Abilities doing less damage than indicated by tooltip

Bropuff

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and has an explanation for it if possible.

For example, I'm lvl 35 right now and my Lightning Strike's tooltip says it does around 400 damage minimum. However, when using it on any type of mob, it is only doing around 360 damage non-crit.

My basic understanding is that whatever number is displayed in a tooltip is more of a base damage value and can only increase due to willpower + power etc when actually used on a mob.

Is there some kind of resistance stat in play here or is there something else I'm missing entirely?

The damage is being reduced by the targets defenses, which gives damage reduction. Only abilities that specifically say they cause "internal damage" will bypass defenses.

Technically it's their armor, not defense (defense is avoidance). Also, Elemental damage will bypass armor. Most mobs have 10-15% reduction from armor, and we think at this point that bosses have about 27%.

Technically it's their armor, not defense (defense is avoidance). Also, Elemental damage will bypass armor. Most mobs have 10-15% reduction from armor, and we think at this point that bosses have about 27%.

When I said defenses I was referring to total defense of the target. Just like the defense section of your character. "Armor" reduces damage from kinetic and energy attacks, "Damage Reduction" passively reduces damage from any of the 4 damage types, and "Defense Chance" is the chance to avoid incoming damage and includes resistance.

Thanks for the info about the estimated current reduction values.

When I said defenses I was referring to total defense of the target. Just like the defense section of your character. "Armor" reduces damage from kinetic and energy attacks, "Damage Reduction" passively reduces damage from any of the 4 damage types, and "Defense Chance" is the chance to avoid incoming damage and includes resistance.

Granted, and I figured that was what you meant. I just wanted to avoid confusing anyone, since Defense (actually, frankly, defensive stats in general) works rather differently in this game than other popular ones recently.

Granted, and I figured that was what you meant. I just wanted to avoid confusing anyone, since Defense (actually, frankly, defensive stats in general) works rather differently in this game than other popular ones recently.

Yes, the defensive stats are quite different from some other recent games and can easily confuse, good call. :D