Appearance Armor

Ludanyke

I really disliked the LotRO system because there was far to easy to use. Buy the appearance stuff from the turbine store, and you're done. After that you had to do nothing to keep things the way you wanted them. What armor you found became more or less pointless because nothing would look as good as what you already had.

IMO it robbed all the fun of finding new armor because I knew I'd never actually see what it looked like.

You can say the exact same thing about orange slots, except it is just a pain in the *** to use as appearance customization. When you have collected a set you like, what then? It's too expensive to go switching the mods all the time so you are stuck with one look, and thus very likely have little interest in the new sets anyway. What you describe is a thing coming from appearance customization itself, not how "easy" it is to use the feature. I would dare say that appearance slots would actually increase interest in the looks of the new sets because you can change your appearance on the fly, thus it is viable to have more sets with you - it's not if the system is unnecessarily complicated for what it hopes to achieve (and expensive).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am beginning to see a common theme with the ppl against equip appearance. The have either never played a mmo with equip appearance or they are crafters afraid of losing dump trucks full of money that they make from selling augmented orange gear over and over again for 200k each x5 every time you want to change your look. there is NO OTHER REASON not to love equip appearance.

I am beginning to see a common theme with the ppl against equip appearance. The have either never played a mmo with equip appearance or they are crafters afraid of losing dump trucks full of money that they make from selling augmented orange gear over and over again for 200k each x5 every time you want to change your look. there is NO OTHER REASON not to love equip appearance.
Other than it's a broken system that has never been anything more than the correction to an initial oversight that SWTOR does not have? Or that it is never properly integrated into other systems boasted by the games that add appearance tabs? Perhaps that SWTOR already has a dedicated appearance customization system in place that is innovative and integral to several primary game systems, and that the addition of appearance tabs would negate any and all developer resources poured into said system since its inception?

Yeah, I guess there's no other reasons ... :rolleyes:

Other than it's a broken system that has never been anything more than the correction to an initial oversight that SWTOR does not have? Or that it is never properly integrated into other systems boasted by the games that add appearance tabs? Perhaps that SWTOR already has a dedicated appearance customization system in place that is innovative and integral to several primary game systems, and that the addition of appearance tabs would negate any and all developer resources poured into said system since its inception?

Yeah, I guess there's no other reasons ... :rolleyes:

OMG....lmao is that the best you got...lol relay??? relay? Just say it " im greedy and I love the credits I make from crafting orange augmented gear". Just be honest .You cant just make up things and call them fact...lol. Equip appearance works great in many many games eq2, swg, ect ect. And thank you for the laugh.

Edited by WaliceDrel

and that the addition of appearance tabs would negate any and all developer resources poured into said system since its inception?

Are you kidding ? We are asking for an appearance tab because there is plenty of unused skin (one reason of many). There is a lot of green/blue items you don't have as an orange item. Items a lot of people worked hard to put into the game, and nobody use.

Also, so far it's IMPOSSIBLE to use more than 1orange armor piece if you don't want to loose the 4set bonus from tionese/columi/rakata (and pvp stuff I don't know the name), which mean a lot of people just look like the same.

But yeah, trying to bring more variety in the game using unused skin is negating the devs work.

Anyway, the orange/mod/augment system is a good system for gameplay purpose. It's not as an appearance system. You can have both, and keep the crafter happy, they will continue to craft augmented item, and will ALSO craft unique skin item for appearance purpose. Also, you add dye schematics, and you have even MORE craft to do.

I fully support an appearance tab.

Have played enough MMOs with such a system, and even though I craft somewhat I do not craft outfits in SWTOR. So both your points are not talking about me, still I don't see the necessity of an appearance tap in SWTOR.

The appearance tap in most games felt like an illusion, but nothing that my character is truly wearing. So I like it how BioWare does it, that the stats are truly on my gear that I am showing people. Sure, it is expensive to swap mods (but thats good for the game economy) and sure, we have not enough variation on orange outfits yet (but I hope BioWare is working on it, to give us many more in the future).

The true benefit of how BioWare does it, is that people are actually looking on how the new gear looks, before they decide to pull out the mods, rather than not caring at all about the look after they got a look which they would like to keep. Before release of the game there were huge threads about this topic, and quite a few people didn't liked the idea of having a separated outfit for the look and one for the stats. I think BioWare found a very neat solution to it.

All you do is create a vendor that sells appearance slots for every class type and part for 100k a piece. If you're a BH and you want to wear a Jedi Robe, you buy a jedi chest slot for 100k and you're good to go. The appearance slot would simply over-ride your own BH chest slot, then the actual Jedi chest piece would stack on top of that.

Have played enough MMOs with such a system, and even though I craft somewhat I do not craft outfits in SWTOR. So both your points are not talking about me, still I don't see the necessity of an appearance tap in SWTOR.

The appearance tap in most games felt like an illusion, but nothing that my character is truly wearing. So I like it how BioWare does it, that the stats are truly on my gear that I am showing people. Sure, it is expensive to swap mods (but thats good for the game economy)in other words im a crafter and sure, we have not enough variation on orange outfits yet (but I hope BioWare is working on it, to give us many more in the future).

The true benefit of how BioWare does it, is that people are actually looking on how the new gear looks, before they decide to pull out the mods, rather than not caring at all about the look after they got a look which they would like to keep. Before release of the game there were huge threads about this topic, and quite a few people didn't liked the idea of having a separated outfit for the look and one for the stats. I think BioWare found a very neat solution to it.

Did you take the time to read ANY of the posts in this thread or just skip to the end? I suggest you read this whole post so you can com back and edit your statement.

Edited by WaliceDrel

I really disliked the LotRO system because there was far to easy to use. Buy the appearance stuff from the turbine store, and you're done. After that you had to do nothing to keep things the way you wanted them. What armor you found became more or less pointless because nothing would look as good as what you already had.

IMO it robbed all the fun of finding new armor because I knew I'd never actually see what it looked like.

Simple solution's DON'T BUY IT...lol. For the rest of us that is exactly why we want it So our toon will look exactly like we want them to.

Are you kidding ? We are asking for an appearance tab because there is plenty of unused skin (one reason of many). There is a lot of green/blue items you don't have as an orange item. Items a lot of people worked hard to put into the game, and nobody use.
And all of those skins are being added as orange-quality shells. As such, on this point appearance tabs are unnecessary.

Also, so far it's IMPOSSIBLE to use more than 1orange armor piece if you don't want to loose the 4set bonus from tionese/columi/rakata (and pvp stuff I don't know the name), which mean a lot of people just look like the same.
Irrelevant. This is the state of things now, sure, but not in the future. The near future, even; sets already exist in the game that are better than those you name. Once they become the standard, what you describe will no longer be of any concern. Will never be a concern in the future, either, as all set from this point forward are going to boast the set bonus on the primary modification.

Anyway, the orange/mod/augment system is a good system for gameplay purpose. It's not as an appearance system. You can have both, and keep the crafter happy, they will continue to craft augmented item, and will ALSO craft unique skin item for appearance purpose. Also, you add dye schematics, and you have even MORE craft to do.
Its role as a appearance system is the Idem Modification system's primary purpose, one it fulfills wonderfully. A dye system should not be added, though; they never work properly, due to limitations of the technology in place. Edited by HeavensAgent

wow, this argument is still going. the current gear system is still a mixed bag and has many left overs from development. The orange system is great, but it's not done, not by a long way.

The simple fact is the current orange/purple/modable/whatever systems do not quite allow for enough easy accessible stat modification, but they do not even come close to allowing true appearance customisation.

the system is not bad, its just not good, yet, it will be, but it should be focussed on building armor stats, implement a simple appearance with integrated dye tab to allow players to change how they look easily.

Its only a matter of time before BW implement an appearance and dye system, on top of their ongoing development to the orange gear system it will make a truly genre defining gear system, right now its just meh!

I'm in favor of an appearance tab, and allowing all classes to equip any gear weight in these slots. As it stands now, social gear is useless to most classes.

Appearance is almost entirely a fluff game enjoyment factor, with almost no tactical value. PVP is probably the only case where it has some tactical effect, and in this case just auto-disable appearance slots when PVP flagged.

Implementing this option would also add some additional value to crafting since folks would be inclined to commission items purely for the appearance value.

IMO the pros greatly out-weigh the cons.

Hey, I just noticed a suggestion I had about armour looks would have been much better posted on this discussion than having it's own thread.

I will use Trooper armour as an example for this suggestion as that's what I have the most experience in using, heh. My suggestion follows along similar lines as the current mod system, just with 2-3 extra slots which will affect the appearance of the armour itself.

The 3 mods will cover the armour style, colour pattern and colour theme for a set of appearance customisable armour (This feature could be purely for future sets of armour, much like how set-bonuses in mods is only for current new gear). With each new set of armour released there will be a base style, which will be fairly minimal in detail (Heavy armour shows plates for protection etc, but no asymmetric extra plate like on the War Hero set).

Currently I have thought up of 3 style mods that will add to the appearance of the armour. One set around elegant/ornamental/formal dress/honour guard style which will make any piece it is placed in that little bit flashy (Pipping around edges, showing medals, stylised shoulder armour), another set around rugged/scout/well travelled that will give armour a look that it's used and practical (Survival pouches, weather protection, knife pouches) and finally another set to make armour more menacing/defensive (Extra plating like the asymmetrical shoulders on War Hero set, Spikes, Trophies)

Finally the last 2 mods will affect the colour pattern and actual colours of the armour.

This would allow people to pick and choose to a style they like but the actual armour base itself should be recognisable

Edited by Auldare
Spelling

Hey, I just noticed a suggestion I had about armour looks would have been much better posted on this discussion than having it's own thread.

I had a similar idea for appearance armor and an appearance tab, again to both provide players the freedom to customize appearance and bolster crafting.

Basically appearance armor could only be equipped to an appearance slot. Appearance armor would have appearance mod slots for customizing the look in ways you couldn't with typical protection armor. Some possible mod slots...

Pattern: Alters the texture applied to the armor model.

Primary Color: Alters the primary color of the pattern.

Secondary Color: Alters the secondary color of the pattern.

Effect: Applies lights/glow/particle effects to the armor piece.

Adornment: Additions to the base model, for example spikes, fins, pipes, pouch, cape, cloak, plating.

I too am in for some sort of appearance tab or appearance changes, I think I picked 3 of the most ridiculous classes as far as Armor is concerned. Smuggler (aka Liberace fashion review) Sage (can only way WTH) and Sorcerer (anyone up for some football ?) I mean all of these armor series are just horrid looking. There are some decent parts about them but come on. Smuggler Hats are pretty cool for the most part and Sorcerer , but the Sage head pieces are just pitiful. The chest pieces on all 3 classes are just dumb. I wear a Jedi Robe on my smuggler to make it look halfway decent but the Rakata pieces on these classes are lame, Please consider a Appearance Tab or redesigning armor.

Unseenone