New level 50 wondering *** is going on with the crafting

Vaestmannaeyjar

Hello, and happy new year.

I dinged 50 this afternoon and am just back from the NYE party, wanted to comment on some stuff that's been in y head thus far.

I'm a Sith Assassin, deception specced. I took biochem as a trade because I hate resource grinding and farming and oooh permanent stims/pots etc. Ok.

So I'm going to Ilum to see what's going on there. I check the vendors. So, to sum it up, I can get in a few quests:

-epic lighstaber handle (8 tokens)

-epic armor mods (8 tokens for eahc orange piece I wear)

Gun using classes can purchase barrels likewise there for 8 tokens.

I purchased the lvl 40 PvP set during my leveling (and also purchased it for half my companions) so I am done gettng my oranges provided I don't want a special look.

Tell my now what is left to buy from armorers and guncrafters ? Artifact still gets to sell me one crystal, woot.

I am wondering the same although I am currently only level 44. It seems outside of really unreliable crafting crits there isn't a whole lot of benefit.

Will be interesting to see if people end up crafting literally 1000s of an item in an attempt to crit or if Bioware will put some sort of hard cap on the amount of attempts required.

People won't buy it. Remember in DAoC when you needed a 100% armor to overcharge all your enchanting without exploding ? The cost was prohibitive and most people went to the comparatively way cheaper 99% armor which was 95% as good, so to say, because overcharging was limited with those.

If the cost of a "perfect"craft is equal to 150 "normal" items, nobondy will buy them, especially because the difference is marginal overall. If you have a full perfect set, things might be noticeable, but by the time you get one we'll be three expansions into the game and you 'll have thrown your half perfect set away for a long time.

People won't buy it. Remember in DAoC when you needed a 100% armor to overcharge all your enchanting without exploding ? The cost was prohibitive and most people went to the comparatively way cheaper 99% armor which was 95% as good, so to say, because overcharging was limited with those.

If the cost of a "perfect"craft is equal to 150 "normal" items, nobondy will buy them, especially because the difference is marginal overall. If you have a full perfect set, things might be noticeable, but by the time you get one we'll be three expansions into the game and you 'll have thrown your half perfect set away for a long time.

Yeah this is a pretty fair way of looking at things. Problem is the flipside is situations where one crafting skill is massively superior for some or all of the advanced classes(without causing too much furor this may already be the case)

How about give crafting a purpose besides a tedious money sink

Right now you can buy everything you need and make all crafting gear obsolete... WHY?!

By making them have some sort of perk they tend to by definition become overpowered for certain classes. I don't think anyone enjoys being forced into a crew skill when raiding, it isn't much better than having a semi useless crew skill at end game.

If you want to make craft matter, you must follow these principle guidelines:

-No competition from mobs or sellers.

Crafting worked in SWG because on day one we had a shovel and that was it, and everythign was built from there. (Yes, the first radiactive stuff was digged by hand, just imagine how my health bars went black in 5 minutes)

-Strict impossibility to be self sufficient. SWG achieved it in the only way possible: "Hey, no rerolls, 1 char per server only".

-Item degradation with use. Self explaining. buying a "forever working" item breaks the system. IRL too, your items have a designed life duration. A TV isn't designed to last more than 5 years nowadays.

Keeping in mind crafting, selling and market control is in essence a PvP occupation, even if its not military in nature.