Goodbye

Today I finally decided to give up playing SWTOR.  I've played on and off since the game launched, had some good times and met some nice people.  Unfortunately the deteriorating player experience with unfixed bugs (some from the original launch) and strange graphic glitches becoming more and more prevalent have slowly sapped the enjoyment from the game for me.  I might stick my head in occasionally to see if things improve but I don't hold out much hope.

I've gone back to ESO.  The graphics are superb but there was one nasty shock ... having to queue for login.

I totally get you and understand. At least the queue for ESO is generally short. I've been playing ToR since beta, off and on as well and the changes and experiences are pushing me away. I wish I hadn't bought the pack that gave me 2 months play time because now unsubbing won't even make any sort of statement. They already got my money.

• Like 1

Im new to SWTOR and after having played 50 hours in my first week I can say this is one of the best MMO's ever created, the quests, voice dialogue and quest animation/video is top notch. Everyone has been really cool in every dungeon group ive played in. After one group a really nice guy bought me a mount which was really cool. I also didnt encounter any bugs while playing. Elder Scrolls Online which I wont even attempt to play even being an Elder Scrolls fan because of numerous complaints about the game being to easy and lackluster. Ive actually heard more complaints about ESO than SWTOR. I will continue supporting this game not only as a long time Star Wars fan but also because I think its a great game. Good luck in ESO.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MysticalTriforce said:

Im new to SWTOR and after having played 50 hours in my first week I can say this is one of the best MMO's ever created, the quests, voice dialogue and quest animation/video is top notch. Everyone has been really cool in every dungeon group ive played in. After one group a really nice guy bought me a mount which was really cool. I also didnt encounter any bugs while playing. Elder Scrolls Online which I wont even attempt to play even being an Elder Scrolls fan because of numerous complaints about the game being to easy and lackluster. Ive actually heard more complaints about ESO than SWTOR. I will continue supporting this game not only as a long time Star Wars fan but also because I think its a great game. Good luck in ESO.

Reality is swtor is a great game especially if you are new and have never played the vanilla stories and the first few expansions. When you see complaints it's mostly from long time players who are bored because sadly they don't provide enough end game content or fix a lot of things that could massively improve quality of life in game.  

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Reality is swtor is a great game especially if you are new and have never played the vanilla stories and the first few expansions. When you see complaints it's mostly from long time players who are bored because sadly they don't provide enough end game content or fix a lot of things that could massively improve quality of life in game.  

This exactly

Im new to SWTOR and after having played 50 hours in my first week I can say this is one of the best MMO's ever created, the quests, voice dialogue and quest animation/video is top notch.

If this is your first week playing the game, then it makes perfect sense for you to feel that way, because everything is still new to you.

That's how I felt when I first played the game, too, about 12 years ago and on an older account. But your view of things tends to change after you've played through all eight of the original class storylines, and then the pretty much ONE storyline that the game condenses into after that.

A lot of players in this game became bored because they simply ran out of things to do. The reason I created this new account was because I had done everything in the game and thought that creating a new account to start over from the ground up might rekindle my enthusiasm for the game.

MMORPGs need to evolve and add content over time in order to sustain themselves. That is the issue people are having here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sigh.  I still have a soft spot for this game but judging by the universally negative reaction to the latest update I think I chose a good time to get out.  I'll check in occasionally to see if there is any sudden improvement but I don't hold out much hope.😪

Good luck to you all.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:14 AM, Samcuu said:

SWTOR is like a house built with outdated but solid structure and interior, but the house has been neglected and sabotaged by terrible renovation since the day it's finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tantala said:

Sigh.  I still have a soft spot for this game but judging by the universally negative reaction to the latest update I think I chose a good time to get out.  I'll check in occasionally to see if there is any sudden improvement but I don't hold out much hope.😪

Good luck to you all.

I thought the new season might be incentive enough to play, but the rewards are surprisingly terrible unless you want another stronghold. Even then, they chose to use Copero, which is Rishi, Makeb buildings, and Alderaan in a blender. Condering 2 of those planets already have strongholds, Copero was a poor choice, in my view.

In past seasons, I always found something worth going through the reward track for. This time, I could only see 2 gray combination dyes and 1 animal mount as appealing items. The weapons looked fine too, but that's not enough to justify subscribing and doing the same weeklies again for. 

I understand the team is even smaller than before the transition to BS, but the quality of these updates needs to be better if BS expects players to subscribe or continue subscribing for them.  

ESO is almost as old a game, and recieves much better updates and actual expansions. It can justify an ongoing subscription. 

BS/EA: I subscribed to this game almost every month it's been live. If even players like me have given up on it, ones that didn't expect much, you're doing something very wrong. 

Edited by arunav

On 3/12/2024 at 2:02 PM, MysticalTriforce said:

The sad part is after you play through the initial story content (the vast majority of which was included at launch or added over ten years ago), you'll reach a point where it becomes clear the amount of money invested back into this game is the bare minimum required to keep it up and running (outside of milking the cash shop).

Expansions?

In this game, they are a total joke compared to the annual chapter updates in ESO or an expansion in WoW or FFXIV (admittedly those all carry an upfront cost - but you get what you pay for).

I too love this game, love SW, and would love to spend most of my game time in this world, but the reality is the powers that be wrote this game off years ago as a place to invest (either in dollars or providing the game with the best and the brightest in resources).

So I come back for a month or two every year or so, catch up, enjoy what is here while always being disappointed in the knowledge of what might have been had management at EA taken a similar approach as ESO or FF in addressing underlying issues when they both stumbled in their launches around the same time this game stumbled.

But instead of fixing the game's core problems, we got nothing but head in sand 'upgrade your PC if you are having issues, reroll if you don't like being on a dead server, stop leveling so fast' responses to the issues, followed by a massive falloff in subs, followed by a panic launch of an F2P model with a cash shop selling RNG loot boxes.

And it's been all downhill ever since.

Edited by DawnAskham
  • Sad 1