The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Let's be real, let's be honest here....

Ogitrev

While I agree there are alot of issues to work out, I do disagree with the constant comparisons to when WoW launched. That was a long time ago. Now, some might take what I just said as if I am defending EA/BioWare, I am NOT!

The fact is that Rift made by a small company named Trion delivered an MMO with a TON more features, better visuals and a lot of support. I would think that a game coming from a top developer like BioWare and supported by EA with a license like Star Wars would of been a bit better. in Rift some of the "basics" like UI adjusting was out at launch, but not with Star Wars.

Rift had basic graphical options like supersampling, terrain draw distance and plethora of other sliders to customize the game and yet Star Wars does not have these two basic things and is missing several of the smaller ones?

It is puzzleing to think that a game released at the end of 2011 would be lacking is such basic features.

I love the game, hell I paid for a 6 months Sub, bought the collectors, bought 2 more collectors for X-mas gifts and I know that in time things will get better, but what I dont defend is some basic stuff. Duel Spec and those other things can come in time, but launch day stuff like graphical tweakes, scalable and moveable UI are so basic fundenmentals in a MMO it is shocking not to see them day 1.

I know there has been a lot talk about bugs and such and those need to be addressed very quickly. I also know to do a voiced MMO took some serious time to do, but when your game is lacking simple, almost "expected" features like UI/Graphic Settings you have to wonder what the hell is going on?

I have had enough of people defending the game and comparing this launch to the WoW launch. That was 7 years ago, things have progressed. The best comparison is to Rift since that was the most recent big MMO released and Trion figured out how to incorporate a lot of the "basic" things on launch day.

Bottom line is that to me the game is pretty damn good, but a lot, I mean a lot of work is needed and some stuff is needed very quickly. Scalable UI, Graphical Options, Performance improvement and any game breaking bugs should be top priority (not in the order I put them mind you). The game has so much potential and you can see that what they have done so far is pretty damn good. It just needs a lot of fine tuning right now and I hope this happens fairly quickly. As mentioned, if other "recently" released MMO's can have "basic" features on launch day, there is no reason that EA/BioWare couldnt have done the same thing.

Edited by Ogitrev

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, I played Rift at launch and it had it's share of bugs,<rifts were bugged> and lag and times it went down. I really am not seeing the glaring issues that need immediate fix. I see a game that launched and needs patching like every other MMO that has ever launched.

If we are being honest, I think people take playing MMOs way too seriously, and put way too much drama into deciding whether to play a computer game. It can't get any more simple than if you like it, then play it. Otherwise, it's ok to not play it, or even like another game more.

Bottom line is that to me the game is pretty damn good, but alot, I mean alot of work is needed and some stuff is needed very quickly.

Please do explain the issues so we can have some intelliegent conversation on solutions to "a lot of work on stuff" and please do it quickly. Thanks.

While I agree there are alot of issues to work out, I do disagree with the constant comparisons to when WoW launched. That was a long time ago. Now, some might take what I just said as if I am defending EA/BioWare, I am NOT!

The fact is that Rift made by a small company named Trion delivered an MMO with a TON more features, better visuals and a lot of support. I would think that a game coming from a top developer like BioWare and supported by EA with a license like Star Wars would of been a bit better. in Rift some of the "basics" like UI adjusting was out at launch, but not with Star Wars.

Rift had basic graphical options like supersampling, terrain draw distance and plethora of other sliders to customize the game and yet Star Wars does not have these two basic things and is missing several of the smaller ones?

It is puzzleing to think that a game released at the end of 2011 would be lacking is such basic features.

I love the game, hell I paid for a 6 months Sub, bought the collectors, bought 2 more collectors for X-mas gifts and I know that in time things will get better, but what I dont defend is some basic stuff. Duel Spec and those other things can come in time, but launch day stuff like graphical tweakes, scalable and moveable UI are so basic fundenmentals in a MMO it is shocking not to see them day 1.

I know there has been a lot talk about bugs and such and those need to be addressed very quickly. I also know to do a voiced MMO took some serious time to do, but when your game is lacking simple, almost "expected" features like UI/Graphic Settings you have to wonder what the hell is going on?

I have had enough of people defending the game and comparing this launch to the WoW launch. That was 7 years ago, things have progressed. The best comparison is to Rift since that was the most recent big MMO released and Trion figured out how to incorporate a lot of the "basic" things on launch day.

Bottom line is that to me the game is pretty damn good, but a lot, I mean a lot of work is needed and some stuff is needed very quickly. Scalable UI, Graphical Options, Performance improvement and any game breaking bugs should be top priority (not in the order I put them mind you). The game has so much potential and you can see that what they have done so far is pretty damn good. It just needs a lot of fine tuning right now and I hope this happens fairly quickly. As mentioned, if other "recently" released MMO's can have "basic" features on launch day, there is no reason that EA/BioWare couldnt have done the same thing.

It's compared to wow all the time because WoW set the bar. Incase you didn't know.

Edited by BlastTyrentt

So...pretty much like 90% of other MMOs?

No, most recently launched MMO's have had "BASIC" functions like UI Scalability, Graphical Options that let you customize the game, hell the ability to add "AA" is considered a commong thing with computer games, but not with Star Wars.

I disagree, I played Rift at launch and it had it's share of bugs,<rifts were bugged> and lag and times it went down. I really am not seeing the glaring issues that need immediate fix. I see a game that launched and needs patching like every other MMO that has ever launched.

Same, I came in full aware that this would be bugged to hell. Surprised that is been perfectly playable till this point. Also surprised I never got DC's, never crashed and never lag.

Also, I don't really understand all the "love" for rift. I really don't. My friend is an MMO NUT so he tends to take a bite at any new one. So I got a chance to try it out on launch week. Compared to swtor it was a complete mess. Servers crashing, lag ect but even that was par for the course. But, the actual game itself was "meh". It had no soul of its own. It wasn't really bad but it wasn't really good either. It didn't really do anything "well". Combat was "functional" and so where the rest of the features but NOTHING stood out. My friend didn't even bother subscribing to it and I didn't buy it.

Now, if you guys wanna see a REAL **** launch then take a good look at FF14. Thats honestly the worst MMO launch I've ever seen and I honestly don't think an MMO will ever match it.

Edited by flunkorg

It's compared to wow all the time because WoW set the bar. Incase you didn't know.

Yes, I do know that. I meant it more that people want to compare the SW launch to the WoW launch. At the end of 2011, I don't see why a game from top caliber developer is missing "basic" functions.

Using the arguement that the WoW launch was a cluster fxxx to the SW launch is a stupid comparison because 7 years ago development and tech was based on that time frame.

Granted, considering that it's Bioware, and has been in development for forever, and its budget is one of the biggest ever -- I think it's fair to say that the result should maybe have been even better than what it is now.

But, even so, the current state is more than good enough to beat the pants out of any MMO out there. If other MMOs are 10, then maybe we had a right to expect 200, but even as things stand, 100 is still a lot better than everything else.

...and some people think that means any other MMO MUST do exactly what WoW has done/is doing/will do. If that's the case, that MMO would be a clone of WoW, so why would I play it instead of WoW?

But, to get back to the OP's post, the general thrust of that post is actually accurate - there are some things that are pretty much standard features of any modern PC game, far less MMOGs, that SWTOR lacks, such as proper in-game anti-aliasing, for example. Now, don't get me wrong, SWTOR is an enjoyable game, but it would be better and more enjoyable had Bioware/EA delayed it long enough to get at least some of these kind of features in.

Same, I came in full aware that this would be bugged to hell. Surprised that is been perfectly playable till this point. Also surprised I never got DC's, never crashed and never lag.

Also, I don't really understand all the "love" for rift. I really don't. My friend is an MMO NUT so he tends to take a bite at any new one. So I got a chance to try it out on launch week. Compared to swtor it was a complete mess. Servers crashing, lag ect but even that was par for the course. But, the actual game itself was "meh". It had no soul of its own. It wasn't really bad but it wasn't really good either. It didn't really do anything "well". Combat was "functional" and so where the rest of the features but NOTHING stood out. My friend didn't even bother subscribing to it and I didn't buy it.

Now, if you guys wanna see a REAL **** launch then take a good look at FF14. Thats honestly the worst MMO launch I've ever seen and I honestly don't think an MMO will ever match.

Again, I am talking about some basic functions that are considered standard that Rift did have and Star Wars did not. I played Rift for over 6 months and I did not have many bugs etc. that I came across.

I do agree that so far for me, I have not had many issues with Star Wars up until the last big patch where performance was degraded for me. I also experiened to crashes so far, which did not happen prior to the patch and I was in day 1 of early access.

I think what they have right now as of today is pretty damn good, I mean I would not purchase a 6 month subsciption if I did not think that way. But what I do disagree with is the fact some basic features are not present. The ability to use AA is like a cornerstone feature to almost EVERY single PC game, but it is lacking in SW. Draw distance sliders, which to me is sorely needed because seeing grass grow right in front of you is an eyesore. Again, "BASIC" features, common features, expected features.

...and some people think that means any other MMO MUST do exactly what WoW has done/is doing/will do. If that's the case, that MMO would be a clone of WoW, so why would I play it instead of WoW?

But, to get back to the OP's post, the general thrust of that post is actually accurate - there are some things that are pretty much standard features of any modern PC game, far less MMOGs, that SWTOR lacks, such as proper in-game anti-aliasing, for example. Now, don't get me wrong, SWTOR is an enjoyable game, but it would be better and more enjoyable had Bioware/EA delayed it long enough to get at least some of these kind of features in.

Thanks. That is my general gist of my post. Some general standard features is what the game is missing, things that were present in the last big MMO which is why I compared it to Rift. I am not talking about story lines, quests or stuff like that. I am more discussing some basic game features.

If we are being honest, I think people take playing MMOs way too seriously, and put way too much drama into deciding whether to play a computer game. It can't get any more simple than if you like it, then play it. Otherwise, it's ok to not play it, or even like another game more.

Isn't it great to live a life where the biggest worry you have is UI Scaling and more graphical tweaks? Gosh, our lives are HARD! Tough... just so damn tough. =0)

It's funny, OP says he likes the game and yet still he gets heckled by people who think the game has nothing wrong with it lol

Yeah, I am not getting it I guess. I love the game, bought 3 Collectors Edition's, 2 60 gamecards, 1 6 month sub., the Star Wars Razer mouse, Explorers Guide, but apparently I hate the game and am being "heckled" as you put it because I am not blowing sunshine up EA/BioWare's rear end.

Bottom line and it is FACT that the game released with BASIC features that are COMMON amonst PC games that should have been included on Launch Day.