Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you ever stopped to think about when they would perform maintenance on the login servers?

SW:TOR is one of a growing number of MMOs that (thankfully) allow all account holders to play on EU or US servers, changing at their whim. Many EU players have friends they would like to play with in the US, and vice-versa, and this functionality is also wonderful for joining communities together. You simply have to look at the WoW community to realise how divisive having completely separate account systems and forums can be.

However, this clearly comes at a price. The servers simply must be updated at the same time. Both sets of servers share a single client, and crucially, both sets of servers share the same account system. If US servers were up when EU servers were down, and vice versa, how could essential maintenance ever be performed on the login servers?

I do realise that all of this is general speculation on my part (not actually knowing the technical details of Bioware's server architecture), but the conclusion I have come to seems fairly reasonable to me, and I feel within such a small timeframe of the game's launch we should be able to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt with these issues.

So, with the obvious decision that maintenance must happen at the same time for both regions, we come to timing. The times they have chosen are absolutely fine. Believe it or not, during the day on the weekday is actually off-peak. There would be more players on during this time then during the early hours of the morning, that's for sure, but the numbers would still pale in comparison to the evening period. Simply because the maintenance times are inconvenient for you does not mean that is inconvenient for more players than it should or possibly could be. Bioware undoubtedly have numerous members of staff who monitor server population and number of online players very closely and assuredly have far more insight into what is considered off-peak and not than the vocal minority of those affected on the forums do.

Guess what? I was playing tonight when the servers went down too, so this is my "primetime" for playing. Did I cry because they did maintenance for a measly 2.5 hours? LMFAO... course not. That's childish.

1. Last maintenance took 10 hours. There's absolutely no guarantee, that it will continue to be as short as today. But you already know that, don't you?

2. I'm not interested in your primetime. I'm not interested in my primetime. I'm at work during the maintenance period. What I'm interested in is that during the normal maintenance hours EU servers are up to full (5-8 heavies, 2-5 very heavies, 1-2 full) and US servers are all either light or standard. That clearly shows the maintenance window was designed for you, the US customers, which pisses us, Europeans, off. Plain and simple.

Quit trolling. You just make yourself look dumber with each and every single post.

Regards,

Kalantris

I haven't read the whole thread as it's 45 pages long, but if i understand the standard answer to whoever is not affected by the problem is "get a job" or variations of "do something else".

Which is, imho, ********.

Let's say you go to a restaurant. It's a worldwide chain so there are some there, some in america. You sit down. You pick from the menu what you want. Then the waiter comes and says "I'm sorry but we're gonna close shop down for half of the day because it's cleaning time."

You get annoyed, and on top of that they tell you something like "but hey! don't worry, get a job or do something else! the shop will be open in no time (unless nancy the waitress slips and crashes a table, in that case you have to wait a couple of hours more until we get rid of the body)"

Are you fine with it? No.

Are you gonna avoid complaining? No way.

I want to eat my friggin' food the same way i want to play the game without having this troubles four times each month at best.

Have any of you ever stopped to think about when they would perform maintenance on the login servers?

SW:TOR is one of a growing number of MMOs that (thankfully) allow all account holders to play on EU or US servers, changing at their whim. Many EU players have friends they would like to play with in the US, and vice-versa, and this functionality is also wonderful for joining communities together. You simply have to look at the WoW community to realise how divisive having completely separate account systems and forums can be.

However, this clearly comes at a price. The servers simply must be updated at the same time. Both sets of servers share a single client, and crucially, both sets of servers share the same account system. If US servers were up when EU servers were down, and vice versa, how could essential maintenance ever be performed on the login servers?

I do realise that all of this is general speculation on my part (not actually knowing the technical details of Bioware's server architecture), but the conclusion I have come to seems fairly reasonable to me, and I feel within such a small timeframe of the game's launch we should be able to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt with these issues.

So, with the obvious decision that maintenance must happen at the same time for both regions, we come to timing. The times they have chosen are absolutely fine. Believe it or not, during the day on the weekday is actually off-peak. There would be more players on during this time then during the early hours of the morning, that's for sure, but the numbers would still pale in comparison to the evening period. Simply because the maintenance times are inconvenient for you does not mean that is inconvenient for more players than it should or possibly could be. Bioware undoubtedly have numerous members of staff who monitor server population and number of online players very closely and assuredly have far more insight into what is considered off-peak and not than the vocal minority of those affected on the forums do.

Other MMO developers manage it perfectly. Therefore your comments are irrelevant.

Well said. :D

Yeah, sure. Luckily you CAN do it, because you can start with the EU maintenance at 2AM GMT and continue with the US maintenance from 7AM GMT. One hour of combined maintenance, the rest divided.

They made it on LoL servers, which are way more loaded than SW:TOR servers and Riot was just a bunch of newbies creating a game they'd love to play.

No, the account system doesn't necessarily have to be shared. Your characters are stored on separate servers, there can be as many login servers as required and the patcher can choose one out of many, so that you can perform maintenance on the offline ones. There are literally COUNTLESS solutions.

It's not reasonable at all. Have you ever seen google under maintenance? Or microsoft.com? Can you imagine the load on ms update servers? I barely can. Yet they managed. EA is not some garage company selling laptops and RJ-45 cables. They're huge and they're expected to deliver. Especially since all the know-how is out there.

Regards,

Kalantris

Edited by Kalantris

I haven't read the whole thread as it's 45 pages long, but if i understand the standard answer to whoever is not affected by the problem is "get a job" or variations of "do something else".

Which is, imho, ********.

Let's say you go to a restaurant. It's a worldwide chain so there are some there, some in america. You sit down. You pick from the menu what you want. Then the waiter comes and says "I'm sorry but we're gonna close shop down for half of the day because it's cleaning time."

You get annoyed, and on top of that they tell you something like "but hey! don't worry, get a job or do something else! the shop will be open in no time (unless nancy the waitress slips and crashes a table, in that case you have to wait a couple of hours more until we get rid of the body)"

Are you fine with it? No.

Are you gonna avoid complaining? No way.

I want to eat my friggin' food the same way i want to play the game without having this troubles four times each month at best.

This analogy is absolute piffle. Restaurant services cannot in anyway be compared to the services provided by an MMO. Is there a centralised kitchen in the US where all the food gets served to you instantly from? Do all customers have to submit to a security check linked back to a central US database before they can even walk through the restaurant door?

This analogy is absolute piffle. Restaurant services cannot in anyway be compared to the services provided by an MMO. Is there a centralised kitchen in the US where all the food gets served to you instantly from? Do all customers have to submit to a security check linked back to a central US database before they can even walk through the restaurant door?

Quite the opposite. The analogy is perfect. You can't eat at our restaurant between 10 and 17 on tuesdays, because it's cleaning time and since we're a company from the USA we perform cleaning in all our restaurants all around the world at the same time, as that is our policy. That's what Bioware does.

Joined server maintenance is exactly as stupid as cleaning restaurants all around the world at the same time. There's no real need to perform maintenance on all servers at once.

Regards,

Kalantris

Edited by Kalantris

1. Last maintenance took 10 hours. There's absolutely no guarantee, that it will continue to be as short as today. But you already know that, don't you?

2. I'm not interested in your primetime. I'm not interested in my primetime. I'm at work during the maintenance period. What I'm interested in is that during the normal maintenance hours EU servers are up to full (5-8 heavies, 2-5 very heavies, 1-2 full) and US servers are all either light or standard. That clearly shows the maintenance window was designed for you, the US customers, which pisses us, Europeans, off. Plain and simple.

Quit trolling. You just make yourself look dumber with each and every single post.

Regards,

Kalantris

Again, it's necessary maintenance. Has to be done sometime. The fact that you don't like when they do it is irrelevant. Even if it was down for 10 hrs, who cares? It's like people have already forgotten what they did in the time before SWTOR launched...lol.

As you wish: bus service. A company that transports people worldwide decided that they're gonna adopt policies like that. Every ticket has a serial number that has to be autenticated on their main server. In the middle of the day, the bus stops at the side of the road for hours because of maintainance. No matter where you are, no one can board the bus and you have to get out if you were riding.

You contradict yourself in so many ways..why would the EU have more people playing in the AM than the US? are you saying that the EU is totaly opposite to the US in their work/social routines? monitoring server populations over an extended HOLIDAY period/EGA/release is going to give acurate numbers?

Again, it's necessary maintenance. Has to be done sometime. The fact that you don't like when they do it is irrelevant. Even if it was down for 10 hrs, who cares? It's like people have already forgotten what they did in the time before SWTOR launched...lol.

Yes, it has to be done sometime. We all know that and agree to that, but it should be performed during off-peak times. At the moment it's allright for the US customers only, as, just as I mentioned, EU servers are quite busy during maintenance hours. That's why we, the European customers, demand that the maintenance period is moved to the same timeframe it's performed for the US customers now. Simple?

Regards,

Kalantris

it's VERY relivant when they do it.

Yes, it has to be done sometime. We all know that and agree to that, but it should be performed during off-peak times. At the moment it's allright for the US customers only, as, just as I mentioned, EU servers are quite busy during maintenance hours. That's why we, the European customers, demand that the maintenance period is moved to the same timeframe it's performed for the US customers now. Simple?

Regards,

Kalantris

No matter what time they do maintenance it's going to piss some people off. So they go with the majority, which is in fact the US customer base. That's just life and there's no point in complaining about it.

No matter what time they do maintenance it's going to piss some people off. So they go with the majority, which is in fact the US customer base. That's just life and there's no point in complaining about it.

Yet if the roles were reversed you would right? And if not you, your fellow countrymen would.

***!!!! If your USA friends are sleeping YOU CANT play with them , and now people in usa are sleeping while here is 13:29 PM.

I would not mind if they do manteinance in USA one day before Europe , during their sleeping time , and the next day here in Europe during OUR sleeping time , instead of forcing us to play anything else or doing wathever during the time we are PAYING to play (we want to do it or not).

Some guys just dont get it...maintenances are necessary and all agree about it, but doin it when it is full day or early night and almost all people who bought the game in Europe wants to play? Dude!

Yet if the roles were reversed you would right? And if not you, your fellow countrymen would.

Actually, as I've already said the current maintenance schedule is terrible for me personally. So when it's down I just do something else like check out useless complaint threads.

And yes, if the Americans were whining about server downtimes I'd be telling them the exact same thing. It's just a game and you can take a break for a few hours. Life will go on. ;)

As far as i am concerned USA people PAY THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY AS WE DO to play for X hours a month. WE (europeans) PLAY 8 hours less than them a month. And that is showed in server status during both manteinance time schedules. Edited by kamhul

I think people can spare 10 hours out of the 168 that they're given in a week to do something other than play a video game.

I think people should be allowed to decide what you want to do with their time with the same possibilities the ones unaffected by this are.

As far as i am concerned USA people PAY THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY AS WE DO to play for X hours a month. WE PLAY X -8 hours a month. Ans that is showed in server status during both manteinance time schedules.

Maybe you should get discount cause you live in Europe? Would that help?... lol. :D