There's a valid reason why people are upset...

Esaru

You mistake me. I was not indicating that you were self-important, I was stating that the self-important types will be influential in the development of the game over the coming years.

Asking you to gnaw on it is a request to have it as food for thought. Nothing overtly insulting.

--

Apologies. I'm simply tired, and annoyed with the audacity of the majority of the posts. I was ready to jump to a conclusion.

I'm not a big poster, or on a constant forum watch. Only after so long of having to deal with the nonsense I've read on these boards do I realize that I'm doomed to have to deal with these types. You know..the kids that get trophies for losing and whatnot, and can't handle when things aren't just given to them and them only.

I miss my eq1 community =( Things where so much nicer when us gamers had to pretty much hide in the closet before online gaming became so mainstream.

Back in my day we had to....

Edited by Mallagant

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies. I'm simply tired, and annoyed with the audacity of the majority of the posts. I was ready to jump to a conclusion.

I'm not a big poster, or on a constant forum watch. Only after so long of having to deal with the nonsense I've read on these boards do I realize that I'm doomed to have to deal with these types. You know..the kids that get trophies for losing and whatnot, and can't handle when things aren't just given to them and them only.

I miss my eq1 community =( Things where so much nicer when us gamers had to pretty much hide in the closet before online gaming became so mainstream.

No doubt. While I was never in EQ, I did a bit of time with UO.... and I still recall my stuff being taken.

I can't imagine just one percent of these pantywaists would last a day in EVE online. They'd be complaining to CCP that their ship got dun blown up, and CCP would reply, "So, why is this our problem? I mean, other than we're the ones that blowed up your ship, that is."

--

Chained-Fei

Previously of "Xenosaga" forums

Most of my rage is largely from the handling of this. It is a bad way to start. A lot of people remember when Blizzard first pushed WoW. The servers were unstable and overpopulated, they had to roll out hardware and you had to convince your friend to leave his 4 8-slot bags of Peacebloom on his level 15 Priest to reroll on a lighter server that was pushed the second day of launch.

There were mea culpas, pro-rated time for extended server downtime. There was humility involved. Now as the largest MMO in the world, there's none of that (especially after Activision's excised Blizzard's soul and replaced it with a clockwork heart of solid gold)... This is a pretty large undertaking by Bioware and its not like any of their other games. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KOTOR... those were like getting ready for the prom. A lot of effort for one magical night. An MMO is like a wedding... A lot of effort for a long term relationship. If they're already sticking it to you on the prenup to you before the "I Do's", it's a bad precedence to set. It shows a pattern of unapologetic behavior and bull that's going to follow this game through its gaffes.

Sadly, SWTOR is going to need every advantage it can get and crossing your base before they even get a chance to invest in the game is a very bad prediction of what things will be like in the long haul.

It's not because of staggered access. We all knew it was going to be like this. We just didn't know how. And now that we're seeing how it's playing out, it's not surprising people are angry.

Bioware finished their fifth wave of invites at 2pm today. Not only is this obscenely early, but none of the servers are even close to being near any sort of 'stress test' point. 95% of them are light and standard.

THIS is why people are mad. Again, not because it's staggered access - um hello, we knew that already. It's because Bioware simply did not do enough to bring in as many people as they could. Instead they've pussyfooted around and are playing it WAY too safe in my opinion. The servers right now are practically DEAD because there's not enough people there. This potentially bodes that the whole head-start process is going to be extremely slow-going, with the possibility of not even having everyone in by release. I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't rub people the right way. There's no reason it should

So I am sure I am going to get a few flames from my post, so save them. I have an idea of what you are going to say so keep it to yourself.

Personally I was one who got early access today. I am pretty sure I was in the first wave. I love that they staggered people in and no more than they did. I never had to compete for quest items or wait for a respawn. BioWare is rewarding those who ordered earlier by letting them play without the masses. I got my main up to level 17 today in about 7 hours of gameplay. When I was on Coruscant there was all of 21 players there when I first arrived, and only 1 on Taris when I logged off.

No matter what BioWare did people would be upset. It doesn't matter if they let too many or to few in. In one weeks time the servers will be flooded and we will all be sitting in que waiting to play.

I'm surprised people saw some sense in the OP.

Because all i see is or were... complainers Moaning about Complainers. and PRETENDING not to Feel So bothered about it.

And you're just making an observation, I'm sure. :) I'm afraid its quite impossible to take the high ground when pointing out something like that without inducing quite a bit of irony.

If Bioware released a tentative schedule on the waves and who was in them I can guarantee the complaining wouldn't be half as bad. People just want to know what's happening.

We have found our one rightgious man. Information is power, and tends to shut up the

complainers. Still a day to go to when everyone originally thought that early access

was going to start. Have patience my young Padawan.

:cool:

I redeemed my code in July and did not get early access :mad:.... come on!! many knew that if you got yours later than mid August that first day access might not be a possibility and by many reports pre-orders sales were actually pretty light in the July with sales picking up in September. But yes I really don't understand stopping so early with five waves should have been more like 8 to 10.....sounds more like they don't really have faith in there own product :(

Really not all that bothered Sak. Bored, and anxious is more like it. I have off till January, so I have plenty of time to play. I scheduled my time properly. Until I get my email, I still have my RIFT, or can finish up watchin heroes on netflix, or a million other things.

My concern isn't really the posts...it's the fact that from the time i log in, till the time I log out, I'm going to have to deal with the people that made said posts.

You know what I'm talkin about to..don't act like you don't!! In 7 days your ignore window will be filled up just like mine will, and it STILL won't be enough.

It's not because of staggered access. We all knew it was going to be like this. We just didn't know how. And now that we're seeing how it's playing out, it's not surprising people are angry.

Bioware finished their fifth wave of invites at 2pm today. Not only is this obscenely early, but none of the servers are even close to being near any sort of 'stress test' point. 95% of them are light and standard.

THIS is why people are mad. Again, not because it's staggered access - um hello, we knew that already. It's because Bioware simply did not do enough to bring in as many people as they could. Instead they've pussyfooted around and are playing it WAY too safe in my opinion. The servers right now are practically DEAD because there's not enough people there. This potentially bodes that the whole head-start process is going to be extremely slow-going, with the possibility of not even having everyone in by release. I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't rub people the right way. There's no reason it should

You obviously haven't read their response let me quote it for you: ''Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.''

Edited by PalawaJoko

Glad I was able to save this post because the thread was deleted. Stating that this topic is already being discussed here.

Originally Posted by Lieam

I thought I would offer yet another viewpoint.

You may also want to look at it this way. In a sense, people are being rewarded early access by pre-ordering a game that was still in development. What's the opposite of rewarding someone? Punishing someone. While not a shrink, I promise you that many people feel they are being punished for being cautious to pre-order. In this economy and with so many failed MMOs, you can't blame people for not wanting to pre-order ASAP.

How are people being punished by pre-ordering late? They get to play the game on the RELEASE DATE. The people who pre-ordered are being rewarded, those that didn't or waited too long just aren't getting the reward.

Essentially what you are saying is if we all showed up to a race and 1st, 2nd, adn 3rd place got a trophy for being first, and you were 500th you should still get a trophy. Come on, grow up! See you on launch day.

So I am sure I am going to get a few flames from my post, so save them. I have an idea of what you are going to say so keep it to yourself.

Personally I was one who got early access today. I am pretty sure I was in the first wave. I love that they staggered people in and no more than they did. I never had to compete for quest items or wait for a respawn. BioWare is rewarding those who ordered earlier by letting them play without the masses. I got my main up to level 17 today in about 7 hours of gameplay. When I was on Coruscant there was all of 21 players there when I first arrived, and only 1 on Taris when I logged off.

No matter what BioWare did people would be upset. It doesn't matter if they let too many or to few in. In one weeks time the servers will be flooded and we will all be sitting in que waiting to play.

I'm not going to flame you. In fact I am on the fence on this issue. I do want to point out one word in your post, "rewarding". As I stated in another post, whats the opposite of reward? Punish. Those that aren't playing feel as though they are being punished for not acting fast enough. Why is this an issue? Because we weren't even told how we would be rewarded or punished till a month or so back.

they arent rewarding you. stop dreaming. if they were going to reward anyone it would have been the beta testers who actually filled out forms and gave feedback .. maybe thats you .. w/e

this was a marketing ploy. they created artificial demand with scare tactics that you might not get in, and now they are sticking to it.

which would be fine .. except they have audacity to tell us to sit around and wait for an undisclosed amount of time instead of manning up, and making a promise and then working their asses off to keep that promise. no .. instead they stop rolling invites for 18 hours leaving what most be the most desolate starting areas the game will see for the next year or so.

all for "stress test" apparently .. though in the same post they talk about that they explicitly say it's not a stress test ... and even then ... they've had 3+ weeks since the last stress test to do another one. why the crap would any sane company call something a release and then say its not a stress test, but they aren't going to open any more servers till they know they can handle the stess?

and this kind of lawyer jibberish is ok with you ppl?

Edited by azmundai

All i can say it for all you people who feel entitled to play this game and say they are never gona play this game..good for me. Never wanted kids like you to play this game anyway, only thing you can do is whine and moan about things. Trash of the mmorpg's.

All i can say it for all you people who feel entitled to play this game and say they are never gona play this game..good for me. Never wanted kids like you to play this game anyway, only thing you can do is whine and moan about things. Trash of the mmorpg's.

we dont feel entitled to play the game as much as we feel entitled for the company we have given good money to, to have the balls to set a date, tell us when we can play, and then do their best to keep that promise.

though imo this is a fail tactic .. but it was a known tactic so w/e

I thought I would offer yet another viewpoint.

You may also want to look at it this way. In a sense, people are being rewarded early access by pre-ordering a game that was still in development. What's the opposite of rewarding someone? Punishing someone. While not a shrink, I promise you that many people feel they are being punished for being cautious to pre-order. In this economy and with so many failed MMOs, you can't blame people for not wanting to pre-order ASAP.

This.

It's amazing how much easier it is to agree with people who can lodge their complaints in a logical manner. People have every right to be angry at how the release was carried out. There was no notification when pre-orders opened up that this would occur.

People also make other good points: Part of the fun in a new MMO is being able to log in right at release. Sure, the problems sometimes are overwhelming, but being there as you see everyone else pop up and doing things with people you hardly know is just fun. Instead, the way Bioware has decided to launch this game has left a majority of players sitting around on the forums, with nothing better to do but to seethe in their frustration.

While the few extra levels won't ultimately matter, it's the MMO experience that Bioware is taking away from the many who did not get to play from Day 1, as Day 1 will never occur again, even should new servers be opened. Playing on Day 1 in a new MMO is incredible, and I feel bad for anyone who doesn't get to experience it, especially those who missed out on Day 1 by not being able to pre-order the first week it was announced. There are many who did not and could not, yet they have been waiting far longer for this game than anyone else.

Also, there are many people who are attached to their character names. I can understand the need for unique names (even if I do believe the naming conventions in this game are archaic), but sometimes people enjoy various twists on their own names. I was one of the first people to sign up for the forums (I later switched accounts because the name I went with wasn't very ... good), but by then my normal forum name had already been taken. Fair enough, if I had equal opportunity to claim it. However, because of the way many people are behaving, this excludes a lot of people from that opportunity when they do finally log in game.

Does this all sound like jealousy? Sure, but as soon as the servers go up, everyone that has pre-ordered the game is a paying customer. There should be no show of favoritism regardless of what Bioware feels is "fair" and conducive towards a stable launch. I would rather have a launch riddled with crashes than one that leaves people sitting around twiddling their thumbs, because it just negates the purpose behind a MMO community. Not properly informing customers beforehand is a really shot in the face by Bioware and is something I did not expect from a company that consistently toots their concern over the players. By sheer volume of complaints, I have to say that they have shown less than adequate concern.

How are people being punished by pre-ordering late? They get to play the game on the RELEASE DATE. The people who pre-ordered are being rewarded, those that didn't or waited too long just aren't getting the reward.

Essentially what you are saying is if we all showed up to a race and 1st, 2nd, adn 3rd place got a trophy for being first, and you were 500th you should still get a trophy. Come on, grow up! See you on launch day.

There is a logical fallacy in your analogy. The difference is that the person who got 500th had an equal opportunity to get first, as they both started the race at the same time. Here, people who did not pre-order first are, in essence, being "punished" by making them wait indefinitely and without any further word on when they may potentially get in.

There is a logical fallacy in your analogy. The difference is that the person who got 500th had an equal opportunity to get first, as they both started the race at the same time. Here, people who did not pre-order first are, in essence, being "punished" by making them wait indefinitely and without any further word on when they may potentially get in.

Yeah, you're going to be waiting "indefinitely".

They give significant and persistant notice for waves of invites.

It's really unfair to ask, "I preordered X, so when is Y wave being sent?" The technical term is: petulant.

You're not being punished. Launch is in 7 days, as it was, as it will be.