Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware, You Want to Resuscitate This Game? Then Implement The Following.

Xugos

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LEague of Legends - Riot listens? LOL ok, because out of all the MOBA games it is the least balanced mess. its a grind game, with a kiddy theme that somewhat resembles DOTA ... in addition to this it was FREE before the competition.

HoN is higher quality, the original DoTA is higher quality .... you seems to be putting so much enphasis "on most popular = highest quality" when its just plain wrong.

Also, when WoW had so many problems in their beginning phase it was because not only were MMOs still fairly new, but it grew so fast that they could barely keep up.

Would you rather have a company that is having a problem keeping up with an insanely growing player base, or one that is having problems keeping things under control from a massive loss?

Editor's note: I didn't quote your entire post, as I only want to go into that last statement.

WoW had problems at start. Massive problems. It also launched with no raids. At least there are some in SW-ToR...buggy or not. I also remember right-clicking mail-boxes and having to wait for minutes before I could claim any mail. But I digress.

Would it be entirely impossible to imagine that SW-ToR could be having problems, yet grow nonetheless? Just like WoW did??

I don't think that's impossible at all.

You could argue, of course, that the MMO-community of 2011 is different to the one of 2004, and as such more prone to leaving a game at the first hint of a problem. But I don't buy into that premise. If the base is solid enough. If the heart and the soul is there, if you will, then ppl will stay.

Very nice list. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Though i believe it is too early to complain about new content, some of the things listed should have been included in this game upon release.

But I guess we all have different expectations/standards.

Like I've said a million times, I've played other MMOs and even at a point I was like you.

Then I realized how fast it actually hits. Death can appear quicker than you expect.

Warhammer is an ideal example.

I'm not over-dramatizing anything, I'm saying this from experience.

Also, when WoW had so many problems in their beginning phase it was because not only were MMOs still fairly new, but it grew so fast that they could barely keep up.

Would you rather have a company that is having a problem keeping up with an insanely growing player base, or one that is having problems keeping things under control from a massive loss?

WoW is just a stale re-make of itself as is MW3.

Both are at the top of their market.

However, BF3 took as many things as they could that have been successful and implemented it and is a success all the while being second to MW3. Though, it isn't in MW3's shadow. It's a threat.

FPS is greatly different from an MMO because even though more population benefits you, it is as long as you can still get a game.

Those changes, by the way, are because people like Xugos and I strive to make change.

You missed the end part on purpose im guessing.

All the "gripes" in the OP are works in progress, again what does whining and copy pasting all the same tired negativities achieve?

The CORE of this game is fantastic. and you say that this is different from FPS "because as long as you get a game going its fine" ... im sorry how did i benefit from millions of players in WoW? they still took 5-6 months to add new content or anything or any value... as long as i could get instances going it was fine because world-play was non existant outside of gathering and leveling.

You may be correct, but I think they have at least until the end of the free 30 day period to resuscitate this game.

Anyone who thinks they can fix every bug in 30 days and add required things like /LFG and server forums is just smoking crack. If you took every game dev on the planet from every company they still couldnt fix a game in 30 days. Stop wishing for the impossible

"WoW had many problems because MMOs were new" what the hell are you talking about? it had a perfect experianced theme-park mmo or 2 before its time.

WoW took ALOT from Everquest and Final Fantasy 11 .... both games worked perfectly well, but no doubt took time to develope, so by your stupid logic WoW should of been perfect off the bat.

Its idiotic... you cant just take WoW and clone it bug free, considering the engines, code and art assets are all done from scratch WITH DIFFERENT MINDs.

There is no godamn mmo blue-print like some kids seem to dream up, different engines and minds create different problems.

Editor's note: I didn't quote your entire post, as I only want to go into that last statement.

WoW had problems at start. Massive problems. It also launched with no raids. At least there are some in SW-ToR...buggy or not. I also remember right-clicking mail-boxes and having to wait for minutes before I could claim any mail. But I digress.

Would it be entirely impossible to imagine that SW-ToR could be having problems, yet grow nonetheless? Just like WoW did??

I don't think that's impossible at all.

You could argue, of course, that the MMO-community of 2011 is different to the one of 2004, and as such more prone to leaving a game at the first hint of a problem. But I don't buy into that premise. If the base is solid enough. If the heart and the soul is there, if you will, then ppl will stay.

No, you quoted it all, but the way I worded things made it sound bad when it shouldn't of.

People won't stay, you need to have strong foundation like I've said which we don't have in this game. Just because you lack content doesn't mean people will auto-quit. They can wait as long as the game is worth waiting for. Just like a pretty woman.

WoW had those problems mostly due to it growing so massively out of their control in contrast to other MMOs having problems because they were losing so many.

Yes, it does matter. BioWare knew they were releasing an MMO which is in direct conflict with WoW whether they want to believe so or not. They have to release a strong game which they didn't, but they came out and announced some great changes. Though not all were addressed, it showed some concern and they said they heard us. Now we are fighting time.

Anyone who thinks they can fix every bug in 30 days and add required things like /LFG and server forums is just smoking crack. If you took every game dev on the planet from every company they still couldnt fix a game in 30 days. Stop wishing for the impossible

Assuming what you say is all good and true and awesome, the only conclusion that can be drawn then, is that this game is in Beta.

If you do not like that conclusion, (which 75% of you won't) then I offer another, this game was not, and still is not ready for release.

All the "gripes" in the OP are works in progress, again what does whining and copy pasting all the same tired negativities achieve?

The CORE of this game is fantastic. and you say that this is different from FPS "because as long as you get a game going its fine" ... im sorry how did i benefit from millions of players in WoW? they still took 5-6 months to add new content or anything or any value... as long as i could get instances going it was fine because world-play was non existant outside of gathering and leveling.

And the gathering part was a real frustration as a huge amount of nodes were phantom/unfarmable for months. In some zones this problem also exists in SWTOR and was especially painful in Taris. Bioware had all but a few in Taris fixed within the first week, so I fully trust they will get around to fixing everything else in due course. Edited by GalacticKegger

No, you quoted it all, but the way I worded things made it sound bad when it shouldn't of.

People won't stay, you need to have strong foundation like I've said which we don't have in this game. Just because you lack content doesn't mean people will auto-quit. They can wait as long as the game is worth waiting for. Just like a pretty woman.

WoW had those problems mostly due to it growing so massively out of their control in contrast to other MMOs having problems because they were losing so many.

Yes, it does matter. BioWare knew they were releasing an MMO which is in direct conflict with WoW whether they want to believe so or not. They have to release a strong game which they didn't, but they came out and announced some great changes. Though not all were addressed, it showed some concern and they said they heard us. Now we are fighting time.

And that....in a nut-shell is where you and I don't agree. I see that strong foundation every where I go in SW-ToR...apparently you don't. Nothing wrong with disagreeing :)

I just don't miss all those things that you and others say are needed to have a solid base.

Perhaps it's because I never PvP...I don't know?

Anyways. At least it seems we can agree that we disagree :)

The OP has some good suggestions. Customizable UI I like and the threat system is indeed totally jacked right now. And it blows my mind that there isn't server forums.

I personally do not want third-party mods and addons. Just fix the UI in game so we don't have to turn to addons.

The server restrictions and 1-5 system is weird and confusing. I too want to see other people in my MMOs.

I'll give BioWare more like three to six months to fix this stuff.

Oh Xugos, my favorite forum troll.. I was hoping your nay-saying had ended back in the late Beta days when YOU got caught on SWTOR Forums and MMO-Champ forums lying about everything under the sun about how broke this game was.

Sad that you STILL cant be pleased with anything.

You've been told this a million times now, THIS GAME IS **NOT** WoW. It will never be WoW. Stop comparing every single thing this game has or does not have to WoW.

This game does not need macro's. It doesnt need segregated warzone brackets. It doesnt need arena.

In an FPS, you are not in a world like you are in SWTOR. Interaction only comes in from matchmaking. I've been playing LoL for a while and even then I was surprised it jumped to over a million at peak times playing.

It didn't change the way I played LoL because it is only through matchmaking.

MMOs are a world - the more people the more you can just do anything in the game. World PvP, instances, social interaction, guilds, etc.

WoW takes its time to release their content to keep the playerbase looking for the next new thing instead of beating it all instantly then quiting.

Y'all hate on me for mentioning WoW but in turn, it is you that keep making me bring it up.

The CORE of the game is NOT fantastic and I know they will eventually get there, but time is of the essence.

"WoW had many problems because MMOs were new" what the hell are you talking about? it had a perfect experianced theme-park mmo or 2 before its time.

WoW took ALOT from Everquest and Final Fantasy 11 .... both games worked perfectly well, but no doubt took time to develope, so by your stupid logic WoW should of been perfect off the bat.

Its idiotic... you cant just take WoW and clone it bug free, considering the engines, code and art assets are all done from scratch WITH DIFFERENT MINDs.

There is no godamn mmo blue-print like some kids seem to dream up, different engines and minds create different problems.

MMO or 2. Thank you for proving my point. Blizzard also learned a lot from EQ and took ideas, but you don't hear people calling WoW an Everquest of Warcraft.

I don't think the OP understands what "Resuscitate" means.

Actually, he does but already stated he should of titled it differently.

LEague of Legends - Riot listens? LOL ok, because out of all the MOBA games it is the least balanced mess. its a grind game, with a kiddy theme that somewhat resembles DOTA ... in addition to this it was FREE before the competition.

HoN is higher quality, the original DoTA is higher quality .... you seems to be putting so much enphasis "on most popular = highest quality" when its just plain wrong.

I haven't even said anything about balance because I can't PvP or even PvE with others for that matter to even consider balance. Not only that, but we can't effectively compare DPS without meters. The only way I can see is by how fast he kills X.

Riot took the free route and made it work, but thats another story.

I'm not necessarily putting emphasis on the most popular being the highest quality, but being what people want. WoW is PvE based but has had the only and the best PvP of any MMO around.

Good points though, thank you.

I don't understand most of the criticisms of the list - and they are rare because most of the community appears to support it - because they would ultimately benefit everyone.

A combat log would not HARM YOU in anyway if it were in the game. It would only benefit you.

Much of what's there I'm not criticizing at all. My criticism was mostly based on the "FIX WITHIN 30 DAYS OR GAME FAILS" comment in the OP's post. It spins the list a bit in terms of a "Wish List" (which is great, and I've seen several and I'm sure the Devs follow those) to an ultimatum or ransom letter.

The other thing of course was the use of "resuscitate" on a game that I'm having a ball with playing. OP addressed that one directly, but still, can we dial back the drama? Game's been out 15 days.

Just because you can post on a forum doesn't make you a qualified game reviewer or industry games analyst.

I think a combat log would be great, and is probably one of the easier fixes in the system since there are already obvious triggers going around spurting out various hit numbers and damages taken. The question is if they have them all properly tagged to the type of weapon and attack ability. If not, that becomes a daunting task. If they have tagged them, then it's probably a moderately simple upgrade, and will probably show up soon unless the devs feel it has some particular method of breaking the game in some other way.

Mods and add-ons I'm not so sure about. It all depends on how the system was set up but frankly the UI is fine for my purposes and I've never found myself "fighting the UI". I'm not sure what the hell people are trying to do that they have a problem with the UI, with the exception of people playing the game on larger screens who want to zoom the elements. But hey, experiences vary.

The thing about mods is this... it means breaking the developer trust with the end-user.

As it is, BioWare controls the code. When you download patches and program elements, you get it from THEM. How many mods and add-ons get loaded with keystroke loggers and other security malware? Is there even a place where this is tracked for these other games? Granted, some other games companies have decided the trade-off is worth it. I'm not sure that means BioWare MUST be forced into the same value decision.

And one thing I have never seen from ANYONE demanding mods and add-ons in any of these dozens of posts is an understanding of this concept, or even a desire to avoid it coming to pass.

Oh Xugos, my favorite forum troll.. I was hoping your nay-saying had ended back in the late Beta days when YOU got caught on SWTOR Forums and MMO-Champ forums lying about everything under the sun about how broke this game was.

Sad that you STILL cant be pleased with anything.

You've been told this a million times now, THIS GAME IS **NOT** WoW. It will never be WoW. Stop comparing every single thing this game has or does not have to WoW.

This game does not need macro's. It doesnt need segregated warzone brackets. It doesnt need arena.

Truth.

and on a side note. WoW has breed the type of person that throws a temper tantrum in every game that doesnt have the same stuff WoW has. really is a shame, bet they're ok people in RL....

Just to show how uninformed you are about, well, pretty much everything...target of target is in the game. :rolleyes:

Hotkey it to you key of choice.

You misread or didn't at all anything he said.

Target of target with healthbars, not a weak hotkey. It also makes assisting MUCH easier.

Don't necessarily think they can but have no choice. It's now or never.

And that....in a nut-shell is where you and I don't agree. I see that strong foundation every where I go in SW-ToR...apparently you don't. Nothing wrong with disagreeing

I just don't miss all those things that you and others say are needed to have a solid base.

Perhaps it's because I never PvP...I don't know?

Anyways. At least it seems we can agree that we disagree

WHAT exactly do you see as strong? The entire time I'm fighting my UI - see previous posts.

Stop blindly following it.

To help you

I totally agree.

My main concern for now is the fact the basic UI works AGAINST me.

I can't even inspect someone because the inspection screen overlaps the character screen and I can't resize or move any of it. Also, of all my years of gaming the chat bar was in the bottom left which is now at the top.

To change that, I used the PvP raid bars for standard party bars but now when I join a PvP game, the bar stretches across my screen and I have to resize it where I can barely see debuffs, health, etc. of my teammates. Also it shows 3-4 empty party blocks.

To sum it up, all I do is work to fight the current UI rather than embrace it because it's THAT bad.

This is just PART of the UI that I fight against. I'm not even counting everything else. That is BAD foundation.

Edited by Treyzorz

Assuming what you say is all good and true and awesome, the only conclusion that can be drawn then, is that this game is in Beta.

If you do not like that conclusion, (which 75% of you won't) then I offer another, this game was not, and still is not ready for release.

False on both accounts. Your definition of "Beta" isn't one that's used by the development community anymore.

The existence of bugs in the code that haven't been fixed does not equal Beta. The absence of tools that people want does not equal Beta. Just because one game doesn't have all of the functionality of other games that are proprietary and have been out for many years does not equal Beta.

What makes it not ready for release? Your say-so? What part of the game have you not been able to explore or finish due to some game-breaking bug?

I do not like your conclusions because they are not supported by your premises, either expressed or implied.