Is that some antialiasing or lightning bug?

So, since i reinstalled the game and decided to play again on my new computer, im having this problem where areas with a lot of lightning and reflections have those jaggeds glows around objects. It only gets worse when im moving since the glow moves and flickers around the object as well, but it stops since i get closer to the respective object or stop moving. I dont know if this is a driver problem or a game bug at this point, but its annoying at the point that im thinking of stop playing again. 

My computer specs are:
CPU: R5 2600

GPU: 6600 XT

RAM: 16 GB 2400MHZ

The problem persists even if i change the anti-aliasing options, textures, shadows, bloom or anything in the graphics settings. Dont remember to have this problems years before with my old RX 580.

Captura de tela 2024-01-16 122908.png

Are you using the AMD upscaling features in the drivers? If so, that’s what’s most likely causing this affect. 

FYI, in the last major patch, Broadsword did change the way lighting is done in the game. 

I had AMD upscaling turned on & it made my characters skin textures & gear shadows look like they had tiny pixilated diamonds or triangles if I zoomed in. And it was very distracting to look at. After playing around with everything in the game & it not changing, I looked at the AMD software settings. That’s when I realised I had the upscaling on for some reason. As soon as I turned it off, those annoying shadow diamonds went away.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

20 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Are you using the AMD upscaling features in the drivers? If so, that’s what’s most likely causing this affect. 

FYI, in the last major patch, Broadsword did change the way lighting is done in the game. 

I had AMD upscaling turned on & it made my characters skin textures & gear shadows look like they had tiny pixilated diamonds or triangles if I zoomed in. And it was very distracting to look at. After playing around with everything in the game & it not changing, I looked at the AMD software settings. That’s when I realised I had the upscaling on for some reason. As soon as I turned it off, those annoying shadow diamonds went away.

I'm not using upscaling. Played a bit with the AMD settings and it seems that enabling the AMD anti-aliasing and textures to override the game one seems to at least minimise the problem. It still occurs, but its less of a pain now. Maybe its something about the game using DirectX 9 and my GPU, since i had similar problems with old games and my RX 6600 XT. It's strange because in darker areas the game seems just fine, something to do with the lightning i guess.

Edited by EmidioLops

11 minutes ago, EmidioLops said:

I'm not using upscaling. Played a bit with the AMD settings and it seems that enabling the AMD anti-aliasing and textures to override the game one seems to at least minimise the problem. It still occurs, but its less of a pain now. Maybe its something about the game using DirectX 9 and my GPU, since i had similar problems with old games and my RX 6600 XT. It's strange because in darker areas the game seems just fine, something to do with the lightning i guess.

Im using a RX 6700XT. So I’m probably using the same or similar driver to you. 
I’ve got everything turned off in the AMD software now. That includes all of their newish anti-lag features. Literally turned everything off & those affects I mentioned vanished. So it’s something to do with drive not interacting properly with the new lighting changes made in 7.4.
Try turning everything off in the AMD software & see what happens. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

8 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Im using a RX 6700XT. So I’m probably using the same or similar driver to you. 
I’ve got everything turned off in the AMD software now. That includes all of their newish anti-lag features. Literally turned everything off & those affects I mentioned vanished. So it’s something to do with drive not interacting properly with the new lighting changes made in 7.4. Try turning everything off in the AMD software & see what happens. 

Tried turning everything off, same thing. Strange that it happens only to things that are far off my screen and not objects that are close to me (it actually makes it more annoying, since when im moving the edges glow and move like crazy). I guess I'll have to get used to it if I want to keep playing.

55 minutes ago, EmidioLops said:

Tried turning everything off, same thing. Strange that it happens only to things that are far off my screen and not objects that are close to me (it actually makes it more annoying, since when im moving the edges glow and move like crazy). I guess I'll have to get used to it if I want to keep playing.

What happens if you turn bloom off? 

This is most likely a setting in game. I have the RX 5500 XT, and have none of these problems. I would try like @TrixxieTriss suggest and turn bloom off, as that causes things to look weird. Could also be something simple, like  turning shadows off.

Other than that, the best thing is try to turn off one thing first and see what happens. Then try the next one and so on. Might take some time, but sometimes it's the only way to get things to look right.

Oh, it might be the resolution, as the game does look odd at certain levels of resolution.

Hope this helps.

22 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

One other thing, what AMD driver version are you using?

Im using 23.12.1 atm. Turning Bloom on/off looks the same to me, but i play with it off anyway. Shadows also look weird, like the textures are grainy when activated, so i turned it off aswell. Already changed most of the graphic settings and it does not affect the problem at all. 

32 minutes ago, Otowi said:

This is most likely a setting in game. I have the RX 5500 XT, and have none of these problems. I would try like @TrixxieTriss suggest and turn bloom off, as that causes things to look weird. Could also be something simple, like  turning shadows off.

Other than that, the best thing is try to turn off one thing first and see what happens. Then try the next one and so on. Might take some time, but sometimes it's the only way to get things to look right.

Oh, it might be the resolution, as the game does look odd at certain levels of resolution.

Hope this helps.

I play with windowed fullscreen. Tried putting it in fullscreen to turn V-Sync on but all the texts becomes blurry even if the resolution is the same as my screen. I also play on a ultrawide, dont know if that changes anything. 

Edited by EmidioLops

1 hour ago, EmidioLops said:

Im using 23.12.1 atm. Turning Bloom on/off looks the same to me, but i play with it off anyway. Shadows also look weird, like the textures are grainy when activated, so i turned it off aswell. Already changed most of the graphic settings and it does not affect the problem at all. 

What about the shadow sliders underneath? I know you have shadows off, but these seem to be seperate. I have mine turned down to half or zero. 

1 hour ago, EmidioLops said:

I play with windowed fullscreen. Tried putting it in fullscreen to turn V-Sync on but all the texts becomes blurry even if the resolution is the same as my screen. I also play on a ultrawide, dont know if that changes anything. 

What resolution are you playing at & what htz is your monitor(s)? I don’t use v-sync at all & I play full screen (across 3 monitors at 1080p). The only limit I have is limiting the FPS to 120.

I have also this very same problem, I have tried changing the in-game setting and the AMD settings but none seem to help.

AMD setting does not seem to have any effect, and in-game anti-aliasing setting on high seems to minimize it for me.

I do have an 1440p monitor.

13 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

What about the shadow sliders underneath? I know you have shadows off, but these seem to be seperate. I have mine turned down to half or zero. 

Those only makes the grainy textures less or more aparent when the shadows are turned on. 

13 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

What resolution are you playing at & what htz is your monitor(s)? I don’t use v-sync at all & I play full screen (across 3 monitors at 1080p). The only limit I have is limiting the FPS to 120.

I play on 1080p and my monitor is 75hz. Honestly, this gpu as got me so many headaches the couple of weeks that im constantly thinking of buying a whole new computer at this point. My RX 580 was like a god sent from heaven while this one of the 6000 series is more like a demon trying to make me bald of stress. 

5 hours ago, Kristallia said:

I have also this very same problem, I have tried changing the in-game setting and the AMD settings but none seem to help.

AMD setting does not seem to have any effect, and in-game anti-aliasing setting on high seems to minimize it for me.

I do have an 1440p monitor.

Its some to do with anti-aliasing. I have a somewhat similar problem with league of legend aswell, as it cant smooth edges around characters faces properly. 

1 hour ago, OwenBrooks said:

Thanks for linking Owen. That was an interesting read. Hopefully the OP can try some of those suggestions to see if it improves for them. 

What I find interesting is my 6700xt doesn’t seem to have the issue the OP has. I did have some skin strangeness (with shadows) when upscaling was enabled & AMD anti-lag. But turning them off gives me the same image as my gtx 1080. So I’m not sure why that isn’t working for the OP. I’ll double check my driver version today & report back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

What I find interesting is my 6700xt doesn’t seem to have the issue the OP has.

it may be more confined to the 6600xt as that was also the card in that thread

If not done so i would turn AA off in the game and turn it on in the AMD software and see if any change