WoW vs. TOR: Comparing game launches

Maloreon

im going to be the sane voice here...

A. Odds are you didnt play vanilla wow, period. Almost no one did and they want to act like they are cool so they said they did.

B. Wows launch was very smoothy, nothing yo u can fault except for SOME ques depending on what server you wanted to jump on.

C. This is not a smooth launch, comparing it, especially to a game that came out IN 2004, A POINT IN TIME WERE PEOPLE WERE STILL WEARING CLOTHES FROM THE 90s.

Now ****.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH. Nice troll/lie. None of what I have stated about WoW is debatable it is a fact. Go read the rest of the thread or google some stuff dude. Bye.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played back then, and had a beta account. I don't remember any of that...

I remember a little complaining here and there. But nothing of this magnitude

you must have been asleep

i was on Doomhammer, it was an origional server, we kept calling it DownHammer, it didnt really stop until Burning Crusade.

if you didnt see alot of complaining WoW wide, you were in a small box with no windows. there were some good servers, but not many

Well said...

I really cant understand those ppl..they are never happy with anything all they do is find little excuses or minus negative details of swtor to start bashin it,and all that because the ywont play for a day or two

As for the queue IT WAS expected and ppl should realise that like any other mmo's launch

And the best part is they will ceaselessly whine until they get access and then stop. And probably a lot of them will start immediately whining about every little pixel they don't like in game as soon as they are in. This launch is very good so far - sad that delusional and/or entitled people clog up the forums like this. I guess it can be expected though.

"Uh there wasn't that much of complaints when WoW was released nor' in beta."

Hahahahah are you serious? Dude the forums and in game were non-stop whining about the constant lag-fests, server crashes, downtime, and bugs. I actually played back then, I'd know. And yes, that stuff continued for MONTHS afterward. You didn't play back then if you don't remember that - it was endless whining. One of the worst launches in history.

I was there too. This launch, effectively, is just as bad. You still have people locked out of the game for days while a small lucky few gets a huge advantage over everyone else.

In ways, this launch is worse. Especially considering its 2011.

I was there too. This launch, effectively, is just as bad. You still have people locked out of the game for days while a small lucky few gets a huge advantage over everyone else.

Yep, entitlement. They are not even at the phase where people are being given what they were "promised" (up to 5 days) - we're on day 7. This launch has no reported lag, few crashes, and has been very stable. They are staggering things like this to avoid the stupidity of other MMO launches, such as WoW. What huge advantage do people get? WoW someone who supported the game longer than you and ordered ahead of time gets to be ahead by a few hours or days of played time. They hit 50 before you do? So what. You'll be caught up within a few weeks regardless. Such massive amounts of entitlement.

A huge advantage...that won't matter in a month when everyone is 50 and going, remember all that launch bs that has absolutely no merit now?

No, the WoW launch was worse. It's far more frustrating to be able to log in play for 20minutes then have it crash for 4 hours then simply be told you aren't in yet. I suppose that is a matter of opinion, but for me anyway I prefer a launch like this than over WoWs any day.

The only difference between 2004 and 2011, people simply feel more entitled when they simply aren't.

Honestly, dead horse is dead and it's not as if I am ever going to be able to convince a bunch of self entitled web monsters any different.

Hardly any of this will matter in two months, and in six it'll be completely forgotten.

Hell, this is baby land frolics compared to the crap storm that the grace period is going to cause in a week.

im going to be the sane voice here...

A. Odds are you didnt play vanilla wow, period. Almost no one did and they want to act like they are cool so they said they did.

B. Wows launch was very smoothy, nothing yo u can fault except for SOME ques depending on what server you wanted to jump on.

C. This is not a smooth launch, comparing it, especially to a game that came out IN 2004, A POINT IN TIME WERE PEOPLE WERE STILL WEARING CLOTHES FROM THE 90s.

Now ****.

You must of smoked a lot of stuff between now and then. None of what you have said is accurate...but ok. I was there on day 1. Servers were down regularly and there were 1-2 hour Qs all the time. Was it perhaps because it was more popular than anticipated? Sure. But did the boats still not work? Yes. Did you still lag hard? Yes. Could you still barely move in any major city? Yes. But guess what.....ZERO of that matters. This is a new game. A new design. A new model. And from my experience so far with Beta and how things are going considering we are still not at Launch Date, i am very pleased. Not once did a server I was on in a Beta stress test weekend (intended to push server limits) crash or get unplayable. Either way.....

What people are still failing to realize and accept is that this is free game time. This is not the release date.

So the company is prepared and is doing things correctly to stagger starts and have a smooth go and people just complain because their spoiled, entitled self didnt get in the first minute. Get over yourself.

They didnt have to offer anything except the game on 12/20....this is all just icing on the cake and to help stagger the initial server load.

Uh there wasn't that much of complaints when WoW was released nor' in beta.

Funny. I was in vanilla beta and launch. The WoW launch was a royal disaster. I wound up with almost 2 months of playtime credits due to failing servers and lack of ability to get through to customer support. I eventually just left it for 3 months and came back when it was a bit better. Took them some serious time to get it ironed out.

A huge advantage...that won't matter in a month when everyone is 50 and going, remember all that launch bs that has absolutely no merit now?

No, the WoW launch was worse. It's far more frustrating to be able to log in play for 20minutes then have it crash for 4 hours then simply be told you aren't in yet. I suppose that is a matter of opinion, but for me anyway I prefer a launch like this than over WoWs any day.

The only difference between 2004 and 2011, people simply feel more entitled when they simply aren't.

Honestly, dead horse is dead and it's not as if I am ever going to be able to convince a bunch of self entitled web monsters any different.

Hardly any of this will matter in two months, and in six it'll be completely forgotten.

Hell, this is baby land frolics compared to the crap storm that the grace period is going to cause in a week.

+1

agreed....and this is better on principle just because you are not paying out of pocket yet for this pre-launch time...unlike the other release.

i remember wow's opening day and spending hours on the forums like i am now reading the same things over and over hell goto wows forums now to CS and you'll still see it specially after they announced there new panda expansion lol

Are people really trying to say the wow launch wasn't bad? Wow, talk about being in denial. Even the Blizz devs have said the launch of wow was bad, that they were very much unprepared for the number of people that played. Honestly, if the worst people can say about bioware is that they are doing what they said they would do, then that already makes them better then blizz, who flat out lies to its playerbase.

heres the point, who the **** cares about wow launch.

I spent money on this game and I want it to be good. Jesus christ, apples and oranges are a terrible fruit salad.

Then why did you compare them in 3 different examples? ;)

Seriously, not trolling.

This game will be good. And this launch strategy really is logical and a good one. If after launch there are still huge issues, I will take it back.

These forums are awful. I pre-ordered and used my code in August...I don't have access. They specifically stated we would have "up to 5 days early" access. They never stated we would get any more than that. This isn't even the real "launch". Calm down and play something else instead of crying on message boards...you people are awful. Here is an article about the WoW launch problems...don't forget almost every MMO in existence has had massive problems but the launch of this game is insanely huge. BTW I've been in the beta for months and this was by far the best beta I have ever been in and had the most responsive support I've ever seen. They fixed issues I ran into quickly and smoothly...redownloading the game every build was rough with the massive size but that is my only gripe.

Gamespot Article:

"Chances are if you were a PC gamer who was lucky enough to have both a copy of World of Warcraft and Monday off for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, you probably planned on spending a good chunk of the weekend playing the massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Unfortunately, chances are you encountered some serious problems while doing so.

According to some reports, as many as 20 of the 88 servers running World of Warcraft were down over the weekend. These outages followed a scheduled systemwide, daylong outage on Thursday, during which time developer-publisher Blizzard was supposedly upgrading its server system. However, the changes simply caused even more widespread problems. "The servers were outright broken the evenings of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday," grumbled one upset player to GameSpot editors. As a result of the downed servers, many gamers were kicked off the servers or forced to endure waits of more than one hour...if they could log on at all. Finally, on Sunday, all the servers were again brought down for "emergency service."

Yesterday, Blizzard apologized at length on the official World of Warcraft forums before implementing a stopgap fix. "As a temporary solution, we have placed lower population restrictions on the affected realms; this results in queues when the population reaches a certain number. This is a short-term solution and, while undesirable, is in place to keep the realms more stable while we work on the main cause of the issues." While they increased server stability, the population caps caused long waits, further angering already furious gamers.

Today, Blizzard announced on the front page of the official World of Warcraft Web site that "due to the extended nature of the server issues, we will be providing a free 48-hour extension of play time." However, this offer did little to assuage the wrath of angry players.

Besides the bilious comments that littered the game's forums, the backlash extended into the gaming press as well. An editor for Penny Arcade announced that he was rescinding the 2004 Game of the Year award the popular game site bestowed on World of Warcraft. This occurred despite a previously close relationship between Penny Arcade and Blizzard, which saw several of the site's signature comic strips appear in the game guide.

As of Tuesday afternoon, players trying to log on to World of Warcraft were still experiencing significant delays. GameSpot editors who attempted to log on at 4:30pm PST were informed that more than 500 players were waiting in line ahead of them."

Edited by evolart

These forums are awful. I pre-ordered and used my code in August...I don't have access. They specifically stated we would have "up to 5 days early" access. They never stated we would get any more than that. This isn't even the real "launch". Calm down and play something else instead of crying on message boards...you people are awful. Here is an article about the WoW launch problems...don't forget almost every MMO in existence has had massive problems but the launch of this game is insanely huge. BTW I've been in the beta for months and this was by far the best beta I have ever been in and had the most responsive support I've ever seen. They fixed issues I ran into quickly and smoothly...redownloading the game every build was rough with the massive size but that is my only gripe.

excellent reply and I could not agree more. says something for society and it is a little unsettling....