Why does everyone hate the prequals????

reaperkeepet

If one has to read a novelization of a film to understand what happened in the film, then it means the film didn't do its job at telling the story well enough.

again tell me which movie series youve watched without reading the books and ill tell you the massive points of the plot you missed because you didnt read the books first

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That review IMO actually completely opened my eyes to how bad they were. When they started talking about the characters that surprised me... almost shocked me that I had no anwser for the characters. Really. I think just from that review (and many other reviews from people on this thread as well) that I fully understand what was so dull and what completely turned me off from the prequals. I will always remember this if I ever see them again.

ima use the first example he did in the review. quigon was the first where people didnt know who he was. The creator of the review quite obviously doesnt know what classic story telling is even though he claims he does several times. Quigon was obviously the sage, or wise old man.

This type of character is typically represented as a kind and wise, older father-type figure who uses personal knowledge of people and the world to help tell stories and offer guidance that, in a mystical way, may impress upon his audience a sense of who they are and who they might become, thereby acting as a mentor. He may occasionally appear as an absent-minded professor, appearing absent-minded due to a predilection for contemplative pursuits. The wise old man is often seen to be in some way "foreign", that is, from a different culture, nation, or occasionally, even a different time, from those he advises.

thats was his character and Liam did a good job of portraying it IMO. If you do not see this then you need pat attention to what you watch...

Edited by Solbjorn

I thought the story for the prequels was excellent. Seriously, it's classic fall to the evil side that's been done over and over and over again and proven to work. People like this stuff.

Seriously, Episode 1 made sense. If it weren't for Jar-Jar, Gungans, Obi-Wan, Annakin, and tasteless CGI, it would've been fine.

Episode 2 also had a good story, it was solid, separatists manipulated by dooku manipulated by sidious awesome. It would've been fine if not for Anakin, Anakin, Anakin, the *********** ****** romance that had absolutely no progression between him and Padme, and

Episode 3. Oh my god, the cgi wasn't even noticeable. Once again, if it weren't for Anakin, it would've been awesome.

I thought the story for the prequels was excellent. Seriously, it's classic fall to the evil side that's been done over and over and over again and proven to work. People like this stuff.

Seriously, Episode 1 made sense. If it weren't for Jar-Jar, Gungans, Obi-Wan, Annakin, and tasteless CGI, it would've been fine.

Episode 2 also had a good story, it was solid, separatists manipulated by dooku manipulated by sidious awesome. It would've been fine if not for Anakin, Anakin, Anakin, the *********** ****** romance that had absolutely no progression between him and Padme, and

Episode 3. Oh my god, the cgi wasn't even noticeable. Once again, if it weren't for Anakin, it would've been awesome.

I agree. The ONLY people i know who dont like the films are people who grew up on the original trilogy and were deeply affected by it. I grew up on the triology but still like the prequels. the cgi does a better job of bringing the world to life. muppets dont do that...

The prequels had more holes than the movie Holes with that Lebeuf kid in it; especialy from phantom to ep II. The love story WAS lame and did have to much focus as Anikin was a *****. Also Georgie just expected you to believe a relationship developed between ObiWan and Anikin in the ghost years only to have to release an animated series calling it the clone wars to shut up at the nerd rage out there ( they should have called it the ghost wars).

the clone war TV series (Not including the first animated short series) was filled with countless holes/retcon's/and inaccuracies.

again tell me which movie series youve watched without reading the books and ill tell you the massive points of the plot you missed because you didnt read the books first

How about the PT films, which were novelized AFTER they came out in theaters? Also, read my reply again: if you have to read a book to understand what happened in a film, then the film didn't do its job.

the clone war TV series (Not including the first animated short series) was filled with countless holes/retcon's/and inaccuracies.

lol, actually they had to retcon even before the series in order for Ahsoka to be Anakin's padawan because beforehand, Anakin wasn't even a knight

there was also a series of young adult books that filled in Anakin's childhood years as a padawan, and i read thsoe, but they were pretty lackluster tbh

sort of like Harry Potter without imagination and instead of Dumbledore we get Obi-wan who is all sorts of useless i can't even describe with words

How about the PT films, which were novelized AFTER they came out in theaters? Also, read my reply again: if you have to read a book to understand what happened in a film, then the film didn't do its job.

Nope. RoTS came out 2-4 weeks before the movie. Believe me I know, I'd say I was one of the first to buy it on the first day.

huh? read what you quoted me saying again

lol, actually they had to retcon even before the series in order for Ahsoka to be Anakin's padawan because beforehand, Anakin wasn't even a knight

there was also a series of young adult books that filled in Anakin's childhood years as a padawan, and i read thsoe, but they were pretty lackluster tbh

sort of like Harry Potter without imagination and instead of Dumbledore we get Obi-wan who is all sorts of useless i can't even describe with words

1. Anakin was a Knight shortly after Battle of Geonosis.

2. Obi-Wan useless? You do realize he played probably one of the most importants in all of SW Lore. He made Anikan, a robot. It stopped Anakin from becoming the destined God he was suppose to be. And he then taught Luke. And he also did more stuff that was very Lore-Changing.

You're right, the novelizations did come out before the films did. It still doesn't change my point.

dude the harry potter movies, which everyone loves had very little to do with the books. they hit the same ending but the story is told very differently. ok well in that case reading the books made the movies more confusing... ok i hate harry potter bad example. read the lord of the rings books first then watch the movies. the movies are missing several elements that make the story far more detailed. you miss alot of the story by by not reading the books. again all im saying is if you were confused by the movie then read the bokk and become unconfused... if your too lazy to read then dont watch the movie ever again if it just makes you sad everytime you see it. all of you prequel haters despise the movies with such passion. why not channel the passion into reading the books? or something constructive rather than wasting it on analyzing a movie that was poorly executed? and continue to bash lucas on his directing, yes that job that youll never have cause no one cares what you think? easy to criticise, why dont you produce and direct something better? create something that no matter how many time you release it, bad or not, millions of people will go watch it

avatar was a **** movie. amazing special effects but such a boring ****** story. a story that been told several times already. i think james cameron is a terrible director yet hes hailed as one of the greatest. Avatar was nothing without the cgi Cameron or not. Dont think any movie by james cameron is worth **** but everyone thinks hes good. though on most of the films you coulda had anyone directing and people still woulda liked it

avatar was a **** movie. amazing special effects but such a boring ****** story. a story that been told several times already. i think james cameron is a terrible director yet hes hailed as one of the greatest. Avatar was nothing without the cgi Cameron or not. Dont think any movie by james cameron is worth **** but everyone thinks hes good. though on most of the films you coulda had anyone directing and people still woulda liked it

Did you even watch Avatar?

Anyway, most directors wouldn't touch SW. Either too much respect for Lucas(I.E. Speilberg) or their too frightened of messing up such a huge franchise or they just don't want to do it.

My favorite director, Christopher Nolan, definately wouldn't touch. He's too real.

1. Anakin was a Knight shortly after Battle of Geonosis.

2. Obi-Wan useless? You do realize he played probably one of the most importants in all of SW Lore. He made Anikan, a robot. It stopped Anakin from becoming the destined God he was suppose to be. And he then taught Luke. And he also did more stuff that was very Lore-Changing.

Anakin is also one of the most important characters in Star Wars.

Doesn't mean he wasn't portrayed as a clueless child, a whiny emotionally high, spoiled teenager, and an adult who threw everything he was ever given and taught back at his mentors who in his view "betrayed" him, which makes no sense at all.

If Obi-wan was so *********** competent then how the **** did Sidious become Anakin's father figure.

The death of qui-gon was pretty much his fault too, darth vader was also his fault, and if u read legacy, then darth krayt was also his fault because he allowed him to live. Let me see, he failed to teach the one person that really mattered even though he promised his mentor that he would, he failed to kill Anakin, resulting in Vader, resultiing in another pawn for the emperor, he failed to kill Krayt, griefing the Skywalker family yet again 100 years AFTER RotJ. that's like, 3 giant failures.

Sure he's a fictional character who changed fictional history. But he changed it for the worse.

Did you even watch Avatar?

Anyway, most directors wouldn't touch SW. Either too much respect for Lucas(I.E. Speilberg) or their too frightened of messing up such a huge franchise or they just don't want to do it.

My favorite director, Christopher Nolan, definately wouldn't touch. He's too real.

yes i have. Im a 3D artist it was a huge CGI movie so kinda had to watch it. Only compelling part of the movie was the CGI.

dude the harry potter movies, which everyone loves had very little to do with the books. they hit the same ending but the story is told very differently. ok well in that case reading the books made the movies more confusing... ok i hate harry potter bad example. read the lord of the rings books first then watch the movies. the movies are missing several elements that make the story far more detailed. you miss alot of the story by by not reading the books. again all im saying is if you were confused by the movie then read the bokk and become unconfused... if your too lazy to read then dont watch the movie ever again if it just makes you sad everytime you see it. all of you prequel haters despise the movies with such passion. why not channel the passion into reading the books? or something constructive rather than wasting it on analyzing a movie that was poorly executed? and continue to bash lucas on his directing, yes that job that youll never have cause no one cares what you think? easy to criticise, why dont you produce and direct something better? create something that no matter how many time you release it, bad or not, millions of people will go watch it

How many fallacious arguments can one person jam into a single post? You said you'd point out the plot holes in the PT films that don't exist because of the books, even though I said that having to read the books means that the films failed at telling the story. I'm waiting for those specific examples.

My problems aren't just the pre-quels. It is all the fiddling and changing Lucas has done to the entire series over the years. Some of it just doesn't make and sense at all.

1. Kenobi says" strange, I dont racall ever owning a droid." yet he clearly did. R4? Anyone? besides after YEARS of hanging out with Anakin and R2D2 he didn't recognize him when Luke presented him?

2. Why was the apparel of some bedoin people on tatooine all the sudden the apparel of ALL JEDI EVERYWHERE? Luke and Obi were on Tatooine, a desert planet. Of course they dressed in robes like desert people do. Why in the prequels did every last jedi dress like they were from Tatooine??? It showed no imagination or style at all.

3. Why does the entire evil plot of Darth Sidious the super powerful evil Sith Lord hing on getting Jar Jar Binks to propose him as supreme chancellor? really?...

4. Haaden Christensen was a bad Anakin. Just bad.

5. For what 20 years or so at the end of RoJ the old man who was Vader was shown as a force ghost next to an old man Kenobi and old Yoda. Now it is the kid who played the whiney poorly acted Anakin? wow...just wow.

6. Midichlorians.

7. Way too much boring love story not enough clone wars in the move the clone wars.

8. The way Anakin lost the fight with Kenobi was stupid.

9. Padme just dies for no reason? thats LOL no imagination. If there "is still good in him" then why just die? it's dumb.

10. Jar Jar Binks