Why are the new story lines so small?

Rakenla

Limited budget and resources.  The original game was incredibly expensive and they had to scale back even for the first expansion.

The dev's can only work with what they have.  Plus have you seen the vitriol when they release non-voiced content?  The Dev's can't even scale back on the voice acting to try to get more story content without being lambasted for it.

• Like 1

This is one reason I love the FFX storyline, It goes through the whole expansion and there are some expansions (Heavenward for One) that hit you hard in the emotional section. Still, as Little Dragon alluded to, it may not work here because not all the expansions are voiced.  Some parts are and some aren't but for me, if they could do the story like that I could settle for not all being voiced but sadly I am one of a tiny group as the rest would scream about it not being all voiced.  I love the story part and emotional stories, but as stated I am a tiny pebble in SWTOR that would be okay with that.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest issue I've had is that, since KotFE and KotET, the subsequent "storylines" have been absolutely miniscule in both importance and scope. It takes us ages to get new story drops and they've barely felt worth the wait for a really long time.

I get it, budgets and team size and layoffs and what have you. It just sucks that we haven't had a big epic story expansion in literal years.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 6:19 PM, casirabit said:

Some parts are and some aren't but for me, if they could do the story like that I could settle for not all being voiced but sadly I am one of a tiny group as the rest would scream about it not being all voiced.

Only the main quest has a voiced pc in SWTOR's recent updates as well. They have scaled back and people seem to be okay with that.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:16 AM, Sir_Dhyne said:

the subsequent "storylines" have been absolutely miniscule in both importance and scope. It takes us ages to get new story drops and they've barely felt worth the wait for a really long time.

The cinematics in 7.x are top notch, the world design is gorgeous, the voice acting brilliant as always and the quests have been very solid overall as well. It's really just the lacklustre and incoherent writing that drags this game down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whykara said:

Only the main quest has a voiced pc in SWTOR's recent updates as well. They have scaled back and people seem to be okay with that.

most of the main quest, kessan had weird parts where half was voiced and half wasn't and it really pissed people off, i didn't like it either becuse its sudden and it really broke immersion, side quests like lane vizsla are understandable i guess but just suddenly cutting main quest to voiced and non voiced is immersion shattering.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, BulbulusTheGreat said:

most of the main quest, kessan had weird parts where half was voiced and half wasn't and it really pissed people off, i didn't like it either becuse its sudden and it really broke immersion, side quests like lane vizsla are understandable i guess but just suddenly cutting main quest to voiced and non voiced is immersion shattering.

Since I'm out of clickies I have to write: 100 % agree

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 2:09 PM, BulbulusTheGreat said:

Yeah, we had half-voiced side quests since 2015 already and people accepted it long time ago. For SIDE quests. But then, suddenly in 7.3 and 7.4 they started mixing it within the same main quest chain.

Just no. That is simply too much and they got the deserved flack. It's bad enough that the game already scaled back on the original design of voicing EVERY line. It's bad enough that the same game now has essentially 2 different dialogue interfaces & styles. But now extending that onto the absolute MAIN quests that get released so rarely these days? And mixing it incoherently with fully voiced scenes without any logic? NOPE

Line gotta be drawn somewhere and players shouldn't be asked for endless compromising and understanding, this is not a freaking indie game

Edited by Pietrastor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not only is the story small, it is also an incoherent mess. Without any purpose, world building, immersion and generally what makes Star Wars verse great. 7.0 story was the worst thing i have ever witnessed from a game...the worst...it does not advance the plot...it paints the PC in a stupid light, far from the strongest in the galaxy and a military/political leader...instead the PC is just a peon who goes to clean the cantina, take out the garbage, go alone like a coward to sneak to his enemies....like what the hell is this....

About the non-voiced main quest cutscenes...it has been said enough...this is unacceptable.

The funniest and most pathetic thing in that situation is, that there are people who will defend it. They will state game is in perfect state and it's completely fine.
NO IT ISN'T!
This is pathetic to say at least. Game is goign to die soon. This is great example of that.

• 3 weeks later...

What really pissed me off was that for most of Showdown on Ruhnuk my character was literally doing nothing but watching cut scenes of Mandalorians fighting. I'm sick of the Mandalorian Civil War. I'm at the point where I'm purposely  choosing to make Shae Vizsla angry because it's amusing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really hope that before SWTOR dies, they at least wrap up Malgus's story full circle and the whole "Darth Nul" plot. No matter how bad a storyline is, I just don't like it to be left in a unintentional cliffhanger.

• Like 1