Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This is the end?

easeyway

18 hours ago, easeyway said:

Why are we even here, just to suffer?

6 months off, come back, do an hour worth of content without voiceover...That's that? This is an MMO?

The other mmo I play isn't getting a new story update for about 9 months lol, a lot of people are shocked but I'm just sitting here thinking "what, why are people upset by this?" 

There are other things to do in game aside from the story

The end already happened when this game changed company. Currently we are in soft maintenance mode  IMO.

Why am i still here? Because its my favorite game, i still love it too much. Whatever new content they throw to us its fine by me, i already accepted its current state.

But as SWTOR central said i'm gonna stay here until the servers go down.

However i don't thilnk server will go down anytime soon they can last until 2030 easily, i think it is more probable they stop generating new content before that happens.

Edited by psikofunkster

You realize that cinema quality, fully voice content is the longest and most expensive to make right?

I'd rather they focus on making a great multiplayer video game for all of their short term content.  The fully voiced stuff can come every few years.  No VO is way better than bad VO, we need to be realistic with our expectations.

The initial class stories cost in the hundreds of millions to make, that is not budget they work with (or the manpower).

Edited by Diamaht
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Diamaht said:

You realize that cinema quality, fully voice content is the longest and most expensive to make right?

I'd rather they focus on making a great multiplayer video game for all of their short term content.  The fully voiced stuff can come every few years.  No VO is way better than bad VO, we need to be realistic with our expectations.

The initial class stories cost in the hundreds of millions to make, that is not budget they work with (or the manpower).

The initial class stories cost hundreds of millions to make because there was no GAME yet, now with a fully developed game with tons of planets untapped with potential, animations that already made and voice actors already established all they have to do is write a story, create a scene with the tools that already exist, and pay the voice actors to voice over the characters. The cost of which would be a fraction.

3 hours ago, astrogold said:

The initial class stories cost hundreds of millions to make because there was no GAME yet, now with a fully developed game with tons of planets untapped with potential, animations that already made and voice actors already established all they have to do is write a story, create a scene with the tools that already exist, and pay the voice actors to voice over the characters. The cost of which would be a fraction.

You are sort of missing the point there.  Making new content, like dungeons and such could be made a lot less expensive if you have a lot of preexisting assets.  Making a new cutscene is the opposite, you are making entirely new assets each time.  Sure you will have some backgrounds and other preexisting art but you still have to write, produce, choreograph and record everything new with a new trailer or cutscene.  Then you have to spend tons of time in post production gluing it all together and fixing/re-shooting things that don't work. 

You also have to pay people, including the voice actors, directors etc, to come in and make the brand new content.  I don't pretend to be an expert but even I can tell you that making movies (even animated ones) with high production value is enormously expensive and time consuming.

Games with high production value cutscenes and voice overs are exponentially more expensive than games without, just compare reported budgets.  And, if we are being honest, often times wind up with far less depth to their gameplay than those games without it.

I get that cut scenes are "what we do here" but we need to be far more realistic in our expectations of what can be done in a short amount of time.  I'd much rather see the video game itself get shored up for now, with a much larger story block down the road.

Edited by Diamaht
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Diamaht said:

ESO gets a fully voiced expansion every year. Just saying... 🤔🤔

24 minutes ago, WarmasterVandred said:

ESO gets a fully voiced expansion every year. Just saying... 🤔🤔

This is misleading (at best) and depends on how you define "fully voiced" in a game. ESO does not and never has had Player Character voice acting. ESO's NPC voice acting is comparable to what we observe in SWTOR, even since 7.3. Moreover, its extended cutscene cinematics are minimal, particulalry compared to SWTOR. They usually amount to a 15 second death scene when you kill one of the big baddies.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
Stupid Typos!
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 5:24 PM, easeyway said:

Why are we even here, just to suffer?

6 months off, come back, do an hour worth of content without voiceover...That's that? This is an MMO?

your here so they can take your money

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.