a bracket those people are moved into another bracket and buffing takes place. The idea is this si better than having people sit around waiting hours. Since people are buffed so that even a lvl 10 can help against lvl 50's it is a nice system they have.

Fourth, The devs have stated several times that they are slowly increasing both the number of people on a server and the number it takes to create a new shard ( and therir desire to do away with shards eventually.

Fifth, there already was a nice long post on things we can expect in the future. Additionaly, we do not need the Devs to post comments on a thread that is just the 12 thread that day on the same topic to go along with the 24 threads on that topic from the day before.

+1. If anyone actually knew what Xugos has done in the past is to edit, remove or add to the previous posts that he has made when he has been called out, or have proof against him for lying.

In this one, he takes a link to try and provide proof that TOR is declining, while also saying 90 out of 150 will quit in his guild so that means TOR is on the decline.

I just hope people can tell the difference between the trolling part of the post and what really needs to be fixed.

Edited by darthdoll

Star Wars: The Old Republic... that IS the game you're playing right? Let's see: WASD, talent trees, a space bar to jump up and down, can fall to your death, hotkey bar with tumbler rows, a minimap, a chat window, a quest log, nameplates, oh yeah - can't forget those all important loot drops and an auction house to sell them in. Did I miss anything really important? Because those define the MMO genre, not any one game.

Gosh!

And here I thought I was playing Everquest.

Thank you for the information!

Now if only I could get you a link to the interview I was talking about in the post you are quoting... but getting links from 2008 or something... my search fu is not that strong and the magazines from back then are long since recycled.

Then again you wouldn't care, as you missed the point. The op is asking for certain improvements to gameplay and is basically being told by some to "go back to WoW".

Now some of us are comming in to tell these people that "Hey! Learning from previous MMOs isn't a bad thing! Besides, the Devs have never hidden the fact that they aimed to do that." and that offends you because ? Ah, yes. An abbreviation was used that brings out the inner troll in people.

As far as learning from old MMOs goes, there is these neat little old article I did stumble across trying to find you the actual quote I was refering to:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/910/910378p1.html

With the amound of general trollness usually frequenting gaming forums though, again: This link is not refering to my previous post. Different thing.

Add: pre-emptive *sigh* ;)

Gosh!

And here I thought I was playing Everquest.

Thank you for the information!

Now if only I could get you a link to the interview I was talking about in the post you are quoting... but getting links from 2008 or something... my search fu is not that strong and the magazines from back then are long since recycled.

Then again you wouldn't care, as you missed the point. The op is asking for certain improvements to gameplay and is basically being told by some to "go back to WoW".

Now some of us are comming in to tell these people that "Hey! Learning from previous MMOs isn't a bad thing! Besides, the Devs have never hidden the fact that they aimed to do that." and that offends you because ? Ah, yes. An abbreviation was used that brings out the inner troll in people.

As far as learning from old MMOs goes, there is these neat little old article I did stumble across trying to find you the actual quote I was refering to:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/910/910378p1.html

With the amound of general trollness usually frequenting gaming forums though, again: This link is not refering to my previous post. Different thing.

Add: pre-emptive *sigh* ;)

Read the IGN piece with Schubert - thank you! The "why do the whole copying in the first place" part is what threw me off I guess. As far as the end game success model goes, as long as patches and end game content/expansions don't devolve around the use of cheats for boss fight coreography and mechanics then I agree.

Much of how Blizz did stuff might be out of place in a Star Wars setting though because the dynamics that comprise the protagonist/antagonist elements are dissimilar. Waves of Sith attacking waves of Jedi in a battlestation hangar ... armadas of ships dogfighting just outside ... sections of the ship exploding all around while the intrepid party of heroes fight their way through tons of minions en route to delivering a princess to an escape shuttle in said hangar bay and seeing her off safely probably wouldn't work using Ragnaros-style fight mechanics.

I appreciate the intelligent dialogue. :)

Edited by GalacticKegger