Personal story

Aedales

So while I barely go to the forums, I thought it was time. I have played this game since closed Beta, and pay for 6 months at a time. The most disappointing thing that has happened to this game since Shadows of Revan is the class story and Companion stories going away. Those two right there made the players feel more immersed in their characters I think. Now we are on the cookie cutter story which is the exact same thing for everyone. This game went from being dynamic and original, and now it is the same stories for all like every other MMO. If I wanted to play Final Fantasy, Guild Wars, or WoW then I would play those.

New content is great and we always look forward to it. But, if you want to make this game great again and bring people back who have left, personalize it again! More personal quests, more companion interaction! Hell, go back an add the multiple romance options from the beginning instead of those who wish same sex relationships to wait until AFTER SoR for it to kick in. You guys offer new companions, which is awesome! They have absolutely no connection with my characters like my class companions have. Hopefully you guys get what I'm saying. The more it continues on this route, the more the player base will begin to die off.

• Like 1

You're late to the party, we're under broadsword now so i wouldnt expect any major story updates. especially seeing the disaster that voss is. if anything, the story needs to END, stop drawing it out with padded content. If the next story drop is that heta kol runs away again and malgus is still in his chair, i will actually scream.

They need to focus on fleshing out what already exists instead of giving us 30 seconds of personal story every few months and then 5 minutes of repetetive chore quests...

Edited by MotherCrusher
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2023 at 3:55 PM, Aedales said:

So while I barely go to the forums, I thought it was time. I have played this game since closed Beta, and pay for 6 months at a time. The most disappointing thing that has happened to this game since Shadows of Revan is the class story and Companion stories going away. Those two right there made the players feel more immersed in their characters I think. Now we are on the cookie cutter story which is the exact same thing for everyone. This game went from being dynamic and original, and now it is the same stories for all like every other MMO. If I wanted to play Final Fantasy, Guild Wars, or WoW then I would play those.

New content is great and we always look forward to it. But, if you want to make this game great again and bring people back who have left, personalize it again! More personal quests, more companion interaction! Hell, go back an add the multiple romance options from the beginning instead of those who wish same sex relationships to wait until AFTER SoR for it to kick in. You guys offer new companions, which is awesome! They have absolutely no connection with my characters like my class companions have. Hopefully you guys get what I'm saying. The more it continues on this route, the more the player base will begin to die off.

i felt more connection to Lana and Theron (especially lana) than all my class story companions if im being honest but thats just a personal prefrence, i get what you're trying to say and i do agree about personalized story, i also hope we actually do something impactful in the future unlike voss....oh and start making it longer than 2 hours, have to say though i liked voss fp.

Edited by BulbulusTheGreat

4 hours ago, Whykara said:

The party has been over since KotFE scrapped individual stories.

Individual stories were over starting at Ilum.  RotHC (Makeb) was one story per faction, and the Revan/Emperor stuff was basically one story (no, a single small per-class mission does not make the overall story per-class).

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Individual stories were over starting at Ilum.  RotHC (Makeb) was one story per faction, and the Revan/Emperor stuff was basically one story (no, a single small per-class mission does not make the overall story per-class).

Can I just say that I appreciate this post so much because I get so irritated that people keep blaming KOTFE/KOTET with killing class stories when they died WAY BEFORE that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Individual stories were over starting at Ilum. 

Yes, but RotHC at least made an effort to incorporate our class identities (and a very good one at that), and Revan had class-specific missions on Rishi. It was indeed KotFE that threw our class identities overboard, removing any uniqueness in favour of condensing all 8 classes into "the outlander". And we're still suffering the consequences.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Whykara said:

Revan had class-specific missions on Rishi

It was one small mission per class (er, per Origin), and it wasn't even a mission you had to complete.  The rest of the story, especially Rishi/Yavin and then Rise of the Emperor on Ziost, were completely the same for all origins.  And before you say it, a few spatterings of origin-specific dialogue don't count either.  (If they did, KotFE/ET and onwards would have to count as being not-single-story as well.)

On 11/23/2023 at 7:03 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

It was one small mission per class (er, per Origin), and it wasn't even a mission you had to complete.  The rest of the story, especially Rishi/Yavin and then Rise of the Emperor on Ziost, were completely the same for all origins.  And before you say it, a few spatterings of origin-specific dialogue don't count either.  (If they did, KotFE/ET and onwards would have to count as being not-single-story as well.)

That's all true, but @Whykara is making a larger point that condensing all 8 characters into one person, i.e. "the outlander," was bad storytelling because it destroyed the class identities and the uniqueness that we had enjoyed prior to kotfe. This has resulted in worse story telling overall. Prior to kotfe, Each of the 8 characters was a separate entity for the purposes of the story. Even though we all had the same "story," each character existed in the SWTOR universe and were progressing through it separately.

This philosophy was in place on day 1 of the game; every class plays the same main planetary story questline for example but were still separate characters. The PvE space missions, each of the 4 characters per faction get a call sign and are considered to make up a team of 4. Now, you are just "the outlander" and the other 7 class story characters are "missing" since kotfe. Resources is not an excuse for this, it was simply a terrible design choice; the story in KOTFE was much more robust in size/scope than RotHC and SOR and the dev team was comparable in size throughout that whole time period.

• Like 1