KotET sequencing break

recalcitrantIre

This is more of a question about the content itself rather than the story, and it's something I see pop up a lot, particularly to the tune of a new player going "What happens next?"

Why doesn't the last chapter of KotET automatically sequence into the next story mission, The Forgotten World? (start of Iokath story)

As far as I'm aware, every other piece of main story content progresses automatically to the next, sometimes with a few spacing missions so that you aren't directly dumped into the points of no return; there's just this one break that if you aren't familiar with, can potentially become a huge stumbling point.

26 minutes ago, recalcitrantIre said:

This is more of a question about the content itself rather than the story, and it's something I see pop up a lot, particularly to the tune of a new player going "What happens next?"

Why doesn't the last chapter of KotET automatically sequence into the next story mission, The Forgotten World? (start of Iokath story)

Because  those  KOTFE/KOTET  expansion 'chapters'  were all originally designed by a previous DEV Team ( separate code )   and so that eventual  'Iokath'  post-continuation storyline & system  all function dramatically differently once characters land on that planet.

Consequently,  BioWare made the decision to force players back onto their  respective  'personal ship'  to access that  purple icon'd  Mission Console  ( so players would hopefully take the missions in proper order ....IF they actually read descriptions & warnings listed therein )

Later on, BioWare  coded a newer type of functionality  whereby that big  'PLAY' button appeared  on upper right side of screen, to help players  goto next story step progressions easier.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:49 AM, Nee-Elder said:

Because  those  KOTFE/KOTET  expansion 'chapters'  were all originally designed by a previous DEV Team ( separate code )   and so that eventual  'Iokath'  post-continuation storyline & system  all function dramatically differently once characters land on that planet.

if that was really so big a deal then there'd be disjuncts all over the place due to developer turnover; just because it's different people working on the game content, doesn't mean there's some fundamental difference in how it's programmed

On 12/31/2023 at 11:49 AM, Nee-Elder said:

force players back onto their  respective  'personal ship'  to access that  purple icon'd  Mission Console

KotFE and Ossus both do this, as a totally ordinary part of the core story autosequencing, with breadcrumb missions directing you to your ship's mission console, and I don't see why Iokath should be an exception

16 minutes ago, recalcitrantIre said:

doesn't mean there's some fundamental difference in how it's programmed

Sure it does.  And it is.  Goto  Iokath yourself and find out yourself  if you don't wanna believe me for some odd reason.