Mercenary seems to be lacking compared to other classes?

Zuesy

What hasn't changed about wow ratings? Except there a HARDER messed up knew before so its harder to get 2.3. Imo it isn't great, but because ur a wow player and ur supporting he theory that Mercs good. U better be able to log on wow and have higher rating.

Arcane mages army viable for pvp. What's ur point.

Tell me how you play ur merc and ill say how I could easily improve and how I could counter if I no nothig about Mercs. The fact ur comparing them to arcane shows u no nothing. Arcane can keep a slow up for as long as they like. They also get a silence. They also get dropped in 1hit. How is that like merc. Merc does average good damage and that's it. What ur point.

Back to my point. I want to see ur xp as ur talking greaze

2.3 isnt that good, duelist

mercs good if you know how to position

ptechs are godly if you get huttball a lot (most empire does)

get over yourself

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What hasn't changed about wow ratings? Except there a HARDER messed up knew before so its harder to get 2.3. Imo it isn't great, but because ur a wow player and ur supporting he theory that Mercs good. U better be able to log on wow and have higher rating.

Arcane mages army viable for pvp. What's ur point.

Tell me how you play ur merc and ill say how I could easily improve and how I could counter if I no nothig about Mercs. The fact ur comparing them to arcane shows u no nothing. Arcane can keep a slow up for as long as they like. They also get a silence. They also get dropped in 1hit. How is that like merc. Merc does average good damage and that's it. What ur point.

Back to my point. I want to see ur xp as ur talking greaze

Well, I can't log on WoW because it's inactive. Quit calling people out. I was 2.4 in RBG's and 2.7 in season 8 for 3's. I quit after 9 due to all the MMR crap, but even legit people were being carried to the 2.2 "achievement." 2.2 isn't an achievement. It's not harder. Quit trying to buff your e-peen without you yourself providing any logs in SWTOR or WoW.

What's my point? Glass canons have a purpose in PvP.

Jedi Knight charge - Knockback (Jetpack) - Snare - Jedi Knight chokes to close the gap - Knockback (punch spec'd) - Jedi Knight charge - Knockback (Jetpack spec'd is only a 20 second CD) - This excludes one very OP heal, stun, trinket, and CC.

Seriously, what bad players have you been going against? If you're not burned by then he's just a terrible Merc. Don't blame the class. Calling Merc damage is underrating it. When free casting players get dropped and I have never had a problem getting peeled or just breaking away. The only thing I can say is when you're getting focus fired Mercs don't stand a chance. Which is the same for an Arcane Mage. Roll Frost.

Edit: And oh yes. Our primary knockback has a snare of its own.

Edited by Nikusu

get over yourself

That's not the point. A lot of scribe actually are talking like they can pvp. But they can't. I said I would like to see this great elitist xp they talk like. I'm not say 2.3 is good. But I want proof of a good player saying merc is good then I'm happy. Got a problem. I'll b happy to see if iv beaten that? Tbh I don't even no what ur on about but if ur siding with merc and trying to troll me. I'll wait for u too log.

My talk isn't elitist. I'm just saying it straight. People need to understand scrubs have a new chance to act like they no it. Because they have no way of showing there xp. Bioware needs to bring something out to measure how good people are. Iv had enough of hearing backpeddlers say merc can take on eveyone. It's lame

Thats Crap lol my Guildmate is a Bounty Hunter and we have a Full geared Group für Flashpoints, he is by far the most *********** OP Damage Dealer in the Game. 1 Missle and a Mob is Dead in an Hard Mode Flashpoint , our Other Dmg Dealers are really angry about this OP Mercenary / Commando Class .

sounds like your other dps are baddies

Well, I can't log on WoW because it's inactive. Quit calling people out. I was 2.4 in RBG's and 2.7 in season 8 for 3's. I quit after 9 due to all the MMR crap, but even legit people were being carried to the 2.2 "achievement." 2.2 isn't an achievement. It's not harder. Quit trying to buff your e-peen without you yourself providing any logs in SWTOR or WoW.

What's my point? Glass canons have a purpose in PvP.

Jedi Knight charge - Knockback (Jetpack) - Snare - Jedi Knight chokes to close the gap - Knockback (punch spec'd) - Jedi Knight charge - Knockback (Jetpack spec'd is only a 20 second CD) - This excludes one very OP heal, stun, trinket, and CC.

Seriously, what bad players have you been going against? If you're not burned by then he's just a terrible Merc. Don't blame the class. Calling Merc damage is underrating it. When free casting players get dropped and I have never had a problem getting peeled or just breaking away. The only thing I can say is when you're getting focus fired Mercs don't stand a chance. Which is the same for an Arcane Mage. Roll Frost.

Edit: And oh yes. Our primary knockback has a snare of its own.

So u can't log in? Ok lol. And I'm 2.6 in btw, not hard when u have a guild like mine.

Too the point. How many times have I said I'm trying to identify who's good. Not trying to be an elitist.

All ur little knock backs are useless to my powertech because ill be spammig rail shots against u, no 20sec knock back will help u against a pyro powertech. I'll just grapple and u will not last the next 20secs I swear to you.

And yeah I undertand merc can be good if posiioned right. But is that what u really want out of a class. If so. U don't no how to pvp.

get over yourself

do you honestly think that you are going to have always a ledge to stand on?

like every other class you have to move on the battlefield to support the rest of the group,and what are you going to do if you get catched by a melee class while walking on the field?

what mercs seriously need is an ability similar to the WoW warrior heroic leap to allow us to escape,OR a serious look at the talent tree,there are some perks that are completely garbage right now,because it's just not fair having less survivability and less damage than sorcerers and being outclassed in every possible way by the powertech

powertechs are good at doing anything,they can sustain a lot of damage,they have an excellent dps and more important a mobile one,it's impossible to escape from them considering all the gaps closers and all the cc they have

i feel like mercs atm are like the Destruction warlock om TBC,you have a good dps,but you sacrifice the survivability and the mobility that the affliction tree can give to you

do you honestly think that you are going to have always a ledge to stand on?

like every other class you have to move on the battlefield to support the rest of the group,and what are you going to do if you get catched by a melee class while walking on the field?

what mercs seriously need is an ability similar to the WoW warrior heroic leap to allow us to escape,OR a serious look at the talent tree,there are some perks that are completely garbage right now,because it's just not fair having less survivability and less damage than sorcerers and being outclassed in every possible way by the powertech

powertechs are good at doing anything,they can sustain a lot of damage,they have an excellent dps and more important a mobile one,it's impossible to escape from them considering all the gaps closers and all the cc they have

i feel like mercs atm are like the Destruction warlock om TBC,you have a good dps,but you sacrifice the survivability and the mobility that the affliction tree can give to you

Exacly. Someone who knows what there talking about. Pvp isn't all about damage.

All ur little knock backs are useless to my powertech because ill be spammig rail shots against u, no 20sec knock back will help u against a pyro powertech. I'll just grapple and u will not last the next 20secs I swear to you.

And yeah I undertand merc can be good if posiioned right. But is that what u really want out of a class. If so. U don't no how to pvp.

I'll ignore all your horrible grammar again. You're hating on a whole class if you're whining about using the landscape for tactical advantages. Your AC requires the intellect of a three year old with your PvP "rotation." I'm not even hating on it. I liked Arcane so 3 buttons can be fun when you're stomping. The problem is you're saying you'd just use Rail Shot? Yeah, that won't burn me down faster than I can crush a Pyro. Quit making stupid arguments. If you need to grapple then yes, my knockback will be useful.

Edit: Someone who agrees with you knows what they're talking about and everyone else is trolling. With that attitude, I'm out. Can't debate with such blissful ignorance. If THINKING you're superior on a video game floats your boat go right ahead.

Edited by Nikusu

Exacly. Someone who knows what there talking about. Pvp isn't all about damage.

Besides the fact that this conversation went way offtopic when some people started to compare their WoW-PvP-ePeen.

I do agree that PvP is mostly about utility.

You can have all the damage in the world. If you cannot deploy it effectively or only under very special and limited circumstances it´s no good to you. As was pointed out: You do not always have a ledge to stand on. Same goes for the merc: You do not always have idiot opponents who let you cast your power shots/unloads. And since that are bread and butter abilites to the only half viable PvP spec...go figure.

Also the Merc has ONE ability to keep opponents at an arms lenght.

The Powertech gets two abilites to get all close and personal. Jet charge brings you to your target, grapple works the other way around. So what would a Merc do after he got jet charged? Yes AoE knockback. Then the PT uses grapple...and the party begins. That´s just on of many examples.

I want the Merc to stay squishy in close combat. But I want to have the means to a) to defend myself b) deploy damage while beeing on the move so I can do a)

@ Nikusu

His attitude is awefull but he´s 100% right. Nomatter how offensive. That´s the state of affairs.

Edited by Frontplayer

I'll ignore all your horrible grammar again. You're hating on a whole class if you're whining about using the landscape for tactical advantages. Your AC requires the intellect of a three year old with your PvP "rotation." I'm not even hating on it. I liked Arcane so 3 buttons can be fun when you're stomping. The problem is you're saying you'd just use Rail Shot? Yeah, that won't burn me down faster than I can crush a Pyro. Quit making stupid arguments. If you need to grapple then yes, my knockback will be useful.

Edit: Someone who agrees with you knows what they're talking about and everyone else is trolling. With that attitude, I'm out. Can't debate with such blissful ignorance. If THINKING you're superior on a video game floats your boat go right ahead.

My rail hits higher then any move as merc. If u didn't no powertech pyro is all about rails. That's where u seriously failed.

It's not that he agrees. He made a perfect comparasent to locks, that I didn't even think on. U just don't seem to no how important mobility is to pvp. Ur not even ignorent. U just sound like one of those no xped players iv been talking about. I seriously think u need to take a look at what you think makes a class good at pvp. Yes good players can play merc. I'm not trolling that I couldn't play merc right. I'm trolling becuase I faced an ex pvp guild from my server and realised it had no mobility for end game. I didn't want to be stuck with that when rated war games come.

One ability to keep the enemy at arm's length?

15 second Jet Boost, Electro-dart, talented Rocket Punch, Power Surge -> Concussive Missile, Unload snare. Have you guys totally forgotten all those abilities?

I play a 50 Merc. in a competitive PvP guild (we are all ex-WoW arena players, most of us have gotten gladiator in one or more seasons). Mercs are completely fine. Our guild leader is also a Merc (although he plays healer about 50% of the time) I've won 5-6 games just using Jet Boost and Rocket Punch to give my carrier room to breath as we life grip across to the end-goal. We've beaten huttball in under five minutes like this.

Quit your crying and play the bloody game. You aren't getting to 60+ valor complaining on these forums.

15 second Jet Boost, Electro-dart, talented Rocket Punch, Power Surge -> Concussive Missile, Unload snare. Have you guys totally forgotten all those abilities?

I play a 50 Merc. in a competitive PvP guild (we are all ex-WoW arena players, most of us have gotten gladiator in one or more seasons). Mercs are completely fine. Our guild leader is also a Merc (although he plays healer about 50% of the time) I've won 5-6 games just using Jet Boost and Rocket Punch to give my carrier room to breath as we life grip across to the end-goal. We've beaten huttball in under five minutes like this.

Quit your crying and play the bloody game. You aren't getting to 60+ valor complaining on these forums.

Electro Dart? Both have em.

Talented Rocket punch only for Arsenal and I think we are done calling arsenal a PvP spec.

I´m not sure if both have concussive missile. My PT isn´t high enough.

Unload snare ---> same as for talented rocket punch.

If the Merc and the PT get their tricks out of their boxed...in the end the PT wins...by a mile.

and once closed in...spamming flame burst will keep you snared as well...100% chance proc.

Edited by Frontplayer

Fair enough. Can u back that up about being a glad? And so u have a reduce cd on ur aoe knockback. U hot a pathetic rocket punch knockback which they are still in a 4m range to hit you. Then what. Every class can counter them ill just grapple. If u survive long enough to get another big knock back then u would be lucky, but then that's where I would take a lot of damage. But u moving and trying to damage won't drop me. I'll get to you sooner or later. Then your definetly finished don't forget I can use line of sight.

Tell me does casting for ur main move and not have a proper slow give u mobility? Unload slows basicly let's u have a full unload before they get to you. Once that's done, they are in ur face again. But u seem to no what ur talking about. So how would u deal with people tacticly line of sighting you. I can tacticly do that then pop out at any time and have you constantly slowed throughout the fight?.

first the CD on jet boost is 20 seconds not 15

second rocket punch barely keeps the enemy away,only useful to kick someone off from a ledge,power surge and concussive is a nice combo,but is on a 2 min CD,unload snare last 2 seconds and you have to waste 2 talent points just to slow the enemy for 2 frikking seconds

Honestly, I understand those who miss the point and talk about Merc (Arsenal) damage, when we've estabilished that our problem is not lack of damage, but the fact that unless we're being left alone and the enemy decides to stay within our range, we're screwed.

But those who come here and claim we've tons of CC moves and the likes, they're either trolling, or they're powertech who don't want Mercs to get any tricks for some reason, or I really don't know.

Not only our CCs are very limited, a pity compared to what other classe have, mostly ineffective (rocket punch, even talented, only knocks back a few meters. And it's pretty much only available to Arsenal, unless you want a crappy template).

Most other classes get speed boosts, passive speed boosts, grapples/leaps, many of them get them as base abilities and even in both advanced classes.

We don't.

Yes, if you're standing on a ledge and the enemy ignores you, you can kill people. If one enemy jumps on the ledge you can probably jet boost him off the ledge.

But that's ONE arena out of three and doesn't take open world PvP into account.

Now go ahead and claim Merc is uber powerful, I would really love to be able to check how many of you actually pay your Merc as your main and how good you do in PvP.

Now, arena PvP or world PvP in a group that keeps you healed and takes targets off you doesn't count, of course. Any class from any game can survive in PvP if a full group who know what they're doing keeps them alive, but that's not how you judge a class balance.

BH is a sniper without the damage and without the CC immunity simple as that

BH excell at scrub pvp where they can sit back and nuke morons who just run around like retarded monkies, but any range class excells at that, anyone with half a brain can easily shut down a merc of any spec and destroy them

I went to powertech and whill not as OP as snipers and sorcs atleast it is servicable compared to biowares failure of a class mercanery, and guess what bioware wont ever fix this issue because mercs are perfectly fine in pve where a raid boss stands around slaping some tank with his ball sack whill you shoot it with rockets, it doesnt work like that in pvp and so mercs are going to be screwed for most of this games life

reroll whill you can still stomach the game, THIS IS THE TRUTH

Edited by Bejita

we arent trying to make you gimp mercs feel bad we just need bioware to understand this issue, you cant simply put a turret style dps in a game with little to no mobility and CC then NOT give it the best dps in the game, with how bad mercs is right now it should have the best dps in the game

so there have been a lot of threads and posts about how mercenary's 'suck' and how powertechs are much better in pvp and how little damage mercenary's do. I am now regretting taking the mercenary class as i was hoping to d some pvp later in the game. Are mercenary's really as bad as everyone is saying in pvp? and do you think the classes are unbalanced?

Stopp trolling !

Try to play Jedi Guardian/ Sith Jugger ? This class can hardley kill 2 Silver mobs without Dying.....

Most Troopers and Mercs are the only classes who dont wipe 15 times on Classquest bosses. And Some cant even make it passed their classquest bosses..... They are stuck.

Mercenerys are are just plowing through the content together with Troopers. Rest of the classes are just miles away.

Edited by Donnadarco

none of those abilities are enough to keep any class in game off of you, unless you blow all of them at the same time. Rocket punch does not open the gap. Every class has a way to range snare you and darn near keep it up.

Arsenal mercs are complete fodder once focused, even if you have a heal bot. The knockback is good in huttball, thats about it. Any where else, the slow on you and your lack of a slow (standing still to channel a 2 second slow is ridiculous).

Arsenal mercs are not fine and this is not a L2P issue. The damage is sub par, the mobility is laughable the survivability is even worse. You get focused and you are done....the issue is once the people playing just about any class knows you are easy to kill, you start to get focused and there is little you can do.

Mercs need a damage buff, every ability that has a knockback in pvE needs to work in pvp as well. The range should be 40 yards for mercs at minimum and heat cost needs to be reduced by about a 1/3rd.

Mercs do OK if they are not focused, but once focused they are useless, blowing CD's just to survive. Arsenal mercs are easy to train...and that in and of itself makes them broken.

I am not going to even get into councilars who take me from 7.5k to dead inside of a single 1.5 second cast.

If you say arsenal mercs are fine, then you are saying the other classes are OP.

Stopp trolling !

Try to play Jedi Guardian/ Sith Jugger ? This class can hardley kill 2 Silver mobs without Dying.....

Most Troopers and Mercs are the only classes who dont wipe 15 times on Classquest bosses. And Some cant even make it passed their classquest bosses..... They are stuck.

Mercenerys are are just plowing through the content together with Troopers. Rest of the classes are just miles away.

use a healer...If I did not use mako, my healer exclusively, I could not have done any of the bosses, ZERO.

Most people not clearing content are not using their healer..ALSO, mercs leveling do a lot of damage, that damage just some how seems to go away at 50. As if we dont scale with gear at all.

ALSO, I never once killed 2 silver mobs on me...not a single time. Even with a healer

Edited by Raideen

I posted a thread before noticing this one, so I'll just copy paste what I said in my thread in here in case this thread continues for a long time. Also sorry about not checking before making a post.

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Mercenary class gets seriously shafted in this game, especially in PvP? I've been comparing the skills with other classes and even to those of the Powertech, and it just seems everyone else gets the better deal.

To begin with, our party skill feels like the most useless of all four. A boost of 5% in endurance is hardly noticeable in your HP, while other people get that 5% in something you'd want like total damage, main stat, or crit.

Then there's some major additions to similar skills Sorcerers have. For example their channel skill Force Lightning adds 50% speed reduction without the requirement of a talent. Their 4 second stun Electrocute also has some added damage to it that Electrodart doesn't. Then there's Force Storm which adds a slow affect over the usual Death from Above trait. All this and we don't even get an interrupt either which is not only important for PvP, but also Heroic Modes. As it stands, the only worthwhile tree for Merc seems to be Healing, and even then, one of the talents Cure Mind, which pretty much does the same thing as a Sorcerer's Sith Purity, loses out again in the Sith bonus of also healing your target at the same time.

A lot of these would not bother me if I had chosen Powertech over the Merc, who seem to receive a lot more useful skills and talents. A short CD interrupt, 15% passive movement bonus, 15 seconds of 25% additional crit (Explosive Fuel), and over-powered talents such as a guaranteed 8 heat vented (Prototype Cylinder Ventilation), 8 second immunity to roots and stuns plus 30% more movement speed (Hydraulic Overrides), 3 second Grapple snare (No Escape), 30m charge/interrupt/root (Jet Charge) and added speed afterward (Jet Speed), along with the lower heat cost on the majority of their moves basically makes them dominate in everything they do. And seeing as how you can't really kite in this game, range is not even an issue, since it's easy to get to the 4-10m range with all your added speed plus the fact that caster's best skills require you to stand still.

The only suggestions I can think of to fix the skill problem with Mercenaries is to make their class focus more on kiting by allowing them to cast and channel while moving. This way you can make some room after an ambush from a stealth unit that knocks you down and run away firing Unload, making the added 2 second slow from the talent worthwhile. It would also lessen the mass interrupting on your cast shots. All the other classes have their gimmick, such as Warrior types jumping at you, and Agents taking cover or stealthing, so this would seem fair as a Mercenary boon. Another good idea would be if the talent Afterburners instead made one of your missiles knock the enemy back instead of relying on a close range Rocket Punch. Slows should also last longer, considering that other classes can apply them for up to 8 seconds or more. The Hunter class in World of Warcraft was done pretty well in the kiting department in this respect, and for a game that seems like a near replica of WoW, you might as well follow in those footsteps on this matter as well.

I'm sure I'm leaving other things that seem unfair out, so feel free to add anything I overlooked. If nothing is changed, I fear I'm going to end up forever quitting on my Mercenary and focusing on alternate characters instead. I chose the class simply because I love dual-wielding in everything, and it would be a shame to shun such a cool looking class that could've had a lot more potential, fun factor and usefulness. If you agree with me, then please keep bumping this up, so hopefully Bioware will notice our pleas and do something about it.

For PvE, I don't see any problem at all: The mercenary simply combines a very high damage output combined with very good heat management.

For PvP, I'm much more sceptical though: True, the damage output is fairly high here as well, and if I want to, I can get to the top 3 of the damage chart fairly easily: E.g. in Hutball, you can simply position yourself on a higher platform, and spam your standard damage rotation. However, while the damage output is fairly high, the actual impact of this damage output is very limited: As soon as an opponent is under 50% health, he can easily break line of sight or run out of range. We have very little ranged CC to stop the target from doing that, and because we have almost zero survivablility against multiple targets, jumping down to finish the target would be foolish... so I find myself switching to the next target and spam my damage rotation again, until that target is also out of range/sight. As a result, I frequently end up in the top regions of the damage ranking, but I still feel the actual impact of that damage output is very limited indeed.

Another PvP-issue: Other classes can easily reach a damage output as high as ours, but have other advantages as well: A Sorcerer/Sage has very high damage output, but also much more effective crowd control, better survivability (the damage Shield is usually a lot more effective than the Mercenary's heavy armor), and more mobility.

none of those abilities are enough to keep any class in game off of you, unless you blow all of them at the same time. Rocket punch does not open the gap. Every class has a way to range snare you and darn near keep it up.

You missed the point that he mentioned talented rocket punch. How about you check talent tree and count all those arsenal talents that add to chots snare effects or gaping efects?

All those who QQ that merc can't compete, how about you try harder and actually look at other shots. Yes, as a merc i can't compete against 2-3 enemies ganking me alone but 1 vs 1 I can't see why there has to be a problem for me to win that pvp duel. If i can't get away, i just load as fast as i can all my shots just to outdamage him. Yes, he can interrupt some shots but that's why you need to be aware of other options if that happens. There is only few moments when i die in pvp arenas, when enemy just gank me in group. I almost never die when i am 1 vs 1 against someone. Most of the time i outdamage him and they start to run away from me. There is however one problem, melee running around me. That's the problem of disposition against him and having abilities that needs to be cast over time not instant. That's when i just run away and shoot all my instant abilities and that's when i use heat venting to let me continue do damage because instant cast are real heat generators.

Also as arsenal merc if you actually talent yourself for pvp i counted at least 5 CC/snare/gap providing abilities so don't say we don't have them.

I might add a Pyrotech specific problem:

The main mechanics regarding railshot reset:

the Merc has 30% chance on power shot, the PT 30% on flame burst.

Power Shot:

- 1,5sec cast time

- 25 heat

- easy to push back

Flame Burst:

- instant cast

- 16 heat

Why do I not want to use Power Shot in PvP?

1. I have to stand still

2. It can be pushed back a lot

3. It has very high heat costs compared to only 30% reset chance