Am I the only one who finds Kaliyo underpowered?

Kesh

i also just got level 28, and she is fine for me... gear her up, use your cc's/interrupts, manage the fight...

she only has 2 orange pieces on her as well

ya i have to rest her up after a "tougher" fight, but she rarely dies on me...

i heal her up but others say it is faster to dismiss her and recall her and it will bring her back to full health

Use all your abilities, don't just send her in and spamm dmg in a target.

When I tackle a harder group - elite / strongs mixed with weak / normals, I always turn off her aoe skills, burst 1 dude down fast with her focus firing with a flashbang on other, then put her on a strong and I grab the elite with Diversion into entrench etc.

You need to work as a team with her, if you just send her in, she won't last without your support or guidance.

Always press CTRL+2 - passive when you want her to move from an AoE effect if you can't interrupt it, then send her back in, if you are biochem research epic healing pacs for you and companion (I have those on my sin, really neat, healing me and pet for 3k+ on 90s cd, without consuming the healing kit).

If sniper had stealth and vanish, I could solo hero 4 content, is really that good. You can pretty much pulverize a target if you keep your gear at your level with good mods and on her, and eliminate a 2nd one before flashbang ends :D

I'm level 40 and I've used Kaliyo exclusively. She does die a lot, but without her there's no way I can solo elites...at least not as easily. Here's a couple of things you can do:

1. Keep her geared.

2. Use your interrupts during the fights. I generally do this between cast times or when recovering energy.

3. Move her out of the fire (duh). A lot of mobs show an AoE area they are going to attack. so put her in passive to withdrawl then send her back in. #2 is the best way to handle it.

You're gonna have to heal up after most fights though, but I find her to be the best of all of the companions to quest with.

At that level i found her just perfect, as stated earlier i just kept her up to date with gear. I never manually controlled her at that level. I just found her doing what i wanted anyway, Sure she died at some elite encounters but i think it was for the greater good :D Edited by LeHooch

Also, make sure like someone said that only her defense abilities are on.

Right now at level 40 I have her in Guard Stance with everything on for her abilities bar except for charged shot. Seems to work pretty well.

Have you guys checked your companion bar to see if her shield ability is toggled on?

level 23 operative, i think kal is just fine, like a few have stated above, make sure you keep her gear current.

around level 18 or so she was gettin rocked, then i bought her all new equip and she is a beast now :)

also make sure you have her in her tank stance, i think its called guarded stance?

Frankly I prefer Vector over Kaliyo for anything but elites. She takes a ton of damage.

It's not that she dies on each pack, its just annoying I have to recuperate after every 2-3 pulls involving at least a strong and/or a lot of normal mobs.

There is also a huge difference between using her as Operative (where you can toss the odd heal) and as Sniper.

I still feel Bioware made a mistake when they nerfed ALL tanking companions across the board because some healers could solo flashpoints. That really hit the dps classes who rely on tanking companions.

Vector feels more solid for me for 3 reasons:

a) We take down targets way faster. Of course my dps is way higher, but the extra dps he provides is noticeable

b) Because we kill them faster, there is less damage going out, thus less damage taken.

c) Since he can't hold aggro, we usually split the damage.

In the end I can last twice as long before I have to recuperate.

I don't think Kaliyo is horrible, but her tank stance is seriously subpar. I've actually had better results with her in dps stance for a lot of questmobs. That said, she seems to be extremely gear dependent; upgrading her outfit helped a lot, but I still feel she's a subpar tank (as are most tanks btw).

Edited by _Nyth

I don't understand why people use kaliyo over lokin. Once you gear him(his starting gear sucks, he doesn't even come with a weapon) even elites become a joke. And you don't have to dismiss after every fight like you do with kaliyo either.

I don't understand why people use kaliyo over lokin. Once you gear him(his starting gear sucks, he doesn't even come with a weapon) even elites become a joke. And you don't have to dismiss after every fight like you do with kaliyo either.

Whats great about the doc is if you keep your old orange gear you can simply throw it on him, throw in some of your older mods and you just geared a character for 0 credits. I went and bought an orange blaster from the Taris Commendation vendor and through in a new barrel and some of my old mods. He is by far the best companion I have had.

As an aside, any idea when im getting my 3rd companion? lvl 29 in alderaan atm

Mind this contains some spoilers.

If you count the droid (I generally don't he's more of a fetch dog :p), your third companion comes from your class quest on Aldaraan (roughly lvl 30-32 when you finish up).

If you don't count the droid, your 3th companion comes from Taris class quest (35-38ish).

Vector is a melee dps'er which you get on Aldaraan.

Doctor Lokin is a healer/dpser you get on Taris.