Ideas for Improving PVP (in its current state and the future)

Samcuu

2 hours ago, krackcommando said:

there's an obvious decline between seasons. during seasons the pops pick up much faster than I remember in late 5.x and all of 6.x. keep in mind there are 2 "reg queues" going in 7.2, and they both pop quickly during seasons. I also don't recall rated pops being as fast as the 7.2 arena queue or as populated, so it really is 2 full queues. but if you take away the absolute lemmings who are there only to feed numbers to the population during seasons, I don't think anything has changed since well before 7.0. more like late 5-something. being honest though, I'd avoid WZ queue just to not have to play vandin, quesh, and opg. I would love it if ahg and nc popped non-stop. but that's neither here nor there.

Depending on the server & time of day, some servers are still fairly slow on pops due to their overall low server population.
And even servers like SF have slow pops outside of the 6-8 hour primetime window during seasons & getting slower with each season. Which I can see getting worse if they don’t fix the excessive ping spikes happening for OS players since the AWS migration. 

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Depending on the server & time of day, some servers are still fairly slow on pops due to their overall low server population.
And even servers like SF have slow pops outside of the 6-8 hour primetime window during seasons & getting slower with each season. Which I can see getting worse if they don’t fix the excessive ping spikes happening for OS players since the AWS migration. 

I don't consider that an issue. I'm not dismissing your problem (being a player who plays off peak hours). I simply mean that these are (essentially still) regional servers. the game isn't (and never really was) big enough to have high pop 24/7. queues died on origin servers (courageous). queues died on 2nd (canderous ordo) servers. queues died on 3rd servers (jedi covenant). queues die on the current super servers (starforge).  I've never played this game on a server that didn't ebb and flow like that. /shrug

Edited by krackcommando

56 minutes ago, krackcommando said:

I don't consider that an issue. I'm not dismissing your problem (being a player who plays off peak hours). I simply mean that these are (essentially still) regional servers. the game isn't (and never really was) big enough to have high pop 24/7. queues died on origin servers (courageous). queues died on 2nd (canderous ordo) servers. queues died on 3rd servers (jedi covenant). queues die on the current super servers (starforge).  I've never played this game on a server that didn't ebb and flow like that. /shrug

Also agree with that & seen the same thing over the last 11 years.

It’s just that when you play on the fringes of primetime or directly out of it, it’s much easier to notice population trends when queue numbers are diminishing or even increasing quicker than normal during those times.

Ie, say you usually play outside of primetime every day between “x & y” hours & expect 3-4 min pop windows on non weekend days & with in a week, the pop window grows to 6-8 mins. That’s 100% increase in wait times. Which makes it much more noticeable than say playing at primetime with 1-2 min wait that jumps to 2-3 mins.

When player numbers start to diminish in primetime & pop times get longer, you can hardly tell it’s happening. But when the same thing happens on the fringes or outside of primetime, those trends are very noticeable (it’s a bit like a canary in a coal mine for PvP issues).

Sadly, once pop times exceed the 8 min mark, it snowballs really fast because people get sick of waiting or the queue pops really uneven team numbers & people quit queuing after a couple of those pops.

And I’m seeing the primetime hours & the those fringe hours around them already shrinking again. Similar to how it’s always played out on other servers that PvP has died on. Unfortunately this time, it’s on SF. Which means it’s probably started the final death cycle of swtor PvP 😞