How To Play Games in a Series?

turbomagnus

While this could 'technically' apply to SWTOR because KOTOR, KOTOR II and SWTOR take place in the same basic universe and each builds on the previous, there's no question that KOTOR, KOTOR II and SWTOR follow a clear progression both in timeline and release...

But when a series of games doesn't have that, when games are released later that take place earlier in the series' timeline (prequels, 'fill-ins', 'other characters' stories', etc.)  do you think it's better to play the games in order of release (with accompanying advances in graphics, gameplay, controls, etc.) or in order of timeline, even if it means jumping around on those?

For me, it depends on the series. If the series has really old games, a lot of times I just can't stomach the ancient game mechanics. For example, I've never played the first two Elder Scrolls games. I've thought about it, but every time I start looking into it, the old mechanics turn me away. On the other hand, Fallout 1 and 2 still felt pretty playable to me.

Now for books, I've read a few series that could be read either way. I can read books pretty quickly, so I usually just plan to read the series twice. Once in order of release date and the second time in story/chronological order.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 10:02 PM, ThanderSnB said:

For example, I've never played the first two Elder Scrolls games

So you've never had the pleasure of completing the quest for the "complete invisibility even when you're attacking them" ring?  I am disappoint.

For reference, I played Elder Scrolls: Arena when it first came out in the first half of the 90s.

• Like 1