Video Editing Software for eejits?

Jazulfi

Hello all o/

Not sure where to put this so hope this is alright.  Can anyone recommend a free video editing suite for beginners, that isn't so basic as to be useless but not so professional as to be incomprehensible? I'm *quite* a quick study with software if it gets me off the ground at a reasonable pace. I'd also be interested if there are any online courses you'd recommend.

I'd want to learn and thought I'd use some SWTOR game recordings as a basis, and like a million other people, possibly post the results somewhere. Or not.

Anyway, any insight/advice very gratefully received.

Many thanks and have a top weekend. :)

If it's free (in the sense of not costing money)(1), then downloading it and trying it to see if it works for you will cost you only time(2).

(1) As opposed to free meaning liberty.  This is a debate that languages like French do not have, since the two words are gratuit (no money cost) and libre (no liberty cost).

(2) Unless your Internet access is provided by barbarians who charge you per GB (or, worse, per MB) if you go over a monthly download allowance.

6 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

If it's free (in the sense of not costing money)(1), then downloading it and trying it to see if it works for you will cost you only time(2).

(1) As opposed to free meaning liberty.  This is a debate that languages like French do not have, since the two words are gratuit (no money cost) and libre (no liberty cost).

(2) Unless your Internet access is provided by barbarians who charge you per GB (or, worse, per MB) if you go over a monthly download allowance.

Well yes, I could try them all but I don't particularly want to waste my time and brain-space learning bits of one and then have to learn those bits all over again with a different package over and over again. I don't think this is competely unreasonable. ;)

1) You are a daft cake - why would I be asking about my freedom to use software? Were I in a country where my liberties might be compromised by using software/the internet I wouldn't be posting a thing about it on the SWTOR forums.

2) My service provider is Visigothnet, They only allow downloads in order of Menhirbytes and I have to pay my monthly bill via barter system, mainly chickens, pottery and beads.

Just now, Jazulfi said:

1) You are a daft cake - why would I be asking about my freedom to use software? Were I in a country where my liberties might be compromised by using software/the internet I wouldn't be posting a thing about it on the SWTOR forums.

There are two things called "free software":

• Software that the publisher doesn't charge money for.
  • Software whose licence conditions meet specific criteria, allowing people to be free (at liberty) to copy it, modify it, and so on.  Those criteria don't actually forbid charging money for providing copies (e.g. to cover the cost of physical media - CDs or DVDs or the like - or support contracts), but they do say that the seller isn't allowed to prevent the buyer from making copies and giving them to others.

Just now, SteveTheCynic said:

There are two things called "free software":

• Software that the publisher doesn't charge money for.
  • Software whose licence conditions meet specific criteria, allowing people to be free (at liberty) to copy it, modify it, and so on.  Those criteria don't actually forbid charging money for providing copies (e.g. to cover the cost of physical media - CDs or DVDs or the like - or support contracts), but they do say that the seller isn't allowed to prevent the buyer from making copies and giving them to others.

Ohhh ok - my apologies.

6 minutes ago, Jazulfi said:

2) My service provider is Visigothnet, They only allow downloads in order of Menhirbytes and I have to pay my monthly bill via barter system, mainly chickens, pottery and beads.

OK, that made me laugh, but in the context, charging for going over a monthly download limit on ADSL/cable/fibre (cellular/satellite might be different) is a form of barbarism in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

OK, that made me laugh, but in the context, charging for going over a monthly download limit on ADSL/cable/fibre (cellular/satellite might be different) is a form of barbarism in my opinion.

*cries* I just wanted to know if anyone had any editing software recommendations for the beginner. :(

3 hours ago, Jazulfi said:

*cries* I just wanted to know if anyone had any editing software recommendations for the beginner. :(

why not use microsoft clipchamp since thats maybe easy to use also its free to download in the microsoft store on you pc if you have windows 10 or higher

• 2 weeks later...

I used a program called Shotcut that seemed okay. It's free and open source, and supports all major PC operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux). You can find tutorials online. It's still pretty complicated though. It took me a few hours to create a simple video with a static image and music, but you get faster as you get used to it. I'm not sure if it works like other video editors (i.e. if skills learned using his program can transfer to other video editing programs).

Edited by ThanderSnB