Slicing is useless...

JazhLauern

While I agree with the Augment needs buffing. I'm kind of getting irritated seeing all these threads going "I can no longer print credits for doing nothing. This is so unfair."

Besides how easy it is to slice, do you really want this brought back up the beast it was? Players that refuse to roll Slicing because its a game breaker will be at odds and the GTN would inflate heavily thanks to so much disposable credits on the market. Sending your companions off should not give you an obvious gain, a small credit gain like it is now is more in line with the other missions skills out there.

Fix Augments and I would be quite content with slicing. Make augments ON PAR with what enchantments are in other MMO's and then we will have something to write home about with slicing.

Edited by Deadrifler

While slicing seemed a bit out of hand initially, the simple fact remains that any character that takes slicing is pretty much only going to have slicing since it doesn't support any crafting professions directly.

Mission payouts were nerfed into the ground without anyone bothering to look at mission COSTS. Now, there are missions that take forever only to return less credits than the mission cost.

It is readily apparent that the nerf was off the cuff without any though put in to it. This is a hard failing in many Dev teams and it is sad to see it here as well.

Unfortunately, slicing isn't the only Crew Skill that has issues. Artificers can't make tanking Shield Generators for Shadow and Darkness tanks and so they have only a few dropped items they can use. Materials for items needed to level are so rare that leveling has reached a choke point in some Crew Skills.

On top of it all, the credit costs for class skills, piloting, extra storage space and the like are ridiculous compared to the credits earned through normal game play, let alone without having Slicing pay out reasonable amounts.

Crew Skills need a pass bad. Otherwise they are a waste of time and credits.

it was stated even before the game was lauched.. if you constantly use your companions to do missions you WILL lose money .. what part of that don't you understand?

quit being lazy, go do the gathering yourself and quit crying

Anyone else find it ironic that the day after slicing got nerfed, that all the "gold" sellers started spamming people.

Thought i was the only one to notice that ...

And he's right ... Slicing is FACKING useless ...

Roughly 2 hours, 12 mission lockboxs, and i ended up with 35k and change in the bank, exactly what i started with.

Edited by Witnezz

Thought i was the only one to notice that ...

And he's right ... Slicing is FACKING useless ...

Roughly 2 hours, 12 mission lockboxs, and i ended up with 35k and change in the bank, exactly what i started with.

And in two hours I can make 7 to 10k in slicing alone (plus 4 to 8 recipe drops) with just the extra two companions that were normally sit there doing nothing... if I send them on missions ever 20 to 30 minutes... while I am out with the third companions running my own missions. It CAN be done, but it takes preparation and dedication to the craft. Keep a log, not all slicing missions are the same. There are enough of them that truly turn a good profit if you keep your companions busy 90% of the time your out and about doing your own thing.

All of you people saying you can't make money off of Slicing need to seriously learn how to play the market. It's not about the credit boxes. It's about the other things you get that will make you far more money in the long run.

Slicing as is is virtually worthless and honestly should just be removed. It gives no gain anymore, and on top of that it doesn't provide for anyone except cybertech (and then only a few schematics). If you take slicing you have gimped yourself in terms of crafting.

All of you people saying you can't make money off of Slicing need to seriously learn how to play the market. It's not about the credit boxes. It's about the other things you get that will make you far more money in the long run.

Just pray they don't ban you for playing the market. You might be a gold seller in disguise.

Seriously is it worth it to lose a companion for 60+ minutes to make 100 credits?

I keep hearing this utterly stupid statement. What the heck are you idiots doing to lose this money? I have 3 companions with 300 points in slicing and my companions are nowhere near the 10000 point cap and yet I make hundreds of credits on missions less than 15 minutes long. Put that together and I am making 3000c per hour without any criticals or stuff to sell on the GTN. That's post-nerf numbers sitting on my startship and not harvesting a single node.

Please stop whining about how bad Slicing is for you unless you want to actually explain what you are doing that is causing this failure. If I can make this kind of money with 3 companions then I know you can. All I can wonder is what the heck you are doing to fail so badly at what is still a highly profittable skill.

Slicing as is is virtually worthless and honestly should just be removed. It gives no gain anymore, and on top of that it doesn't provide for anyone except cybertech (and then only a few schematics). If you take slicing you have gimped yourself in terms of crafting.

Since it is not a crafting skill that should probably have been obvious from the get-go. If you want to craft something, take a skill that actually supports, I dunno, CRAFTING!

Complaining that Slicing doesn't support crafting is a waste of breath. It's not supposed to. Complaining that Slicing does not make you money is a statement that you are doing something wrong (see prior post). Complaining in general is not helpful in this context.

If you want to keep Slicing and make a profit using it then for heavens sake post what you are doing that is failing so hard and ask people who are happy with it what they are doing to make their profit. If you don't want to keep Slicing then quit worrying about it in general.

Edited by Rakashan

I keep hearing this utterly stupid statement. What the heck are you idiots doing to lose this money? I have 3 companions with 300 points in slicing and my companions are nowhere near the 10000 point cap and yet I make hundreds of credits on missions less than 15 minutes long. Put that together and I am making 3000c per hour without any criticals or stuff to sell on the GTN. That's post-nerf numbers sitting on my startship and not harvesting a single node.

Please stop whining about how bad Slicing is for you unless you want to actually explain what you are doing that is causing this failure. If I can make this kind of money with 3 companions then I know you can. All I can wonder is what the heck you are doing to fail so badly at what is still a highly profittable skill.

Hmm, 3 companions so your around level 30. Yes, those 3000c an hour, thats the average gain from completing 1 quest? And about 1/6th of purchasing a single skillrank?

Slicing doesnt scale, stop looking at the "awesome" low level yield. It does not get better. Even if you get to the point that a single death causes more repair cost then you could farm in an hour. And other crewskills simply make more money.

And to add to that, you need to SPEND more money. Got that lovely crafting skill? well you are missing one of two crewskills needed to support that because you picked Slicing. So you need to purchase such materials from the GTN.

That was the point of Slicing, make credits to offset the fact you were more dependant on the GTN and server economy for your material needs. And with 3k an hour? Please, you'd be saving up several hours just to craft 1 blue recipe.

Something that would take 1 mission and a fraction of the cost if you picked the right mission/gathering skill.

Hardly working, hardly profitable. Other gathering skills generate a far greater revenue. Either directly from GTN sales, or indirectly by saving money. Good example is Scavenging and the Flux. I send my companion on a mission to get Thermoplast Flux, he comes back with 20 of those. Buying them from a vendor would be 2400credits, the mission however was only 900. I need those Thermoplast, so that mission saved me 1500 credits.

And people say missions only drain money.

Edited by Terrahero

Anyone else find it ironic that the day after slicing got nerfed, that all the "gold" sellers started spamming people.

This is what BW doesn't understand. Now that slicing produces 30% or so of what it did, we are getting spammed and whispered about buying credits.

The farmers are winning, BW. Slicing was your leg up on them!

Just pray they don't ban you for playing the market. You might be a gold seller in disguise.

Yes, I highly doubt that as I don't try to inflate the market. In fact I generally undercut most people as long as it is to a profit to myself. That is called playing the market. You sell what you have to people that want it for a price they find acceptable.

And as far as the rest of you that keep whining about Slicing. You are the people that probably got all weepy when you found out how much credits you could make before the nerf and are upset that you didn't get your fingers into it while you had the chance.

And no, I didn't get a chance to get my fingers into it...and I am still making enough credits to buy everything I want and not drop below roughly 40k.

Learn To Play

Now that slicing had been nerf.. Missions at 400 cost more than they return as lockboxes..

I find it useless to use now..

From a lvl 25 shadow, with 400 slicing.

The cost of one mission its around 1600 and it usually returns 1450...

I dont think its worth having slicing now..

interesting. I have two different lvl 49-50 slicing missions that cost 14-1500 credits. One is Plug the Hople or leak or something, the other is Azure something or other. Both take about 30 minutes.

I have been tracking for a couple days now and I have had one plug "failure" that returned only 1400 credits, the other 50 or so have all been profits. Returns range from 1600-2200 (100-700 profit)

For azure I have had no losses and returns on the cases have been 1550 - 6230. yeah that 6230 must have been a bug or something, next one below that is 4170 and then 3882. But a number have been in the 2k and 3k range.

Getting rich, no. But useless, not really.

I just log in while at work and send Bowdaar and Risha out on these two missions again and again and again. Not like there is anything else to do.

And while actually playing the game last night running around doing the Baldorra Bonus missions I picked up 31 cases and got 19k. Thats all profit.

I know. Seriously is it worth it to lose a companion for 60+ minutes to make 100 credits? That same companion can make that much from a couple mobs at 26 in a minute at most. I can make that much now at 20 in the time it takes me to bring up the screen, select the companion, scroll through the missions till I find a decent one and select the mission to send them on.

And if you fail and lose 2000 credits...congrats you now have to run 20 successful missions just to break even from where you started. Slicing has been nerfed into total uselessness and it's probably worse for you to take it at all. Way to knee jerk nerf Blizza...uh Bioware.

I have 5 companions, but only one can adventure with me. At my level only 3 can be otherwise engaged. Why not send them out?

But my avg is closer to 500c per mission, not counting the bonus missions I keep or sell. And again, while I work I can not play the game, but logging in every now and then and clicking a button is worth it. And the missions I am running are 26-30 minutes in length. I can easily get 10 of them in X2 companions running them (I have my 3rd doing UWT) That is 10k with very little effort on my part.

So to call it useless is going a bit far.

Funny, not sure how I did it but after the nerf, I started slicing. I ended up very rich.. I could pay for the speeder piloting, bought a speeder, and a few days after (now) had 50k credits. Not to mention I've been buying new armors from the GTN as well using the money I got from Slicing

Not sure how it was before the nerf, but it still makes me money.. including 4000k-ish minimum per schematic I sold at GTN

interesting. I have two different lvl 49-50 slicing missions that cost 14-1500 credits. One is Plug the Hople or leak or something, the other is Azure something or other. Both take about 30 minutes.

I have been tracking for a couple days now and I have had one plug "failure" that returned only 1400 credits, the other 50 or so have all been profits. Returns range from 1600-2200 (100-700 profit)

For azure I have had no losses and returns on the cases have been 1550 - 6230. yeah that 6230 must have been a bug or something, next one below that is 4170 and then 3882. But a number have been in the 2k and 3k range.

Getting rich, no. But useless, not really.

I just log in while at work and send Bowdaar and Risha out on these two missions again and again and again. Not like there is anything else to do.

And while actually playing the game last night running around doing the Baldorra Bonus missions I picked up 31 cases and got 19k. Thats all profit.

Yeah see, the nerf hit profits on slicing so hard that it's like a drop in the bucket, especially as you inch toward level 50. That said, slicing is still useful for cybernetic schematics and missions. I constantly run grade 5/6 lockbox missions because my guildies practically salivate over those purple 300/340 missions. And the ones they can't use, I can sell for a couple thousand credits.

Sure, I wish I still made a decent profit from the skill, but as long as I don't lose credits running them over time, I'll keep doing them all day long for those bonuses.

Hmm, 3 companions so your around level 30. Yes, those 3000c an hour, thats the average gain from completing 1 quest? And about 1/6th of purchasing a single skillrank?

Slicing doesnt scale, stop looking at the "awesome" low level yield. It does not get better. Even if you get to the point that a single death causes more repair cost then you could farm in an hour. And other crewskills simply make more money.

I agree with what you've said and most of the rest of your post as well but that was not what I was addressing as the quote in my original post demonstrated. I can't address Slicing and whether or not it scales but I can absolutely state that I am earning more money than every one of the whiners going on about how they make 100c per mission and I am doing it with fewer companions who have lower affection which means that none of them are actually demonstrating the true earning potential of Slicing. Every mission I am running is still available to them and yet they're finding a way to lose money on missions?

I was not trying to address how it compares to other crafting which seems to be the crux of your argument (I can't save based on the whining in the forums which is probably as suspect as the whining about how Slicing is losing people money). I *do* know that I have picked up a number of missions and schema which sell well on the GTN or are useful to me for my Cybertech toon and someone is going to have to continue doing Slicing or those schemas will no longer be available (and their prices will rise with demand making Slicers more money).

My intent has always been to use Slicing until I hit 50 so I had cash available to train and expand inventory and so on and then drop it for Cybertech on that toon and thus far it's working like a charm.