Why are there no arenas?

Curryboi

Hence why they balanced around Arena throughout Wotlk.... oh snap

This isn't wotlk and no, they don't balance arena any more, at least with the participation numbers that arena is putting up. The MMR exploit went unfix for one whole season, then Blizzard removing it, but left ratings earn with the mmr exploit. Not one team got banned due to the mmr exploit in the previous season. Heck if I had enough gold I could just bought glad when I played.

What else do you need Blizzard to do, completely remove arenas to give a hint that arenas are on the back burner in the development cycle? You can keep telling your self that arena still matter in wow, but they don't any more. Perhaps you can subscribe to more of Ghostcrawler's lip service? Oh snap, your making Blizzard money while they laugh at you on their way to the bank. They probably put in the minimum amount of resources into arena and your still paying them 15 dollars a month like those pve scrubs. Heck if an equivalent bug like the mmr exploit existed in pve, it be hotfix, but for pvp your out luck.

Edited by Knockerz

You do realize that woundman, hydra, and reckful have quit wow? I imagine that swifty will follow suit with how participation is shaping out to be in arena and in pvp as whole in wow. I wouldn't call them famous even by wow own population. I never heard of any of those names, except switfty cause I played a warrior, until they made a post about quitting.

It's not easy if you don't like arenas, cause developing and maintaining arenas cost money and takes away from developing pve content, which is where the majority of BW profits will come from.

How about this. BW develops arena, but charges for it as an expansion. Thus, players who want it can buy the expansion and those that don't won't. BW can also charge an extra amount to players who want a competitive pvp environment. Perhaps even have separate pvp and pve mechanics.

So by your reasonig how about everytme they have new flashpoint added or new planet added they charge people for that to.. That way people who want to explore that new content can and people who dont wont have to pay...

Like it or not Pvp is in the game and new Bg's and rated pvp is coming.. Get over it and deal with it. If you dont want to pvp dont, but do not try and punish people who do...

This isn't wotlk and no, they don't balance arena any more, at least with the participation numbers that arena is putting up. The MMR exploit went unfix for one whole season, then Blizzard removing it, but left ratings earn with the mmr exploit. Not one team got banned due to the mmr exploit in the previous season. Heck if I had enough gold I could just bought glad when I played.

Oh snap, your making Blizzard money while they laugh at you on their way to the bank. They probably put in the minimum amount of resources into arena and your still paying them 15 dollars a month like those pve scrubs. Heck if an equivalent bug like the mmr exploit existed in pve, it be hotfix, but for pvp your out luck.

Exploiters were banned who had 3011 ratings in S9 during early Cata. They rolled out few fixes, teams were rolled back and then ratings reset to 1500.

Your second paragraph is just pointless bickering.

and why should we care? who are they? what did they achieve?

**** dude, we just wanted to show that he didnt know what he was talking about. U dont need to care at all, but for ppl following this discussion it could be good to know the knolage of the ppl writing...

And those 3 arena players are some of the best pvpers in wow history

You do realize that woundman, hydra, and reckful have quit wow? I imagine that swifty will follow suit with how participation is shaping out to be in arena and in pvp as whole in wow. I wouldn't call them famous even by wow own population. I never heard of any of those names, except switfty cause I played a warrior, until they made a post about quitting.

Everyone leaves eventually. They have been playing for what, 6 years? If TOR survives strong just as WoW did for 7 years, id be very impressed. Games get old when you play them for such a long time, people need change. Does not mean the game is dying and everyone should leave.

Define famous. In WoW terms Hydra, Swifty and Reckful are pretty well known, even Woundman although he has not been in the spotlight of "fame" as the others.

It's not easy if you don't like arenas, cause developing and maintaining arenas cost money and takes away from developing pve content, which is where the majority of BW profits will come from.

I don't know about that, I seen many PvPers so far. If suddenly all PvPers left and I mean ALL, TOR would be shattered and profits would be low. But who knows, maybe the profits would increase but I doubt that.

How about this. BW develops arena, but charges for it as an expansion. Thus, players who want it can buy the expansion and those that don't won't. BW can also charge an extra amount to players who want a competitive pvp environment. Perhaps even have separate pvp and pve mechanics.

Hmm? If they do that, trust me, there would be PvE content as well. Pure PvP expansion wouldn't do well, for a content patch sure but content patches aren't ment to be charged for, lots of players would be pissed.

Arena ruins games by overemphasizing very very small group PvP and basing balance off of that

And then classes get homogenized because QQ one class has this and QQ one class doesn't have another

This. They should have never introduced arenas to WoW, they should never do it here either unless they have no awards and aren't used to balance classes.

First off Knockers is completely clueless and inaccurate about ALMOST everything they said. Competitive PvP needs to be in this game if you want to get that crowd and that is a pretty large crowd, myself included. Now I have to defend WoW arena because people harp on it left and right. But people who harp on it 9 times out of 10 were horrible PvPers so their excuse was never themselves it was "WoW Arena."

WoW arena was relatively balanced and for what they had to work with, it did the best job of any MMO around balancing it. Was it perfect...no, it never will be, but do all the baddies rated at 1500 complaining that hunter hunter beat their warrior paladin because of "class imbalance" or "gear imbalance" have any clue what they are talking about. ABSOLUTELY NOT, I pretty much guarantee the arena haters like Knockers ARE these baddies.

Gear was balanced very well, if you were complaining about gear its because you did not do your homework on how to play your class, comps were balanced relatively well until specific brackets. If you want to play HIGH level you have to work to get there. Every person with half an ego will IMMEDIATELY dismiss their loss due to "gear" or "class imbalance" when the finger needs to be pointed RIGHT back at them. Unless you were playing at 2400+ I would completely tell you its YOUR fault. YES it takes SKILL YES it takes PRACTICE YES it takes actually educating yourself around the game and strategies. So dont harp on how horrible arena and competitive PvP is when you never really truly put the time in to improve yourself to play at those levels.

I worked my way up from being a 1500 to 1600 player into the 2400s it does not come easy you actually have to develop your abilities to do it and so do the people you play with that is exactly the appeal of competitive PvP. Im sure many bosses in PvE get pulled a few times before they are downed, because you have to practice and learn the fight to succeed. Feels pretty good to know you achieved something when the boss goes down and you get the loot. Same way for reaching a bracket or getting specific gear in PvP.

So dont complain about it to the point where you want to deny a complete player base of it because of your own impatience or inability to practice is ridiculous. Also dont say its not skill based because I guarantee you the guys at the top end of arena could play the worst composition out there and still find a way to own 99.99% of the player base in arena, and quite frankly that is skill.

**** dude, we just wanted to show that he didnt know what he was talking about. U dont need to care at all, but for ppl following this discussion it could be good to know the knolage of the ppl writing...

And those 3 arena players are some of the best pvpers in wow history

None of them have won an MLG when wow was still in the rankings. but yea they are the best

/rolleyes

Arena ruins games by overemphasizing very very small group PvP and basing balance off of that

And then classes get homogenized because QQ one class has this and QQ one class doesn't have another

This exactly. Even though I was a HUGE arena player meaning I pretty much only played arenas in WoW, and BGs only sometimes, I say no to arenas in this game. It clearly ****s up balance even more. I wish they would just focus a lot more on group PvP and keep building on that to make it as great as can be.

Also, search for the blue post where the Devs. talked about arenas. They wish they never implemented them that early so they could have been different and much better than they are, so now they stuck with what they have. Arenas WILL ruin the PvP in this game, or atleast w/e PvP there is in this game. I fear Bioware, a single player game company, wont really focus on PvP too much, or just wont know how/what to do with some things.

Also for those claiming to be awesome arena players - If you relly lurked the AJ forums you would know how large, or small for that matter, the arena population is. ESPECIALLY the population thats 2k plus and if you really wanna go there, 2400+. The arena population is soooooooooooooo small, its honestly negligible.

If anything, add one arena, something like nagrand, and just give a queue system to queue solo or with friends. Require either 2 or 4 people to queue. add brackets of 2 or 4 then never balance for it or even do anything with it. Less of course youre fixing bugs or adding tornadoes or something to the arena.

Edited by Serrationqt

here comes the pvp crowd to ruin yet another game

you ******* need to stick to FPS games where skill actually matters

The very fact that you just inferred that skill doesn't matter in PvP is laughable. I'm someone with a long history in competitive first person shooters... and I fully recognize the skill necessary to win there. But you're talking about twitch reflexes combined with very basic tactical decision making and strategy... versus being required to have a full understanding of hundreds of abilities, both yours and your enemies, and what those effects are and how you should handle each one... knowing how to counter different classes, etc.

PvP in an MMO does require a good deal of skill. Just because you're a PvE player doesn't mean the game shouldn't cater to PvPers as well. I play both, and enjoy both... but what makes you think your preference is any more important than the other guy's?

By the way, I'm not in support of the OPs complaints. I'm just pointing out the fact that PvP is a part of this game, and it does require skill, and it's not your place to complain about the developers even possibly catering to the needs of those players who actually choose to focus on PvP. They wouldn't put PvP warzones in the game if it wasn't a consideration....

I dont understand the point of not having the option to play arenas with rating etc. like in wow. For us pvpers, we have nothing to do after hitting lvl 50 and have the gear... Can someone say to me why arenas arent in this game, it has the potential to be such a good pvp game. Ofc it is unbalanced and it will always be, like wow, but i think that is the charm of a game tho, nothing is or will be perfect. And if arenas will help the developers see the flaws of game and then fix it, it's obviously only good.

Cause even Blizzard have admitted that it was a fault to bring arenas to WoW.