Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Companion instead of player crafting was a major mistake

Chiricahua

In WoW and other games when I want a major break from questing, or PVP - which I hardly ever tire of - I pursue my gathering and crafting interests. I can spend a whole day on this and enjoy it. This is another reason why the Bioware devs have a major disconnect from players. They just don't have a clue.

In a few days I'll cancel SWTOR, and resub my WOW.

Edited by Chiricahua

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In WoW and other games when I want a major break from questing, or PVP - which I hardly ever tire of - I pursue my gathering and crafting interests. I can spend a whole day on this and enjoy it. This is another reason why the Bioware devs have a major disconnect from players. They just don't have a clue.

In less a couple of days I'll cancel SWTOR, and resub my WOW.

Ok, have fun fishing! Byeeeee

Your opinion does not reflect all of us. So to claim Bioware to be disconnected from the players based on this is ignorance at best, and hubris at worst.

I for one enjoy not having to spend hours upon hours of actively crafting. If I want to take a break from gaming - I'll step away from my computer, not run around chasing nodes and sowing together Sith-dresses.

Go get some fresh air.

This is entirely a matter of opinion. I love the crafting/gathering system.

Wait YOU don't like the choice they made means it was a bad choice?

Ok I understand where I went wrong, see I like the crafting system this game has. But thanks for enlightening me I have changed my mind. I have seen the light and will cancel my sub too and go play another MMO.

Thabj you OP for enlightening me.

/sarcasm

Wait YOU don't like the choice they made means it was a bad choice?

Ok I understand where I went wrong, see I like the crafting system this game has. But thanks for enlightening me I have changed my mind. I have seen the light and will cancel my sub too and go play another MMO.

Thabj you OP for enlightening me.

/sarcasm

GOD I love these kinds of posts XD

I was one off the first 700 weapsonsmith crafers on my DAOC server. I was still level 10, yet maxed out. Everyone in their 40s was running around with my weapons. When I logged in, I was deluged by tells. The other 690ish weapons crafter was furiously trying to craft over me, but couldn't close the gap because I was willing to spend more time crafting.

I killed more players than anyone else in that game. At level 10. Because all of the Celts were armed by me.

That will NEVER happen for anyone in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Now comes all the posts from people who don't normally craft telling me how great their style of play is and that I should like it.

Edited by Tannim

Really? It was the most boring thing in wow. I prefer to stay in Sw/Org than gather something.

You're not a crafter. You're an explorer/killer.

How would you like it if every mission required you o sit there for hours trying new combinations and watching a bar move? I think that would be great. I don't think you'd like it.

The fact the crafter's preferred playstyle has been morphed into yours doesn't mean everyone will like it.

I hate doing what you just described.

I hope the OP knows he is not forced to quest or PVP while companions are crafting....

Not really the issue. There's too much supply and too little demand. Every character is a high level crafter. Because they can send their companions on grind quests. This devalues crafting in general and removes some of the fun for crafting characters. When everyone is a skilled artisan, it's worthless.

Really? It was the most boring thing in wow. I prefer to stay in Sw/Org than gather something.

Maybe the OP is a gold seller? Only gold sellers enjoy doing mundane tasks like gathering materials all day. Me, I play games to play them... not simulate a farmer and pretend it's my second job.

Not really the issue. There's too much supply and too little demand. Every character is a high level crafter. Because they can send their companions on grind quests. This devalues crafting in general and removes some of the fun for crafting characters. When everyone is a skilled artisan, it's worthless.

Actually, it was dead long before this game. I can see why you're disappointed. If I were the kind of person who only played MMOs to craft things, and I was uninterested in every other aspect of the game, I would be pretty bent about it too. However, crafting was found to be a great way to smooth over one of the largest issues with MMOs - RNG trouble. Make crafting relatively accessible, make the materials somewhat time-consuming to gather, and make the products comparable to items achieved in other areas of the game through similar time investment. This helps even out the curve on gear progression in these games.

Unfortunately, unless crafters could make items that were better than anything that dropped anywhere, these days are never coming back. People want the absolute best item (typically) that they can equip. If it comes from crafting, you'll see a big dump in the number of people willing to play the game long term, they'll just grind out the mats, find the crafter, get the item made, and then once they're kitted out, quit the game.

The problem is that we tend to try to focus on one element that we really like and ignore the fact that most people like more than one aspect, and that most aspects are interconnected in some way.

And I would argue that your analogy is specious: you can still go out and gather most materials, you need to generate cash for yourself to send companions on missions for rare materials, or buy them off the AH, and you can spend no time leveling and all of it crafting. It's totally possible. It's not very sustainable, but if it's really what you want to do, it's possible. It has been slightly altered, not fundamentally changed as you suggest.

Well at least the truth is out. It not a play-style issue (as it was framed) is a monopoly issue. They made a crafting system more accessible to the masses and this irks you because you can't carve out a little cartel. Noted.

Some of us have jobs. lives. spouses. children. ect. I am perfectly content with crafting and accomplishing something at the same time.

The starfox mingame and pvp should be more than enough break for you! If not, set your guys up to craft them delve into a single player game you that own?

Or if you like WoW go play WoW.

Edited by Rudest

[sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]

^ going 1-400 (whatever I forgot) in anything related to gathering/crafting in Aion traumatized me for life. I still hear the cries of agony in legion chat whenever anyone had to raise their crafting skills.

So yeah, the crafting system in swtor is absolutely superb. I'm sorry you can't feel like a special snowflake anymore.

Edited by wixxkruppel

No game, no matter how it is designed will please 100% of the people! Just not going to happen, that is why there are so many games, and even game styles. If the crafting in SWTOR is a deal breaker for you then there are many other games to play. Personally I find this system a nice change and I did the whole maxing all crafting types out with 9 different toons in EQ2 thing. Still I'm not going to try to tell you that your opinion is not valid, I just suggest if it's that much of an issue you might find a different game more enjoyable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.