Stat cap and talent points

Zerathule

I've read somewhere there are some stat caps, notably on damage reduction and shield chance, with a logarithmic curve so that the more points you get the less actual % you get.

I think it's 50% for damage reduction and 40% for shield chance. Am i right ?

Also, does those numbers take into account your talent point modifiers ?

For exemple, we can gain 10% shield chance, so lets say the cap is 40% shield chance, we manage to get 32% without talents points, does that raise our chance to 42 or does the cap applies and you actualy "loose" those last 2 points ?

I'd ask the same for the actual curve : do we gain % according to our gear or does it take into account our talents and thus making us hit the soft cap earlier ?

Thanks for any answer :)

SWTOR formula list

Armor (damage reduction) caps at 75%.

Defense (dodge) caps at 30%.

Shield chance and shield absorb both cap at 50%.

Expertise caps at 20%.

Percentage bonuses such as those from talent trees or Ion Cell do not "count towards" the cap; only points gained via gear (or, more specifically, stat ratings) do.

(Disclaimer: I did not deduce these formulas, but I have plugged the ratings from my own gear into their formulas, and the percentages from the formulas agree with the percentages on my character sheet. So they should be accurate for now.)

Edited by SpamAassassin

Well I can say that with my 51% damage reduction, there is no cap at 50% :p

In this the cap would be the point in which you do not see as much in the way of returns for what the formula is applied to in the game. This does not man it will not count higher nor that you will never take damage. The MMO I played quite a bit had a softcap for defenses that was right around 45%. You could spend more money investing in items that would bounce you over that but it was with diminishing returns which means that the money you were dumping into your gear was best spent on other stats (damage, resistance, etc).

~FV~

In this the cap would be the point in which you do not see as much in the way of returns for what the formula is applied to in the game. This does not man it will not count higher nor that you will never take damage. The MMO I played quite a bit had a softcap for defenses that was right around 45%. You could spend more money investing in items that would bounce you over that but it was with diminishing returns which means that the money you were dumping into your gear was best spent on other stats (damage, resistance, etc).

~FV~

City of Heroes by chance?

I'm another newcomer from CoH myself; I must admit I'm enjoying this game so far although at only level 20 I'm still way back on the learning curve. Aggro mechanics and tanking are quite different here I'm discovering.

It's funny to see people comming from CoH ... my first impression when playing TOR was that it was clearly inspired by CoH :)

Back to the subject, thanks for the answer. The numbers are interesting, and it means that gear cap will be quite difficult to obtain it seems :)

By the way, the guide you linked says armour mitigation caps at 75% while i've seen a cap of 50% ... what's the good number ?

Also, anyone made the math to see how much defense, shield chance, absorb, armour we would need to reach the cap ?

Yes, that was indeed CoH. I loved that game until the recent changes. At least I can do F2P here and there when I want something different. Just need to find that "extra time" thing that I never seem to have at all.

Tanking is very different. I have been mostly soloing in order to adjust for the game mechanics and on one of the few times I ran with a group I had a couple of people willing to give me decent pointers and ended up doing okay. Still a long ways to go.

As for the math, no time at all right now. I have been hoping that as more people get into the mechanics that we might start seeing some solid number.s

~FV~