My Game REPEATEDLY Crashes. This never happened in 10+ years (before the 64 bit client and Broadsword)

DarthNillard

What is happening? My game just crashes randomly all the time now and gives me a pop-up to send in a report.  This has never happened and I've been playing almost the whole time since beta.  This is very very annoying.  The only way to stop it from crashing is to switch characters for a few minutes, then go back to the other one.  And half the time I can't do that because I get the "your character XXX is logged in" error message, so I have to wait 10-15 minutes to even switch characters.  FIX YOUR GAME!!!!!!!!!!

I've been getting this too and it is super frustrating - especially in the middle of battle.  I did find a thread that said to be sure Windows power mode is in either high performance or ultra.  Also, make sure triple buffering is on and pre-rendered frames is set to 3.   I keep all my drivers up to date.

Puter:

ROG Strix Z-690E Gaming Wifi

i5 12600K

49GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti

Windows 11

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jursy said:

I've been getting this too and it is super frustrating - especially in the middle of battle.  I did find a thread that said to be sure Windows power mode is in either high performance or ultra.  Also, make sure triple buffering is on and pre-rendered frames is set to 3.   I keep all my drivers up to date.

Puter:

ROG Strix Z-690E Gaming Wifi

i5 12600K

49GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti

Windows 11

So frustrating.  I have all those settings set this way, my laptop (also an ASUS ROG) is top notch.  This is just super annoying all the way around, especially considering this was never a problem for literally a decade.

42 minutes ago, DarthNillard said:

So frustrating.  I have all those settings set this way, my laptop (also an ASUS ROG) is top notch.  This is just super annoying all the way around, especially considering this was never a problem for literally a decade.

I can sense your frustration however if you are expecting SWTOR dev team to fix your "bug" you will be waiting for a long time, perhaps forever.  Best available options are to make a detailed post about your issue in the actual support forum for SWTOR or call EA support number for your country.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

I can sense your frustration however if you are expecting SWTOR dev team to fix your "bug" you will be waiting for a long time, perhaps forever.  Best available options are to make a detailed post about your issue in the actual support forum for SWTOR or call EA support number for your country.

They don't respond to bugs, never have and never will.  It's reprehensible.  EA support is even worse.

9 hours ago, DarthNillard said:

Sure wish someone from Broadband would say something.  This sub forum is pointless....

You need to answer my point higher up in the thread.  Here, I'll repeat it:

On 12/28/2023 at 11:15 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

You need to provide more information, like:

• What CPU?
  • How much memory?
  • Which version of Windows?  (Are you using Windows?)
  • What GPU?
  • Are your drivers, especially for the GPU, up to date?

On 1/2/2024 at 2:49 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

You need to answer my point higher up in the thread.  Here, I'll repeat it:

What CPU? - ROG Zephyrus M16 Gaming Laptop
How much memory? - 16 GB
Which version of Windows?  (Are you using Windows?) - Windows 11
What GPU? - 11th Gen Intel Core i9-11900H @ 2.50 GHz (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060)
Are your drivers, especially for the GPU, up to date? - Everything is up-to-date in Windows, ASUS, and NVidia

there's something seriously wrong with this game, when i accept the pvp queue or wanna leave the ship for example nothing happens...when i logg out i'm suddenly in another instance (warzone or rep fleet for example)

13 hours ago, DarthNillard said:

What CPU? - ROG Zephyrus M16 Gaming Laptop

For tech support oriented folks, the CPU in that laptop is:

13th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-13900H Processor 2.6 GHz (24M Cache, up to 5.4 GHz, 14 cores: 6 P-cores and 8 E-cores)

On 1/4/2024 at 6:14 PM, OwenBrooks said:

EA has never and will never actually fix a problem.  I'd rather just stop playing tbh then deal with those bozos again.....

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same problem. Part of me is thinking that the devs, and broadsword are all aware of the game-breaking bugs plaguing this game. And are just doing the bare minimum of their job description. Probably in hopes that they can still receive a paycheck whilst desperately hoping the game fails so hard, it gets shut down for good. Then they can move on to other projects, instead of being stuck moderating a 12+ year old game.

Try checking your > Preferences > Graphics

• Ensure Refresh Rate is set to your Monitor's Specifications, as this helps reduce problems: Also Frame Rate is similar, or close to Refresh: 2 steps below:
  • Step 2 -- try decreasing your Frame Rate down 1 level to 60, 90, 100, or 120 as max is 200 depending on your Monitor's Refresh.
  • Step 3 -- try slightly increasing your Frame Rate up 1 level to 90, 100, or 120 might also help; as I said depending on your Monitor's Refresh.
  • or Finally under > Preferences > Graphics try DEFAULT, then set back to Monitor's Refresh, & Frame Rate as close to Refresh, using step 2 & 3 again.
  • Try those first, then as last resort downloading new Video Driver, yet always make backup / download current version too; so you can recover to current.
  • If current Video Driver installed, isn't available from Manufacturer, then 24/7 Microsoft Windows Support can help you save Backup of old Video Driver.
  • Also Windows Update, sometimes includes updated Video Driver's too; though responsibility is on your manufacturer.

Older Monitor's were typically 60 Hz, yet many new Monitors in the last 2, 3, or 4 years are 120 or 165 Refresh, so ensure these are closely set; and yes sometimes small tweaks up or down 1 level--it's just a try and tweak.  Always record where you started from, to begin, so you can get back.  Usually I've found the cause isn't Graphic Drivers that are the cause (most) often, more often it's too (large) a discrepancy from Refresh & Frame Rate, yet not always...  (see below)

Though it never hurts to always save a backup of old Graphics Driver's, or download the older one off support site, especially before trying to download New Graphic Drivers.  Sometimes the Older Graphic Driver's cause less problems too, so always save Older Graphic's drivers before upgrading to New Graphic Drivers.  Updates on Graphic Driver if not available from Manufacturer can also be available from Windows Update.  

LAST STEPS TO TRY:

Note: Sometimes also just powering OFF your computer for 30 seconds, and doing a fresh clean BOOT; can sometimes FIX unusual errors or problems.

I'd next perhaps try the following, yet use your best judgement on what you think might help:

• I'd run some Hardware Diagnostic's in Windows, &/or Disk Defrag, or Disk Diagnostic's --though usually Windows 10/11 run Disk Defrag regularly.
  • I'd try to check & backup this folder to Desktop, prior to uninstall & reinstall, yet realize it's a HIDDEN folder, simply back up the blue folder before Uninstalling.
    -- C:\Users\{Your Username}\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings
    --> Make a Backup of that (folder) to DESKTOP, so you can restore that after you do CLEAN install in case it's lost, during uninstall, power cycle & reinstall.
  • Uninstall SWTOR (turn computer OFF for 30 seconds) after removing, then RESTART &  Download now | Star Wars: The Old Republic (swtor.com)
  •  --> Once reinstalled and after my first login, I'd exit game and restore blue folder to C:\Users\{Your Username}\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\ 
  • Sometimes a FRESH reinstallation can help, I wish I could help more, yet now I'm out of suggestions.

Hope something their helps.

Edited by Strathkin
  • Thanks 1