The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

"It's not an MMO"

Captain_Failure

SWTOR is apparently not an MMO because the questlines guide you from one world to the next and do not require you to group with players. You understand that by this definition of the term that WoW is not an MMO. Neither is, say, Guild Wars 2.

Before responding to this I suggest looking up the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. It's the only reason this argument got started on these forums in the first place.

Edit: This post has nothing to do with the quality of SWTOR. It has everything to do with the fact that yes, it is an MMO.

Edited by Captain_Failure

I haven't grouped up as much as I did in SWTOR than any other MMO.

Whoever says they soloed everything obviously just either left /1 or ignore the hundreds of "LFM Heroics" in chat.

E V E R Y world I've been in, I have grouped up with at least 2-3 different groups. This is much more than ANY MMO out there, even more so than WoW.

I don't have a problem with people complaining, but all these threads and posts about SWTOR not being an MMO because everything is solo are just blatant LIES.

Say, i was playing WoW cataclysm and the quest lines guided me from quest hub to quest hub and they dont require me to group up (heck there even arent any optional group quests). Does this mean WoW isnt an MMO aswell? Does any of this make any sense?

MMO = massive multyplayer online (at this point it just means the game allows a massive ammount of players to be playing at the same time). I think the terms are quite right.

Edited by Nemmar

SWTOR is apparently not an MMO because the questlines guide you from one world to the next and do not require you to group with players. You understand that by this definition of the term that WoW is not an MMO. Neither is, say, Guild Wars 2.

Before responding to this I suggest looking up the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. It's the only reason this argument got started on these forums in the first place.

and anothere topic where someone write what is not and not what it is...

but i agree in part with this, for me the last rel MMO was UO (i've played on prvate server) where all content in the game was created by players, every quest, storry, item was created by players... and everything depended from how you role play your char

Yeah you people seriously got to quit playing games and finally focus on school. MMO stands for multi massive online. Let me see.. There is over a million players, it's online only... Yep sounds like an MMO. Go back to school, it might be useful. :p

Say, i was playing WoW cataclysm and the quest lines guided me from quest hub to quest hub and they dont require me to group up (heck there even arent any optional group quests). Does this mean WoW isnt an MMO aswell?

Yes, this in fact disqualifies WoW's MMO status. There are no MMO's. MMO's are an illusion. Nothing to see here. Move along.

MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. <---By definition that just means you're playing a game with many many other people. It has nothing to do with how many people you "group" with. It literally just means there are many many other people playing the game, and you will see them running around doing their own thing.

People are over-thinking this subject too much. It's really quite simple if you take a step back.

Say, i was playing WoW cataclysm and the quest lines guided me from quest hub to quest hub and they dont require me to group up (heck there even arent any optional group quests).

Yep, in cata I only grouped in the LFG dungeon finder. I ToR I usually try to hit up all the group quests. Some of them have awesome rewards. Quite often I will find myself grouping with the same people.

Yep, in cata I only grouped in the LFG dungeon finder. I ToR I usually try to hit up all the group quests. Some of them have awesome rewards. Quite often I will find myself grouping with the same people.

lol I never grouped at all even before "cata" for quest. The only time I ever did was for dungeons. That's because wow is so pathetically easy that a group wasn't needed for ANY of the quest in the entire game.

The OP is right TOR is a Real MMO, just a real bad one, it is so horrible it will probably set back the genre for years. When a reputable company goes looking for capital to make a MMO, investors are going to look at WAR and now TOR and say NO way man!! It will be easier for Greece to get money than MMO makers!!

The OP is right TOR is a Real MMO, just a real bad one, it is so horrible it will probably set back the genre for years. When a reputable company goes looking for capital to make a MMO, investors are going to look at WAR and now TOR and say NO way man!! It will be easier for Greece to get money than MMO makers!!

While this is one of the most hyperbolic and opinionated statements in MMO forum history you are entitled to your view on the situation.

I disagree on TOR being bad. Yes it has bugs but I don't feel it's horrible by any means. My friend and I are leveling together and I'm having a blast.

I receive more mail from npc's then from real players.

I see more npc's then real players.

World / Map layout looks more to a RTS game.

The world isn't living, all the same tree's and rocks. No nice swimming places, no nature (flowers, little creaturs, birds etc etc).

I do enjoy the quests/game.

But paying for a game and then every month to play is to much asked.

For me its a expensive single 3D shooter RTS game.

I'll be honest I feel that this game really is more of a MMO because when I group it means more; players are more close knit even in pugs yeah you will get the occasional wow refugee screaming gogogo for the most part though it's more like sitting around the table with my buds playing D&D like when we were kids.

I think that is going to end up being the big draw to this game.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

I receive more mail from npc's then from real players.

I see more npc's then real players.

World / Map layout looks more to a RTS game.

The world isn't living, all the same tree's and rocks. No nice swimming places, no nature (flowers, little creaturs, birds etc etc).

I do enjoy the quests/game.

But paying for a game and then every month to play is to much asked.

For me its a expensive single 3D shooter RTS game.

1. That's your own fault. Players won't mail you for no reason. Try getting to know players before magically expecting mail from them.

2. In my case I was tripping over players on Balmorra just this morning. You may have not seen many players, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

3. So does any MMO world map. Your point?

4. I could say this about any MMO world. Subjective opinion is not fact.

5. Your final statement removed your credibility. I've heard some out there statements about this game, but you just won the award in that category.

Edited by Captain_Failure

Anyone who says this isn't an MMO is crazy. I barely could survive doing things solo at higher levels. At 50 there isn't much you can really do by yourself except go back and do quests you skipped or queue for pvp. My final storyline boss I had to group for and I had to help a few jedi knights in my guild complete theirs.

Anyone who says this isn't an MMO should try to see if they can complete their storyline without ever asking anyone for help and see how that goes.