The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Let's be real, let's be honest here....

Ogitrev

...and some people think that means any other MMO MUST do exactly what WoW has done/is doing/will do. If that's the case, that MMO would be a clone of WoW, so why would I play it instead of WoW?

If Star Wars The Old Republic was a clone of World of Warcraft but with the star wars universe, it would be the greatest game to ever have existed.

But its not. It's terribly outdated and lacking in basic features that any other MMO has.

btw, saying that "Blizzard set the BAR with World of Warcraft", means that other MMO's should at the very least, be at the same field as Warcraft.

Bioware thought the game was 6 years ago and in another country.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is arguing that the game doesn't need to be patched, or have features added.

Really? Really? REALLY?!?! I have seen a bunch of "It doesn't happen to me it must be you" replies in threads saying the same thing as the OP! Now either they are flat out lying or they don't know what we are talking about oooooooooooor they are just in denial one of the 3. Not to mention the people who say "Give them time" on BASIC FEATURES that are standard with MMOs of today.

Edited by Gunryu

I think Rift was better than SWTOR. SWTOR reminds me very much of my experience with Warhammer Online.

I am not picking on you, but just quoting since it is the last post I read. I am not suggesting which game is better or worse. All I was trying to say, that if you compared some of the "BASIC" features of Rift vs. SWTOR, even comparing launch day to lauch day, it is clear that RIFT laucned more feature riched that SWTOR did.

This is not to suggest that Rift is better, less bugs, less lag, less of anything other than basic PC gaming features/MMO features that almost all computer/mmo's have at lauch and those that launched recently.

Finally someone mentions Rift. It also launched in 2011, was the company's first game, and was roughly in the same development cycle as this game. Yet, it launched with all the basic features of the 2011 MMO standard.

People keep comparing this to 2004 WoW and I haven't a clue why.

Really? Really? REALLY?!?! I have seen a bunch of "It doesn't happen to me it must be you" replies in threads saying the same thing as the OP! Now either they are flat out lying or they don't know what we are talking about oooooooooooor they are just in denial one of the 3. Not to mention the people who say "Give them time" on BASIC FEATURES that are standard with MMOs of today.

lol.

Yeah, it is not about patching or adding more features. Every game needs patches and more features. But basic stuff, that is something that should have been in there since day 1. Funny thing is, the damn option was in the menu's in beta for AA!! Then launch day comes and it is gone?

I agree with you. Give them time on some stuff, but basic stuff, that should have been there day 1.

I think someone needs to relax. It's an MMO, and MMO's gets patched, features are added. Anyone who wouldn't want their MMO to be patched is probably a moron.

And yes, for some of these "basic features", you have to give them time, because they have already talked about adding them soon.

Edited by Jaku

Finally someone mentions Rift. It also launched in 2011, was the company's first game, and was roughly in the same development cycle as this game. Yet, it launched with all the basic features of the 2011 MMO standard.

I mentioned Rift and was told to go play that because "By God this is the best launch eeeever! You are just a Rift/WoW Fanboi who doesn't have a clue what a good game launch is even if you have been playing MMOs since Ultima Online RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!"

And yes, for some of these "basic features", you have to give them time, because they have already talked about adding them soon.[/Quote]

Yeah let's talk about Game Developers and "Soon" lol

Edited by Gunryu

There are a few of us in this thread that actually understand what I am refering too. I think too many people responding to quickly to defend the game is what is causing some of the uproar when someone brings up issues.

Like you easily posted, Trion was able to release Rift with basic features that ANY PC game has in addition to what should be expected in a 2011 MMO as far as features. AGAIN, this is NOT saying RIFT is a better game or anything like that. Just stating the FACT that in comparison to other PC games and other "recently" MMO's....BASIC features are missing in SWTOR that should have been in day 1.

I understand, but honestly, whining about it on the forums will not make these "basic features" magically appear on the game.

People need to either be patient and play the game as is, or come back later. It's not rocket science. We are beating the horse so dead right now you can see it's bone marrow.

There are a few of us in this thread that actually understand what I am refering too. I think too many people responding to quickly to defend the game is what is causing some of the uproar when someone brings up issues.

Like you easily posted, Trion was able to release Rift with basic features that ANY PC game has in addition to what should be expected in a 2011 MMO as far as features. AGAIN, this is NOT saying RIFT is a better game or anything like that. Just stating the FACT that in comparison to other PC games and other "recently" MMO's....BASIC features are missing in SWTOR that should have been in day 1.

I have stated I am giving this game 2 months after the free month, if I don't see improvements then I will bail out and see where it goes 6 months to a year down the road if it still exists (don't take that as me saying the game will fail or not, I am not a psychic.)

I understand, but honestly, whining about it on the forums will not make these "basic features" magically appear on the game.

People need to either be patient and play the game as is, or come back later. It's not rocket science. We are beating the horse so dead right now you can see it's bone marrow.[/Quote]

If people don't voice their opinions (not whining) on forums etc then the game developers won't know what we want/expect and you get what AoC and others got...........dead.

Edited by Gunryu

I mentioned Rift and was told to go play that because "By God this is the best launch eeeever! You are just a Rift/WoW Fanboi who doesn't have a clue what a good game launch is even if you have been playing MMOs since Ultima Online RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!"

Yeah, if they had played Rift they would've known it actually had a better launch than this (which is already really, really smooth).

Also, rift has basically failed anyway. Another fantasy game cannot survive against the titan that is WoW without having something amazingly unique (moreso than the whole "rifts" thing), something like TERA will provide (actual real-time combat).

This game does have a chance simply due to the attached IP. People need to understand that, and that is why the knowledgeable few are trying to get their voice heard so that the gamebreaking issues can be fixed asap.

If people don't voice their opinions (not whining) on forums etc then the game developers won't know what we want/expect and you get what AoC and others got...........dead.

That would be true, expect we've been complaining about the same things over and over and over again. I'm pretty sure Bioware is aware of them now.

If you have a new bug/new problem, then go ahead, you're helping the game by pointing it out.

People need to either be patient and play the game as is, or come back later. It's not rocket science. We are beating the horse so dead right now you can see it's bone marrow.

What I don't understand is why every time someone posts about what they don't like in the game, it's called whining. I agree with the OP on virtually everything he said and I LOVE this game. I've already bought my 60 day sub and have gotten the game for several friends so we could play.

But does that mean the game is perfect? No, not by any means. It's really embarrassing on Bioware's part that they didn't have standard features in the game when every beta weekend I was in, countless threads asked for them. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not whining. I'm posting my opinion on this topic, much like several other people have, with the intent of letting Bioware know that these are important features to us, and it would be in their best interest to add them as soon as possible.

What I don't understand is why every time someone posts about what they don't like in the game, it's called whining. I agree with the OP on virtually everything he said and I LOVE this game. I've already bought my 60 day sub and have gotten the game for several friends so we could play.

But does that mean the game is perfect? No, not by any means. It's really embarrassing on Bioware's part that they didn't have standard features in the game when every beta weekend I was in, countless threads asked for them. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not whining. I'm posting my opinion on this topic, much like several other people have, with the intent of letting Bioware know that these are important features to us, and it would be in their best interest to add them as soon as possible.

I'm just using whining/complaining as general terms, it's not meant to be insulting.

I think someone needs to relax. It's an MMO, and MMO's gets patched, features are added. Anyone who wouldn't want their MMO to be patched is probably a moron.

And yes, for some of these "basic features", you have to give them time, because they have already talked about adding them soon.

I totally disagree with you on your last part.

Anti Aliasing

Draw Distance

Ground Texture Draw Distance

UI Scalling/Moving/Customizing

Ground Clutter Density

Shadow Quality - an option that actually makes it look decent

The above are considered basic settings for MMO's. Most are considred basic for ANY PC game released. These should have been in DAY 1, not "give them time".

I totally disagree with you on your last part.

Anti Aliasing

Draw Distance

Ground Texture Draw Distance

UI Scalling/Moving/Customizing

Ground Clutter Density

Shadow Quality - an option that actually makes it look decent

The above are considered basic settings for MMO's. Most are considred basic for ANY PC game released. These should have been in DAY 1, not "give them time".

I'm not sure how you disagree with what I said....?

They are not in the game, give them time, and you will see them? Regardless if it was supposed to be there day 1, it wasn't there.

What else can you possibly do at this point?

Edited by Jaku

If Star Wars The Old Republic was a clone of World of Warcraft but with the star wars universe, it would be the greatest game to ever have existed.

What was that quote again? 'Opinions are like ******es - everyone has one and they're usually full of ****.' I always liked that one, but can't remember who said it.

But its not. It's terribly outdated and lacking in basic features that any other MMO has.

btw, saying that "Blizzard set the BAR with World of Warcraft", means that other MMO's should at the very least, be at the same field as Warcraft.

Bioware thought the game was 6 years ago and in another country.

Well, let's see, SWTOR hit the 1 million subscriber mark on release day. WoW did fantastically well, but even they were talking about only 1.5 million just short of four months after release:

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/blizzard_entertainment/219363.html

Sounds like it's the other way around, so far.

Edited by Zmidponk

What was that quote again? 'Opinions are like ******es - everyone has one and they're usually full of ****.' I always liked that one, but can't remember who said it.

Well, let's see, SWTOR hit the 1 million subscriber mark on release say. WoW did fantastically well, but even they were talking about only 1.5 million just short of four months after release:

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/blizzard_entertainment/219363.html

Sounds like it's the other way around, so far.

Considering MMOs back when WoW started were considered for nerds and not anywhere near mainstream your point is invalid.