The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is vanguard a ranged class?

Cayse_Harker

There is a difference between playing how you want and completely ignoring the context of what the game is about.

If you play a flight simulator and enjoy doing nothing but crashing into trees on takeoff then more power too you. You are missing out on 90% of what the game is about.

If you want to play a Vanguard as a purely ranged class then more power too you. But you are still bad and have no business offering advice to other players who are asking legitimate questions.

I will not withdraw my statements about some people being baddies. No matter how offensive it is. It's true.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between playing how you want and completely ignoring the context of what the game is about.

If you play a flight simulator and enjoy doing nothing but crashing into trees on takeoff then more power too you. You are missing out on 90% of what the game is about.

If you want to play a Vanguard as a purely ranged class then more power too you. But you are still bad and have no business offering advice to other players who are asking legitimate questions.

I will not withdraw my statements about some people being baddies. No matter how offensive it is. It's true.

I never said I wanted to play it as a ranged class. That was the OP. I'm a tank, I'm up close and personal. I use my Stockstrike every cooldown. I plan on taking Gut to compliment by dps and give me an extra aggro tool. I watch my ammo count to make sure it doesn't go too low and kills the regen rate. I know when to AoE and when to not. I don't break CC. I'm just saying that if someone is able to play it as a ranged character and do well enough to get through the content, then it shouldn't be a huge deal. I don't think people should have to micromanage their character to beat a boss, but instead should rely more on skill than on gear and one single top-spec. Every Vanguard tank shouldn't have to be specced and geared exactly the same to succeed.

There are bad players out there, I agree. Then there are players who may not be as skilled, but are willing to learn. I was just pointing out your post about people sucking because you came off as a bit hypocritical by calling my arguments bad, when all you were doing was insulting people.

If you want to play a Vanguard as a purely ranged class then more power too you.

If you want to play a Vanguard as a purely melee class in PvP then more power to you. But, you are still bad...etc, etc.

seewutididthar?

Who has been saying to play Vanguard as "purely" ranged anyway. Did you just build a strawman to tear down? Guess I'll have to go back and read posts I missed.

edit: Nope, still not seeing someone who said to play Vanguard as ranged only.

Can you quote someone who did? I might be missing it.

Edited by Raggok

Are you effective enough at range in any situation? Yes.

These guys are talking rubbish. Vanguard is ranged, I play it every day, at range.

Hell, if you want you can use nothing but Hammer shot all day long, you're that hard as a vanguard. Just because some of your best abilities are close range doesnt mean that how you have to play. Develope your own style. They absoloutely do NOT have to rush to be effective. Different tactics for different sistuations.

It may take longer to kill mobs at range, but if your not obsessed with taking mobs down as fast as possible what does it matter.

As a shield spec vanguard I have no problem playing at range against any opponent. I dont see why anyone else would have a problem unless they are qq'ing over the speed they kill mobs.

Maybe its the same people who stress over finding the perfect ability rotation and get upset if they dont have the correct cookie cutter build and mods for their copy cat armour set up. Put some character into your character. Be a Leeroy Jenkins guy, not a '33.33, thats re-occuring of course' guy.

Im not doing it wrong because im not playing it like a stat obsessed geek.

I play the game in a way that I enjoy playing it. I've found what I am doing is effective in both pve and pvp and therefore I see absoloutely no reason to change it. If people cant make vanguard work effectively at long range then thats their problem not mine.

I'm not reading some of those quotes the same way you are and it is situational.

If you are playing the objectives in PvP, then yes.. you can be effective at range. In fact, you are MOST effective at range if you have incendiary round to DoT people up. Stay at range so you don't get focus-fired down, keep DoTs on people, use mortar volley, HiB, and hammer shot to keep people from capping. A well-played Vanguard can make taking the doors in Voidstar nearly impossible *if* they stay at range and don't rush into the killzone.

Now, if you are talking 1v1 fights. He is dead wrong. It would be quite silly to fight a sorceror, sniper, or mercenary at range.

Just a note.

I find arguments based on what's needed for a raid -- and especially arguments based on another game entirely -- lacking.

I did a lot of raiding in past MMOs and got throughly sick of it and the entire mentality that often comes with it. No raids for me. In fact, it was my experience that in many MMOs (don't know about WoW as I detest that game and didn't play it long) that only a small percentage of players raid on a regular basis.

I think the answer is that a Vanguard can do damage at range, but can do more damage within 10 m. Nobody's forcing you do fight up close but you'll do less damage if you don't.

Although if you're going to be grouping you owe it to your group mates to carry your weight, which might very well mean fighting close up more then you might prefer.

It would have been nice to know that before I picked Vanguard as I'd have preferred to fight at range. Bioware really should explain the choices more whenever you have to make irrevokable decisions.

Edited by Gerih

Wow, anger in this thread...anyway, to the OP:

I think it's safe to say if you are dps'ing an immovable object that doesn't fight back, melee range is where you will achieve the highest numbers (or at least melee for every stock strike CD).

Dead dps do zero dps...If you are forced out of melee for fear of impending player or NPC-related doom, you have many options to maintain some form of damage to your target(s).

If you don't care about how much dps you are doing (or spreading the misnomer of Vanguard as a 'tank class' that 'can't dps, lol'), you can preferentially shoot from 30m.

Edited by Themeatmarket

It would have been nice to know that before I picked Vanguard as I'd have preferred to fight at range. Bioware really should explain the choices more whenever you have to make irrevokable decisions.

I'm pretty sure the screen offering both classes says Vanguard is a close or medium range combatant while the Commando says long range.

Vanguard is very mobile and versatile class. You have good tools for close and ranged combat, but it's up to you to utilize the benefits. I personally love kiting and using the terrain/obstacles to my benefit a lot. Line of sight, use it to make the foe fight on your terms.

If you want to stand around and be a turret, pick up that leafblower and roll a commando.

...After playing Sniper to early 40's, Vanguard seems like a godmode.

Edited by Beansoup

So, in the end, you come up with these big arguments, but when somebody actually comes back at you with another reasonable argument where you can't just find one single sentence and say, "SEE? YOU'RE BAD LOL!" you just pretend it doesn't exist anymore?

Heh...

• 2 months later...
Which is why I said you play with the right tactics for the right situation and that the vanguard allows a variety of tactics to be used, not just close in fighting.

Maybe its because i've been forced to play in a certain way that i've learnt to use the vanguard at range effectively. I broke my arm over christmas and it hurts to go round button mashing, so i've bound Hammer shot and Explosive charge to my mouse and pretty much just use those two abilities on everything.

Clearly though there are some people on here who just cant get it through their heads that you dont have to be doing the maximum amount of damage every second of a fight. I blame wow for making stoopid troopers.

You need to be put down. This kind of stupidity is going to ruin this game.

You need to be put down. This kind of stupidity is going to ruin this game.

got to agree, vanguard is in no way a ranged class, they are a melee class, they just happen to have a FEW 30m abilities, but it doesn't make them a ranged class anymore then a shadow is a ranged class.

My main is an imperial agent operative and while there are plenty of times that I use cover and my ranged skills, I spend > 80% of my time up close hitting with my vibroknife.

I really want a different gameplay style with my trooper. Vanguard looks good to me, but I'm worried it might be mostly up close and personal. I'm currently level 11 and really enjoying using grenades, 30m shots and full auto. Is a vanguard a ranged dealer who can rush in in a pinch or do they HAVE to rush in to be effective?

Any vet info would be hugely appreciated!

wether you are ranged or melee as a vanguard is a matter of spec. if you spec mostly assault then you are pretty much 10m+ rdps with 1 melee ability (stockstrike) if you go tactics or shield then you are much more melee focused.

The vnaguard is a hybrid melee/ranged class that has the option to be played as either or both at the same time. If you are really looking for an RDPS class then i'd say go commando/gunslinger/sage as they are actually fully ranged classes.

These guys are talking rubbish. Vanguard is ranged, I play it every day, at range. Whats nice is you have the option to get in close as well, which is nice when you get charged by a melee because you dont have to try and get away from them.

Hell, if you want you can use nothing but Hammer shot all day long, you're that hard as a vanguard. Just because some of your best abilities are close range doesnt mean that how you have to play. Develope your own style. They absoloutely do NOT have to rush to be effective. Different tactics for different sistuations.

The only time I would say getting in close is the prefered option is with Elites, but even then, i've kited sith elites around with Hammer Shot and Explosive Charge, and took out two elites together this morning, one at close range and the other at long range by alternating attacks.

It may take longer to kill mobs at range, but if your not obsessed with taking mobs down as fast as possible what does it matter.

LMAO use hammer shot? Why not just hurl insults since the damage is about the same

Vanguard is a tank in pve though you can go dps. However I think (sans riot strike) commando is better. I pvp a lot and its 10m "kiting a slowed foe" spec in pvp at least for me.

LMAO use hammer shot? Why not just hurl insults since the damage is about the same

Vanguard is a tank in pve though you can go dps. However I think (sans riot strike) commando is better. I pvp a lot and its 10m "kiting a slowed foe" spec in pvp at least for me.

so also have the wrong idea. Vanguard is not a tank, its a class that can tank, just like Commando is a class that CAN heal.

Where did this ignorant attitude come from that just because a class can tank they are not good DPS?