The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Your thoughts on BH: Powertech.

TheGSOShow

So, I have a Powertech at level 32 right now. I'm loving the quest line and it's keeping me very entertained. I'm specced into "Advanced Prototype" since I changed jobs and to me, it feels like the class in general is really underpowered. Heat management is a pain and we actually never use our weapons when fighting except for a couple of abilities.

A few talents in the Advanced Prototype tree are pretty much useless. Pnuematic Boots is supposed to give 15% movement speed increase while High Energy Gas Cylinder is active... and it doesn't. And even if it does, I don't see it. It feels like the movement speed is normal even when I activate another cylinder.

Now, I haven't gotten this far but I hear that Kolto Vents is also useless since it'll only heal you for about 800 health or so over 7 seconds. Which isn't enough because of the current state of the game (and it being brand new) is burst. You lose more health than you could regain after the 7 seconds are up.

I'm not sure about the other trees but I know that Advanced Prototype is mainly focused on standing toe-to-toe with melee, but BHs are getting pooped on by anything that can get within melee range. We can't survive long enough in melee because our damage is pretty underwhelming. Flamethrower is a really nice for burst damage but in PVP, I feel like it's useless unless a target is stunned. People usually kite it or interrupt it. I feel like it should be a ability that can be channeled while moving.

There are some big crits here and there, but in the end, it just seems so lackluster.

Thoughts?

If you're not doing well at pvp, don't blame the class. Logically, since we're both playing AP powertech then we should both be having a similar pvp experience, but this isn't the case. I feel capable for player v player combat. I often at the top of the boards in kills as well as damage. But this isn't the case for you when it could be. Why?

Now, whether or not its lack luster we can debate, but its certainly capable of doing well pvp.

Edited by Sowwy

If you're not doing well at pvp, don't blame the class. Logically, since we're both playing AP powertech then we should both be having a similar pvp experience, but this isn't the case. I feel capable for player v player combat. I often at the top of the boards in kills as well as damage. But this isn't the case for you when it could be. Why?

Now, whether or not its lack luster we can debate, but its certainly capable of doing well pvp.

Adv Proto isn't helpless, and a good player can do nice things with it. It is lackluster however. The best thing going for the spec is Hydraulic Overrides, and that talent is pretty lame (espescially if you consider that it is that talent that took away Jet Charge and moved it up to 21 pt ST. Lame move BW).

If you're doing well with Adv Proto I'd really recommend you give Pyro a shot. You will do significantly better and become a battlefield terror after only a couple of "adjustment WZs" to get used to the changes. Adv Proto feels really hamstrung being stuck at such close range with nothing but buggy Grapple to rely on, they don't even give you a damn snare. You can stomp bads all day, but you could do that without talent points.

My biggest beef with a flat Adv Proto build however has to do with PvE dps. When engaging a boss all of the other Melee classes have Leaps or stealth or sprints and can close to engagement distance quickly and stylishly, leaving the PT's to foot slog it all the way up. Pyro isn't so bad because it has access to TD, Incin, and Rail Shot while closing. Adv Proto is stuck with maybe a Rail Shot (if someone else puts a DoT up) or just blazing away with their peashooter.

That first 6 seconds of combat might not seem too bad, but it is a situation that repeats every time there is a Knockback, AoE, or environmental hazard to avoid. The spec feels really lame in any sort of PvE dps scenario compared to Pyro or any of the other Melee DPS I've played.

This is something a lot of people playing this game can't seem to grasp.

The majority of the time someone is complaining it's because they, themselves, are not playing their chosen class to its fullest.

I recommend watching as many PVP videos as you can. You can learn even from the ones doing nothing but farming newbies.

Edited by Faolon

Yeah I couldn't disagree more with OP. I'm playing an ST/pyro hybrid and I'm rolling face. So many awesome tactical options, crazy mitigation and heavy damage. I come out of most warzones with 9-12 medals.

ST/Pyro is the most fun spec we have. Hands down. Full Pyro is nice too.

Don't take my last post wrong. I'm happy enough with the class as a whole (although I'd still like to see Grapple and Jet Charge swapped to have more reliable mobility and gap closing in PvP and PvE for all specs), but I think Adv Proto is really lame.

Very disappointed because it was the spec I was most looking forward to at launch. I really like Retractable Blade, Immolate is ok but I'd rather see another blade attack there than more fire personally. Animations and attacks aside however, Adv Proto just doesn't perform as well and isn't nearly as fun as any of the other specs I've tried.

Our talent trees are a little lame, but that is a consequence of them being changed and swapped around so much in the last leg of beta. My biggest complaint here is that Incin and Ret Blade are practically the same damn talent. 18 second DoT abilities with small front end. One is ranged and costs a bit more, the other is Melee and has a neat animation. The front end on Ret Blade is a bit higher, but Incin is pure elemental so the damage is appoximately the same. It really sucks to switch between the dps specs and get the exact same damn 11 point ability practically. It is unimaginative and makes for a less varied gameplay experience.

Overall however, the class plays well, the baseline abilities are well made and animated for the most part, and the class feels a hell of a lot better than it's Trooper counterpart because of it imo. I still have my complaints, but we're 2 weeks i to launch on a class that was restructured heavily not long ago, PTs are really solid when you take the situation into consideration.

Yeah I'm playing AP right now and loving it. Im only 31 but I think we have incredible utility a very balanced spec. I love the whole concept of being a mid range dps because I don't have to go heads up with true melee classes and can kite them fairly well with 15% movement speed plus another 30% with over ride on a 30 sec cooldown. At the same time we can close the distance on casters with grapple etc. 6 second cd on interrupt.

powertech as a whole is beautiful, there is so much variation in specs and have seen a number hybrids I might have to try this st/pt and if we are a little lackluster then perfect I will be that much better when we get buffed

Yeah I couldn't disagree more with OP. I'm playing an ST/pyro hybrid and I'm rolling face. So many awesome tactical options, crazy mitigation and heavy damage. I come out of most warzones with 9-12 medals.

Quick question. For the ST/Pyro hybrid build, what stats do you focus on your gear?

My only gripe with PVP is you can be in a game with level 50s as a 32 or even in a match against 15s...I can molest a 15 but a 50 has armor for days or Hit Points that destroy my armor VERY quickly...I assume it goes by PVP rank not your level. But They really should have a level based system for it. Try staying OUT of the fight sticking to areas where your not going to take on guys like you would if you had a healer with you unless you roll with someone. I like to roll with my Merc friend who heals me while Ideal damage... I tend to go 20+ in kills and 100k + in damage after figuring huttball out. Before I learned to keep my *** away from 50s and 40s and to stick to death from above into crowds, and watching your heat when shooting missiles...also use your grapple if you pull the ball carrier off his path into a fire pit its VERY effective. Also pulling them into the bottom area helps the team gang up on them. Also try rolling with another teammate when possible to get the buffs they use

My only gripe with PVP is you can be in a game with level 50s as a 32 or even in a match against 15s...I can molest a 15 but a 50 has armor for days or Hit Points that destroy my armor VERY quickly...I assume it goes by PVP rank not your level. But They really should have a level based system for it. Try staying OUT of the fight sticking to areas where your not going to take on guys like you would if you had a healer with you unless you roll with someone. I like to roll with my Merc friend who heals me while Ideal damage... I tend to go 20+ in kills and 100k + in damage after figuring huttball out. Before I learned to keep my *** away from 50s and 40s and to stick to death from above into crowds, and watching your heat when shooting missiles...also use your grapple if you pull the ball carrier off his path into a fire pit its VERY effective. Also pulling them into the bottom area helps the team gang up on them. Also try rolling with another teammate when possible to get the buffs they use

You can be matched up against anyone. Has nothing to do with experience level or valor level. The bolster system works incredibly well mechanically, most of your core skills are given fairly early, and most talent points are pretty much filler so it isn't that big of a deal. There are humps where certain classes and specs get significantly better, but it has more to do with gaining a new ability through the talent trees and again isn't that big of a dea.

Until 50. Then gear makes significant jumps and it sort of pisses all over the bolster system and everyone who isn't at least in their 40's.

Ideally, once everyone gets leveling up they'll institute brackets. I don't think this game needs a bracket every 5 levels or anything silly like that, I'd rather ques be short universally. We need a bracket just for us 50's or maybe 40+, I think everyone below that is just fine skirmishing around together without having any huge complaints about the system.

We'll see how it works out. I'm at the top now and steamrolling 15's all day would make me just as bored as it would make them frustrated so I hope they put in brackets or matchmaking of some sort. It'll probably be necessary if they intend on keeping their numbers up.

Quick question. For the ST/Pyro hybrid build, what stats do you focus on your gear?

You can either build it like a brick or like a cannon. If you build for defense you'll still have decent damage. Build for damage and you'll still have decent defense (and still have Guard, which can help a lot in some games).

I've fiddled with both and been satisfied. Not sure which way is better yet, but they are certainly very different. I would say I have more fun and more success being built damage, but my damage gear is better than my tank gear. My opinion is that I wouldn't bother building it for defense until you can build it damn solid, don't bother building a wall until you can build the whole fortress.