Can someone explain the relic limit on Ossus to me?

So a little context: I typically play SWTOR like a solo RPG. It took me years to even do solo story flashpoints, because I didn't realize I COULD solo FPs. But I don't do heroics, I don't do world bosses, I'm not a completionist so I haven't touched a ton of stuff like the Rakghoul event or Starfighter, I just wanna experience the story.

HOWEVERRRRRRRRRR

For ages I'd been frustrated the cosmetics available to me as a solo player who doesn't grind anything were all kinda.....lackluster. And I'm not swimming in IRL money, so I don't have the ability to just drop oodles and oodles on CM stuff.

But last week I discovered that the Ruhnuk, Ossus, and Iokath rep vendors all had armor sets I really like the look of that I can mix and match with existing stuff to make my characters actually look pretty spiffy. So I started doing those Rep grinds. Cue the usual frustrations with weekly caps everyone has. But when it comes to Ossus.....

So I get *why* they have weekly caps, even if I disagree, but with Ruhnuk and Iokath, once you hit that limit, the relics just get dropped in your inventory and locked from use till the weekly reset. But Ossus has a cap on not just the rep, but the relics themselves, and it is EFFING TINY. Legit, 2 full runs of dailies plus 1 mission from the third day's run, and I hit the relic cap, and still had about 8k left on the weekly cap of rep itself because the relics also give about half the rep of relics from the other planets....like that is gonna be an *insane* grind. 2+ months if my off the top of my head math going by how it takes 5 weeks to max rep everywhere else, is correct.

I get they wanna force EnGaGeMeNt and that rep has an inherent grind, but this just seems actively *cruel* and backwards.

Is there anyway to mitigate this awful grind, or can someone at least explain the (what I assume will be BS) reasoning is behind this kind of decision?

(Yes I know you can buy nearly identical armor from the secondary Ossus vendor for just straight credits, but the one that requires rep and the extra currency has shoulder pads on the Imp side chest piece that make it look SO much better than the non-rep chestpiece, and that's what I'm after. It's baffling that the entire set is otherwise identical between vendors.)

You can thank the low life's that would horde hundreds of the relic's so they could beat the system and hit max reputation instantly. Because of them, we now have the insanely low amount that you can turn in for a single week.
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it except grind for the amount of weeks to months that it will take you.

I'm going to guess the cap on barter tokens (which are separate from Rep tokens) is so that you spend them. So go spend those tokens. You are going to get more anyway.

As someone who has maxed the rep and is at token cap I don't care if it is capped or not there is nothing I need to spend them on and just do the dailies because they are relatively quick and easy. All tokens eventually become irrelevant to a person.

Posted (edited)

Sadly the swtor team believes that grinding for gear is content. And the only reason I can think of why Ossus is a much slower grind is because in 5.0, the gear in question was actually best in slot gear. We were forced to grind the world bosses and those dailies for the relics which rewarded us with the best gear we could get in that era of swtor. Very similar to how there is a cap now on conquest commendations, which after the initial launch in 7.0, was doubled so the grind wasn't quite as punishing.

Conversely in 6.0, iirc, the system was changed so you could basically play any content you wanted to get gear, but it was more of the same...grinding old content. There was still a cap but i think you could get fully geared in 6.0 in a matter of 2 - 3 weeks. Caveat being that to completely min/max stats it was completely RNG based so that was their mechanism to draw out the gear grind.

Anyways ossus is content from, what 6 to 7 years ago now? So there won't be enough of an uproar to ever change it, most likely. 

Edited by Samcuu

Ossus came out December of 2018, and the Masterwork Gear launched in February/Early March  I think.  And you needed the Ossus tokens to buy some of the crafting materials to make Masterwork gear, so that was a crafting limiter.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think it's probably because patches have become less frequent over the years, so the grind in newer areas are longer to keep players occupied longer when they initial come out. For example, Ossus was added in 5.10 in December 11, 2018. The next major update 6.0 wasn't until October 22, 2019, over 10 months later. They needed to stretch out that grind.

Edited by ThanderSnB

On 5/17/2024 at 7:23 PM, Samcuu said:

We were forced to grind the world bosses and those dailies for the relics which rewarded us with the best gear we could get in that era of swtor.

no, that was the masterwork/monumental crystals that have since been removed
the relics are just a gimmicky zone currency and as previously stated the cap is to encourage you to actually spend them

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.