few questions about races and companions

kurtarhan

Hello friends. I have a couple questions regarding races and companions. Probably simple knowledge but I failed to find them myself. My first question is regarding races. Is there a anything gained by playing a certain race to a certain point, apart from unlocking it for other classes? For example do I get anything by playing as human or cyborg (which are open to all classes) to some certain level or story point? Especially do they carry anything over to other characters of the legacy? I came across some "presence" about humans regarding companions on the internet but they are written way before and hard to say how many old informations are still accurate after all this time with all the updates.

About companions my first question is my first storyline companion came with three customization options but none of the followings did. Is it normal, or am I doing something wrong, or did I experience some technical issue? Is the initial three customization options limited to first companion? Second question is, it took me a while to realise that items have no effect on companions, and had given the first two guys some gear that look strange on them (for stats). Now I want to change it. Is there a way to restore their original gear or find something to fit them, do they have cosmetic gears designed for them, apart from customizations? And lastly, it is about transfer and romance. Does a character get to romance with more than one companion? Do they romance with transferred companions? And if so, does the previos romance of the companion have effect on this? Also does pre-transfer influence have any effect? Do companions carry influence to the next character when transferred or is it reset?

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-companions-guide/

Races are mostly cosmetic, some npcs react different to humans/purebloods and aliens but it's minor.  There's a small bonus for chiss imperial agents on Hoth, I think that's about it for differences.  Mostly things play out the same no matter what race your PC is.

Check your legacy perks, getting all the original races (the ones you can see in the legacy) to level 50 (or buying the unlock with credits) gives you extra presence, which makes your companions stronger.  Nothing really needed though.

You only get the 3 free customizations for your first class companion.  You can buy customizations (for credits) from the customizations vendors you find on various planets.  Belsavis is a good one to travel to, the customization vendor there has all the available customizations for the original class companions.  There are more custizations availabe from various reputation and other vendors as well the cartel market.

Gear on companions is purely cosmetic.  Dress them up however you want to.  They do need a weapon for their abilites to work, but you can use the one they came with, since the stats won't matter.

Check swtorista's various companion related guides for in-depth things about romance, influence, ect.

11 hours ago, kurtarhan said:

Now I want to change it. Is there a way to restore their original gear or find something to fit them, do they have cosmetic gears designed for them

If you kept the original gear, just give it back to the companion, but in general, companions that have gear slots can wear any gear you like in them, so go crazy.  If you feel that Quinn should be wearing a pink tutu(1), find a tutu(2), dye it pink, and put it on him.

(1) For reasons that will become clear when you play through the Sith Warrior story, I feel this is an entirely appropriate way of dressing Quinn.

(2) Sadly, this might prove difficult.

Edited by SteveTheCynic
  • Like 1