MMO hating & addiction, a love story

Vlaxitov

For what other reason would someone continuously rage on a forum of whatever game if it weren't for the obvious. They are likely addicted to online games and if you've ever been addicted to anything, you know there is no such thing as getting enough or being satisfied. An addiction has no tolerance nor patience. It doesen't know logic, priorities, or respect.

When you're addicted to online games, nothing about addiction changes. No game maker will live up to your expectations just like no "spice" dealer would. You will never be able to get enough. We often see forum posters who are addicted to online games fondly reminisce about their first online games or when they lost their mmo virginity. Whatever it is that got you addicted to mmos to begin with is never coming back, likely not even to visit.

How do I know?, because I've struggled with it in myself in my own life. My first mmo was Anarchy Online but my online gaming addiction is really attributed to diablo 2. I relate to my time with diablo 2 as bordering on a gambling addiction. Anarchy Online was more of a time investment. I tried SWG and didn't like it from day one. Then WoW came in offering time investment combined with catering to my gambling impulse to seal the deal. I played WoW off and on excessively up to WOTLK and then decided to never go back to it no matter how inclined I was to return.

I tried just about every mmo in the meantime. Before hoping over to a new mmo or back to an older one, I usually felt inclined to leave that dramatic "this is whats wrong with your game" post on their forums. Rift was the first mmo I've tried since my attitude adjustment. Though Rift inevitably failed to meet my insatiable entertainment expectations, I spared Trion my usual farewell service and just moved on, way before this game launched I'll add. You see, becoming aware of my issue made me think of why I never complained about console games to anyone who would listen before online games. Simply, I didn't have the issue then.

I'm still addicted to online games but I'm no longer in denial. That has changed my perspective a great deal. It has made me alot happier and more productive in my real life. So the point in this dreadful post is a bit of advice to those who care to listen. If a game doesen't meet your expectations or isn't everything you hoped it to be then don't go away mad, just go away. I know from experience that you will likely end up much happier by doing so.

Before some of you flame and I'm sure some of you will, take a minute to consider why. Is it because something I said struck a nerve? Might you have some issues you need to work on?

Best Regards,

Tsal

Edited by Vlaxitov

yeah i feel ya, i went throught the same thing in WoW.

as a matter of fact i just canceled my subscription on this game....=/

sometimes if you just can't moderate it you are better off leaving it alone. my friend tells me to play less, but paying for something i won't use substantially doesn't make sense to me =[

ah well maybe one day....

its pretty simple, at the end, when you dont feel entertained and amazed in a game you leave it for another one, if not, you stay, all the complains and lovings on the forums are meaningless in that way.

as for me ill stay here atm and see how the future content arrives, if its cool ill stay, if not i will surely leave for diablo 3 or something like that, no drama or anithing, just silent quitting.

Edited by Stormag