Expand Dantooine

Ai_no_Kishi

I've been running around Dantooine today, peeked past the map borders, and it made me think again of how small it is. There is so much more outside of the map we're given to explore. Why not allow us to explore some more?

Perhaps, set one of the expansions here. Add a proper quest chain(+side quests). Maybe add Khoonda settlement(it could serve as the main base for the Republic, while the Empire would get another... cave?), let people access the Jedi Enclave(as a location, instead of just a flashpoint), Crystal Cave and a few other, maybe new, places. Add a Dantooine farm stronghold.

It also would require a minimum amount of new assets, compared to adding a new planet/original location. And would play on nostalgia as well. A rather good idea, no?

Edited by Ai_no_Kishi
  • Like 11

On 8/27/2023 at 10:09 AM, Ai_no_Kishi said:

I've been running around Dantooine today, peeked past the map borders, and it made me think again of how small it is. There is so much more outside of the map we're given to explore. Why not allow us to explore some more?

Perhaps, set one of the expansions here. Add a proper quest chain(+side quests). Maybe add Khoonda settlement(it could serve as the main base for the Republic, while the Empire would get another... cave?), let people access the Jedi Enclave(as a location, instead of just a flashpoint), Crystal Cave and a few other, maybe new, places. Add a Dantooine farm stronghold.

It also would require a minimum amount of new assets, compared to adding a new planet/original location. And would play on nostalgia as well. A rather good idea, no?

Yes...I would LOVE a Dantooine farm stronghold.

• Like 1

The entire planet of Dantooine was a waste of time, money and programing effort. It only gets used a few times a year. It needs to be a permanent part of the game complete will a story and NPC's all the time. Not just a part time planet that only get used occasionally. Plus I agree it needs to be expanded by allot, give us more of the planet to explore, not just the tiny little area we now have access to.

Vandin is another wasted effort only to used once then forgotten.

Edited by denavin
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:08 PM, denavin said:

It needs to be a permanent part of the game

It *is* a permanent part of the game.  Once you have your ship, you can go there any time you want.  Of course, there isn't much to do outside the Pirate and Swoop events (pedantry: the Secrets of the Enclave flashpoint happens on Dantooine), but the place itself is there all the time.

Of course, the problem is that for the "I watched the films (and that's all)" folks, Dantooine is just a place that will have an abandoned Rebel base somewhat more than 3600 years in the game's future, so it has no special attachment.  (It's also a place full of farms and giant insects(1), which is a major turn-off in my books(2).)  That makes its nostalgia value essentially nil for those "films-only" people, and the development team does have to balance developing nostalgia things and developing actual new stuff.

That said, in and of itself, without reference to any game that might be called Knights of the Old Republic, it has potential to be developed in various ways, something like the new stuff on Voss, because there *really* isn't very much there outside those two events.

I'm saying that I *support* adding more stuff there, but not because of KOTOR nostalgia.

(1) Ref: a conversation during one of the KotFE chapters, either VI or VIII, don't remember which.

(2) Charr Homelands - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW) and False Death - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW) .(3)

(3) The "Cynique" in the discussion tab for False Death is me.

• 4 weeks later...

Give me a Dantooine stronghold please. :t_smile:

An area with 5 structure (4 farms/houses + 1 barn) with the same size to the other ones we find on Dantooine and a (big) field to cultivate.

Some examples what I have in my mind or we could have:

https://i.imgur.com/2BgAr4V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Kbefg5L.jpg

What we could see in the distance when we are in our stronghold (how I see Dantooine in my mind and in KOTOR):

https://i.imgur.com/vJZYkeW.jpg

It could be the perfect thing for a Dantooine stronghold

Edited by orichichan

I'd prefer to see Broadsword develop playable content, both solo and multiplayer, than another small area to fill with decoration sales.

We just saw a new stronghold last Galactic Season on Mek-Sha. The game needs new areas, story updates, FPs, a new WZ mode, fixes for all the bugs in R-4 and a revamp of SM to make it reasonable for PUG groups, some love for GSF, among many other more pressing concerns. 

• Like 1

Strongholds are a big part of my playing time with decorations on swtor so having a new stronghold would be welcomed. This stronghold should be a medium stronghold, bigger than Mek-Sha (Mek-Sha stronghold was pretty small for me even if it's a fun stronghold). Another point is we wait a Dantooine stronghold since a long time now. And of course I don't speak about Voss, Onderon and Zakuul strongholds.

But of course, I can understand what you says very well. I think it's possible to do the both in the same time.

Edited by orichichan