The purpose of companions?

KiaThas

(if you want to skip a wall of text jump to the bottom paragraph, everything else is reasoning)

Companions are in my opinion un-nessecary? They do jobs for you in aspect of skills... Great for people who cant be bothered with skills, but people didn't really miss skills in other games if they couldn't be bothered doing them.

Now we cant even go out and collect artifact etc, there might be a few pieces laying about, but its generally circled around your companion doing it.

Secondly in Pve why change the normal system of combat, The reason i never played hunter as wow (sorry for bringing wow in) is because i never really like computer assisted damage, companions are stupid especially since they're ridden with bugs, combat stealth skills dont work they rarely use skills, still attacking whilst I use a temporary CC so i'm dependant on a bugged system. And when your getting to levels 40+ you need your companions to actually work, since elites require skill, why cant we just have standard combat system where everything isn't overpowered and so were not compensated by a companion which is broken.

And finally i have to equip my companion, which is either costly or i have to choose from a selection of rewards from a quest neglecting me from a commendation or something like that meaning im actually becoming undergeared.

I dont mind the idea of companions, but I would really really prefer to have single style combat. Im dying so much because they're bugged and im highly dependant on them.

I'm not under-leveled or anything, my gear isn't so bad because I still choose commendations over companion gear meaning my companion is undergeared.

Nothing will come of this post, but I just want to question why companions are in the game, they take the fun out and cause deaths due to the fact were so dependant on them and they're bugged.

Companions add additional depth to character develpment, as well as an alternative means of crafting. As a non-crafter you have steady cash flow just by having your companions run out and grab materials for you. Almost like non-crafters planting harvestors in SWG and selling the returns on the AH after a few days.

I'm sorry you don't like your companion to battle at your side. Keep in mind that they aren't even used in heroic and group encounters, so it's not like the companion is an absolute necessity to your game. That being said, companions have been pretty successful and well-loved in some prior games. Take D2 for example. Companions were limited there in comparison to TOR, yet still a crucial part of gameplay at higher levels. People would put some seriously coveted gear on their D2 companions to increase their overall power.

Edited by Marlaine

If you don't like companions in this game, imagine one where your entire party is formed by you and up to 7 companions.

Guild Wars. Oddly enough, it kind of works there.

I personally like having a computer controlled meat shield, while I snipe and heal from range.

Now we cant even go out and collect artifact etc, there might be a few pieces laying about, but its generally circled around your companion doing it.

Actually I have notice TONS of artifact nodes out in the world. I have gathered most of my crystals from those and not just sending my companion out on missions for them.

Actually I have notice TONS of artifact nodes out in the world. I have gathered most of my crystals from those and not just sending my companion out on missions for them.

QFT only time i send my companion to gather is if its a way loer level material or if its to get the crew skill vendor mats cheaper

Nothing will come of this post, but I just want to question why companions are in the game, they take the fun out and cause deaths due to the fact were so dependant on them and they're bugged.

Agreed. They can get annoying. Specially at later levels where (at least on my Shadow) its annoying to bring anyone else other than Tharan. All that talk about feeling heroic has gone right out the window FAST. I DO NOT feel heroic when I can barely survive a fight with anything above weak trash without the help of some stupid pet.

Oh, and theyre pets. The "character depth" argument is bull. They only ever talk during class quests, never during world quests. Oh whats that T7? I just flushed a team of scientist out into space to save a little time? Oh ... you have nothing to say to that, do you? Just a -1 in your superficial "i like you" meter? Awesome, so much depth! Even during class quests theyre mostly silent. Oh and dont even expect any affection shifts if you go back to a planet you were in before you were supposed to get the pet, they have absolutely no opinion.

As for crew skills I dont really care. Whether they do it and deliver it to me or I go to a crafting station and gather my own mats is irrelevant to me. Its all the same.

However making me play as a pet class lowers the fun. Really getting annoying at higher levels. Make them necessary during class quests if you want where they actually bring something else to the table other than pet mechanics. Outside of that, make the game soloable (minus heroics).

I called this failure during development and here it is, just as I thought.

90% of my crafting mats, are from me gathering while questing.

10% of my mats are from companions (usually to get blue or purple mats).

You're doing something wrong.

Companions add a lot to the story and make my characters more interesting. Being the most powerful BH in SW (as per the storyline), you would think I would have hired people to do the piddly work.

The solution to your problem is very easy. Just right click the portrait and click Dismiss Companion. Viola! You can now play without your companion!

Regards,

Creon

I keep dismissing mine, but then I zone into a new area or my ship or after a PvP match and the damn thing pops back up!!! grrrrrrr......