APAC server & SWTOR promotions

TrixxieTriss

1 minute ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Then what was the point in opening up a new APAC server & then not even informing the old APAC players they had done this?

this was my question i got when there open a new server from what was the point from it since a lot of people know all that open a new server was again waste of time and money again when there can use that for other things more that was my question i got when i hear from the new server.

18 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

But if these people aren’t told there is a new server to start with, they won’t come back because they no longer follow this forum or any of the current swtor media. Which is why I’ve been begging Broadsword to promote the server outside swtor’s usual ecosystem.

do you think that if broadsword was going to promote it that there have come back.

you not know how worse the reputation and how bad the imago this game has.

on one of the facebook page's where there have promote the new server now the comments you get are not that nice since people call this game a cash cow for EA.

and with the screw ups from 7.0 there have done you can understand that the game's reputation and imago outside the forum is really worse.

let me tell you this also there are youtuber's that talk trash about this game that have a big nummber of follows and the reason there talk trash about this game is that what there tell is true about this game.

and here is a other point.

if there cant maintain the current playerbase from leaving then whats the point to focus on old players that have left all or new one's when there cant keep the current playersbase happy all.

1 minute ago, Spikanor said:

if there cant maintain the current playerbase from leaving then whats the point to focus on old players that have left all or new one's when there cant keep the current playersbase happy all.

If you aren’t going to help, then can I ask you to please not to derail the thread. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

If you aren’t going to help, then can I ask you to please not to derail the thread. 

i only tell you that focusing on the new players and the old players that have quit playing this game is useless for now if there cant stop other players that are playing now from leaving the game.

the idea to give a boost to the new server can have some good points but its not stoping the bleeding this game has for years and so far its not stopping so thats the problem why the new server fails hard in population.

edit: also the new tax system there have add like quick travel tax, trade tax, increase GTN tax and later on GTN buyers tax is all hurting the new server hard.

Edited by Spikanor

The following ideas are simply that ... ideas (and perhaps an observation or two)
** Media blitz .. ???  IMO it's not always how many places you contact (even if they were ALL) connected to the MMO community.  A lot of times it's WHOM you contact.  I do think it's a good idea to make an announcement.  Said announcement should definitely be to a targeted area / audience.  It may even cover more area(s) than we might think : depending on the company handling the promo!  So YES ... DEFINATELY advertise ... BUT do it wisely.  Get the biggest bang for the $$$ (US).  That may or may not mean find the cheapest source.  Seems like we always get what we pay for in that department (If you catch my drift).

** Actually growing the server:  This is obviously a must!  Keeping current players that will be a part of that server is (or at least should be) equally important.  Otherwise, what is the point of opening up the new server for APAC in the first place.  I would also imagine that account transfers would be a priority.  I know how I would feel if that were not made available.

** Incentives:  10 day to 3 week free trial with an optional discounted subscription for 30 (but not exceeding 90) days to me would seem like a sweet deal for being (re)introduced to SWTOR through the new APAC server.  You might even throw in a few CC to sweeten the deal.

** It might be cool if Disney ran a simple "Welcome aboard APAC".  Nothing too much.  BUT, again, it would certainly be a friendly shot in the arm for the entire community (IMO).

The rest ... retention etc,  will then be left up Broadsword. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Then what was the point in opening up a new APAC server...

the novelty of [fresh start] server 

You answered your own question there. The point of the APAC server (and all the other UI/UX modifications btw) are to create the illusion of content without actually creating new content. 

I know you don't want to derail this thread, but I'm not sure what the real point of this thread is. BioWare has 0 money for content, much less advertisements for their illusions of content. 

12 minutes ago, septru said:

[/snip]

I know you don't want to derail this thread, but I'm not sure what the real point of this thread is. BioWare has 0 money for content, much less advertisements for their illusions of content. 

IMO this is not about creating an illusion or false impression.  The advertisement (if utilized) would be: short / sweet / simple / to the point and well placed in key MMO based sites.  The objective would be to reintroduce those within the APAC umbrella of the availability of the server since it was taken down several years ago.  This would not be an extensive media blitz.  It WOULD be targeted to fit a specific group of what was once a part of the SWTOR community.

And ...  I'm almost reasonably sure that BW would have little (If nothing) to do with this anymore!  And THAT is a good thing!  Good riddance!

ACTUAL retention would be better discussed in another thread!

If I understand @TrixxieTriss correctly she is simply trying to create enough interest to make more information available to those that SWTOR lost along the way specifically through APAC.  I can only imagine attempting to play an MMO across the big pond with some of the difficulties that they are faced with every day!  With the new server this would no doubt help those players return if they actually knew about it!

BTW... @TrixxieTriss ... if I'm way off base on this one... let me know!  But something tells me I'm not that far off the mark!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spikanor said:

on one of the facebook page's where there have promote the new server now the comments you get are not that nice since people call this game a cash cow for EA.

The point of any game, online or not, is to be a cash cow for any company. People who complain that SWTOR is EA's cash cow must think that a game should be F2P through and through. That's unrealistic. A company that doesn't have profit in mind should just close since it doesn't know its purpose. At the end of the day, games are basically cash cows for companies, or else those companies who don't think so should just close.

But anyway, again what's needed for the game in general is more awareness for it. and especially for the new server. I pointed out WoWs and WoT; possibly the best example of creating so much awareness and really making it big is Ragnarok Online here in the Philippines. When RO came here way back in 2003, its publisher here Level-Up Games heavily promoted it. There was much media promotion and even going to the extent of getting celebrities as endorsers. It cannot be overstated that when a company invests much on Marketing, the rewards are huge. Sadly many companies don't get that and when they downsize, Marketing is one of the departments most hit when it is precisely what the company needs in order to get back into profit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OlBuzzard said:

IMO this is not about creating an illusion or false impression.  The advertisement (if utilized) would be: short / sweet / simple / to the point and well placed in key MMO based sites.  The objective would be to reintroduce those within the APAC umbrella of the availability of the server since it was taken down several years ago.  This would not be an extensive media blitz.  It WOULD be targeted to fit a specific group of what was once a part of the SWTOR community.

And ...  I'm almost reasonably sure that BW would have little (If nothing) to do with this anymore!  And THAT is a good thing!  Good riddance!

ACTUAL retention would be better discussed in another thread!

If I understand @TrixxieTriss correctly she is simply trying to create enough interest to make more information available to those that SWTOR lost along the way specifically through APAC.  I can only imagine attempting to play an MMO across the big pond with some of the difficulties that they are faced with every day!  With the new server this would no doubt help those players return if they actually knew about it!

BTW... @TrixxieTriss ... if I'm way off base on this one... let me know!  But something tells me I'm not that far off the mark!

100% this 👆

1 hour ago, Spikanor said:

only tell you that focusing on the new players and the old players that have quit playing this game is useless for now if there cant stop other players that are playing now from leaving the game.

This is a different discussion that would be best had in another thread. Where you will get my actual support. 

56 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

This is a different discussion that would be best had in another thread. Where you will get my actual support. 

sadly we have a lot of that type threads all and notting has help.

then let me ask you this:

do you know the reasons why the new server is failing hard since its not only that there promote the server less there are also other things that are the problem why its going bad with the new server.

so long you not know what all the problems are then you cant fix then to increase the population.

14 hours ago, Spikanor said:

but i think also there need to start fixing the bad and worst reputation this game has since a game that has a worst reputation is not good if you wane lure new players in.

This is a made up thing in ur mind. It has good reviews on steam and every single month there's a couple of youTube channels reviewing the game that almost always giving it rave reviews. Reality is that as a base game with the 8 stories it's a fantastic rpg, and you can easily sink 100 hours into the game while having a blast, if not more. The idea that there are no new players is also incorrect btw. It's really only on the forums where u see the veteran players complain about the game. Ppl play through the vanilla stories and then leave after they get to the expansions or end game because it does fall off a pretty steep cliff at that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarcen said:

When RO came here way back in 2003, its publisher here Level-Up Games heavily promoted it. There was much media promotion and even going to the extent of getting celebrities as endorsers. It cannot be overstated that when a company invests much on Marketing, the rewards are huge.

SWTOR did not shy away from marketing before launch/after launch either. At launch it was estimated they spent 100-200 million dollars on marketing alone.
They did some stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT51XxPqNQ
Which meant a worldwide advertisement since at the time it was a very popular series, if i recall correctly it was an episode around swtor or with a big part of it.

Issue was not advertising but the game that has fundamental and core issues. Tried to be everything and ended up being nothing. They decided to just focus on one thing in 4.0 and failed badly and population plummeted for the second time after release.
Game has no "staying" power, you see review gaming/mmo channels on youtube saying it's a good game but can't be anyone's main mmo because endgame is lackluster. If you pair up star wars as a whole is not doing good lately with disney and KK, game issues and lack of identity outside of CM simulator, advertising won't help much.

Without paying money they don't have/EA won't give, the only way i can think of is to go on an interview Jason Schreier style where they are allowed to promote a bit the game/new server if they answer stuff about bioware too. Because the fall of what once was a great developer will create tons of views and then people will report on it. But EA will never allow it, especially when they are on the late stages of dreadwolf.

The minimum they could/should have done was to send mails to everyone with existing accounts/existing accounts and inactive for a period of time, with the news or some special rewards/event if they come back. 
Pretty sure if they bring the OG Dark vs Light event on the new server many will flock there, since it is basically an event to keep people from leaving after kotfe failed for everyone to do all the old content/fresh start plus the xp armor

One of the big problems you are going to have in advertising the game to the APAC region is that SWTOR is predominantly an English language game. Once you get outside Australia and New Zealand the number of proficient english speakers drops off quickly (and the languages spoken are very different so translation is not particularly easy). While that may not impact PVP (which is basically a button pushing exercise with little need for coordination beyond the basics), all of the PVE content either is delivered heavily in English or communication between players needs to be in a common language. If the game had a Chinese (or even Japanese or Korean) language version, I think it would have been much more successful in the APAC region than it was. I'm not sure the APAC server can survive without US players playing on it.

Don't often post but felt the need to for this. It'll probably get me in trouble too - oh well.

Shae Visla server is a token effort to make it look like they give a crap about APAC players when they don't. Eric always ignored APAC concerns when he was a community rep and each time we got shafted by closures, mergers etc we were ignored. Our gameplay experience HAS NEVER been a priority to the current studio. Then add to this the fact the devs/cm's are more interested in a View competition than promoting or campaigning people via gaming sites and email about the new server and it just reiterates their lack of regard for our community. 

Think about that...they'd rather focus on a contest than promote a new server that might bring (paying and playing) people into the game (returning or otherwise). Also, instead of giving us what other servers got (transfers) we get to be their guinea pigs and lose years of legacy and character progression. They just don't give a crap about our experience beyond a bare minimum and everything they've done over the years proves that, so why would this be any different?

11 minutes ago, obek_kwae said:

Shae Visla server is a token effort to make it look like they give a crap about APAC players when they don't. Eric always ignored APAC concerns when he was a community rep and each time we got shafted by closures, mergers etc we were ignored. Our gameplay experience HAS NEVER been a priority to the current studio. Then add to this the fact the devs/cm's are more interested in a View competition than promoting or campaigning people via gaming sites and email about the new server and it just reiterates their lack of regard for our community. 

Think about that...they'd rather focus on a contest than promote a new server that might bring (paying and playing) people into the game (returning or otherwise). Also, instead of giving us what other servers got (transfers) we get to be their guinea pigs and lose years of legacy and character progression. They just don't give a crap about our experience beyond a bare minimum and everything they've done over the years proves that, so why would this be any different?

Well cause Broadsword bought them out and I really think they care more than EA/Bioware ever did for it. They seem to be actual fans of Star Wars and the game so I am a tad more hopeful than I have been for the future of this game. I hope even if every idea can't be done they listen to their fans. We are all here cause we like SW and want the game to do well.

53 minutes ago, obek_kwae said:

Shae Visla server is a token effort to make it look like they give a crap about APAC players when they don't. Eric always ignored APAC concerns when he was a community rep and each time we got shafted by closures, mergers etc we were ignored.

Okay I understand why u might be upset considering the treatment of apac platers in the past. However my question to you is, after being ignored all those years why take the time and effort of setting up a brand new server (which is a monetary investment as well)? what is the logic behind it? Again you view it as a "token effort" but what exactly are they gaining from all of this then? If you think they don't care about the apac players, and they've completely disregarded you for a long period of time then why make an investment at all? I think at this point all the apac players that want to play the game remain and enjoy their time on whatever server they are on. 

Edited by Samcuu

Probably a combination of things that can be spun in a positive light down the road (aka marketing) "we really do care! we even gave them a server back"

Things like trying to foster a bit of goodwill with masochists like me that have (for the most part) stuck with the game over the years (it wont for me but hey i've been around a while and seen their true colours). Resources to sort a server now are probably a lot less than they used to be but i would bet that the first thing to go if they struggle again will be this APAC server. Related to this, their publisher probably has a good enough GAME support setup (not CS but actual techs to manage the game's operation) that they don't need to have the studio do that bit beyond facilitating the initial deployment and send them patches etc. There's probably plenty more going on behind the scenes that i can't see but to me based on my experience, this is little more than a marketing gimmick. But all of that can still be publicly spun as i said with "we really do care!" whilst trying to ignore everything that's already proven the opposite.

As i stated above, to me this is reiterated by the very half assed way the server's been implemented and communicated; ie no regard for existing players time put into the game over the years and making people like me start all over, no trying to get the word out that there's an APAC server beyond a basic forum announcement and news post. The putting their time and energy into a contest over building and growing the APC community is just unbelievable really another day at the office.

6 minutes ago, obek_kwae said:

no trying to get the word out that there's an APAC server beyond a basic forum announcement and news post.

So it's a marketing gimmick that they aren't marketing? Lol not a very good gimmick then is it? 😂😂

Just now, obek_kwae said:

Nope, hence why this thread exists :P

More seriously though, i said "down the road they can say"

I doubt they have any time to play silly games like this lol seems like nonsense to me. I'm sure they had in mind what wow is doing with their classic servers, that probably has a hit to do with it. And allowing server transfers is going to inflate the economy immediately etc. It's a harmless thing that apac players shouldn't be triggered about considering if they are still playing the game they are already accustomed to the ping on the NA servers. Most ppl wouldn't transfer off their current sever anyways thanks to the community they probably already have. If ur gonna start a new server I imagine the best course of action is letting it grow organically. 

" It's a harmless thing that apac players shouldn't be triggered about "

And this is where i lose any interest in conversing with you further.

I've been following this game from beta and you're telling me i am probably fine with losing the time and effort i put into my legacy for an economy that's already trying to sell crap for millions+ credits 2 weeks in?

Interesting - sounds more like because i'm an APAC player i'm supposed to just put up with the crap i'm fed and you're ok with that because it doesn't impact you.

Bill it as a Fresh Start Server.

Everyone starts with nothing and you build from there.

Fresh economy.

New guilds to be built ect.

NO server transfers in way shape or form as this would pollute the whole Fresh Start concept.

Cirran

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.