The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

"Ceremonial Beskar Lightsaber" - Darksaber-inspired Lightsaber

We've been getting a lot of Mandalorian-related content lately. We've also gotten a lot of items inspired by things from the show The Mandalorian. WHY DO WE NOT HAVE A DARKSABER-INSPIRED WEAPON???

The best explanations I've heard are that the Darksaber doesn't "exist" yet. Well, even if that were true, Kylo Ren's lightsaber doesn't exist yet and we still got the Defiant Vented Lightsaber and the Dark Honor Guard's Unstable Lightsaber.

I'm not saying it has to look EXACTLY like the Darksaber, but similar enough to where people could roleplay as Tarre Vizsla if they wanted to.

So PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE Bioware/Broadsword, PLLLLLEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEE give us a darksaber.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 6:01 PM, HunterKyleAvery said:

We've been getting a lot of Mandalorian-related content lately. We've also gotten a lot of items inspired by things from the show The Mandalorian. WHY DO WE NOT HAVE A DARKSABER-INSPIRED WEAPON???

The best explanations I've heard are that the Darksaber doesn't "exist" yet. Well, even if that were true, Kylo Ren's lightsaber doesn't exist yet and we still got the Defiant Vented Lightsaber and the Dark Honor Guard's Unstable Lightsaber.

I'm not saying it has to look EXACTLY like the Darksaber, but similar enough to where people could roleplay as Tarre Vizsla if they wanted to.

Because it is a one of kind Lightsaber created by George Lucas himself for the Clone Wars series. He was very particular on the fact that it was a one of a kind Lightsaber. A lot of people don't realize it's a Lightsaber, they think it's just a vibro-weapon.

People would just want the Dark Saber,not something that's just reminiscent of it. And they would just say it was the Dark Saber anyways.

Regarding the explanations of others you mentioned. Just in case your interested (my apologies if you're not.)

"The Darksaber. That was a big deal. And again that was an idea that came straight from George. Originally what Pre Vizsla was carrying was something in the EU called a vibroblade; it's kind of an electric sword. George let me get away with it in the early phases of design and in the early shooting, but when the color came back and he was watching the lightsaber we want to have combating this vibroblade, he said there's no way that can happen; there's no way that a non-lightsaber could block a lightsaber. So he had us do away with the vibroblade in that episode really late in the game, and he created something called the Darksaber, which would be a black-bladed energy saber with a white edge. It has a crackle of electricity; it's kind of like a more ancient version of a lightsaber, and it's inferred in the episode that it's really one of a kind and that Pre Vizsla's ancestors stole it from the Jedi in the days of the Old Republic. So it's got all this neat history attached to it right away, and it sounds different."

~ Dave Filoni, IGN Interview - The Clone Wars - The Mandolorians in Lucas Canon, 2010
https://ibb.co/89C2g39

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/01/28/star-wars-are-you-ready-for-the-mandalorians

Regarding it's history -

"The Darksaber was an ancient and unique black-bladed lightsaber created by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order, around 1050 BBY. The weapon was kept in the Jedi Temple after Vizsla's passing, but members of House Vizsla stole the saber in a conflict with the Jedi during the fall of the Old Republic. The Darksaber was passed down, generation to generation, by the ancestors of Pre Vizsla, who held onto the weapon even after the pacifist ideals of the New Mandalorians replaced the warrior ways of Mandalore. "

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber

So as the game takes place before the fall of the Old Republic, it would be impossible for it to be around in this game's universe time frame. That info is canon and while the game isn't canon I don't think it should just up and pretend like the weapon has no established history or it being that it is a one of a kind artifact.

Because it was hold up that whole time, there'd be no reason other people would make something like it, most people would never have known it even existed in this time frame.

Furthermore, from a game play point of view, there are other problems. As the Darksaber is a Lightsaber, that would mean it would require the Lightsaber proficency to use it, which no non Force user in this game has. Even the Mandalorian needed to be trained to use it because it's not a vibro-weapon.

Having a million people running around with Darksabers when it's a one of a kind weapon and it's hold up in a Jedi Temple during the Old Republic raises further issues with the idea.

So I don't imagine they will ever introduce it into the game. I get the draw, it's a cool weapon, but it just wouldn't make any sense.

Sure, if you wanna say it's not actually the Dark Saber, it just looks like it, it still spoils it's uniqueness and wouldn't really have been seen as a 'one of a kind' thing and would make it far less special IMO. But, that's just my opinion, others might take a different view.

I get what you're saying in your analogy of Kylo Ren's saber, and quite honestly, I also think that's stupid and doesn't make any sense and they shouldn't have done it. Again, that's just my opinion.

Lastly, regarding RPing as Tarre Vizsla, I don't believe he was even born yet in the time frame of the game, even in the game's version of the universe. Steve would probably know, my knowledge of the Star Wars universe is specific to the canon universe as set by Lucas.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Lastly, regarding RPing as Tarre Vizsla, I don't believe he wasn't even born yet in the time frame of the game, even in the game's version of the universe. Steve would probably know, my knowledge of the Star Wars universe is specific to the canon universe as set by Lucas.

In fact, the answer to this is in a combination of some text you cited earlier in your post, with the game's known setting, starting around 3642 BBY.  Specifically this text:

2 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

"The Darksaber was an ancient and unique black-bladed lightsaber created by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order, around 1050 BBY.

To RP this in the game's proper timeline, that would imply that Tarre Vizsla was more than two and half thousand years old when inducted into the Jedi Order, which seems ... unlikely.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

In fact, the answer to this is in a combination of some text you cited earlier in your post, with the game's known setting, starting around 3642 BBY.  Specifically this text:

Okay, gotcha. I wasn't really sure of the year BBY that this game takes place in. Just that it was sometime in the Old Republic era in this game's universe.

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

To RP this in the game's proper timeline, that would imply that Tarre Vizsla was more than two and half thousand years old when inducted into the Jedi Order, which seems ... unlikely.

Hahahaha.

So, if my math is right (and my math is usually terrible), not only was Tarre Vizsla not born yet in this game's universe time frame, he wouldn't be born yet for another 2,500 years.

And being as though he's the guy in-universe who created the Dark Saber, there's no chance it could be in this game's time frame. It also wouldn't be created for 2,500 years yet.

Did I get that right, or did I get it exactly backwards? (Yes, my math is that bad.)

Once again, thanks for being Johnny on the Spot with the info. Can always count on you to get the info right for this game. You're my go to guy for these kinds of questions (That being pretty much everything to do with the game.) You're a gem for the forums Brother.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

What's really confusing is the Beskad Blade CM weapon that came out years ago has a tuning slot but the Ceremonial Beskad Blade doesn't.

I would like to see more amazing vibroblade weapons like D-R3D uses but we can't equip.

Edited by Darkestmonty

5 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

And being as though he's the guy in-universe who created the Dark Saber, there's no chance it could be in this game's time frame. It also wouldn't be created for 2,500 years yet.

Did I get that right, or did I get it exactly backwards? (Yes, my math is that bad.)

You're definitely right there.

5 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Once again, thanks for being Johnny on the Spot with the info. Can always count on you to get the info right for this game. You're my go to guy for these kinds of questions (That being pretty much everything to do with the game.) You're a gem for the forums Brother.

Glad to help.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 6:01 PM, HunterKyleAvery said:

So PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE Bioware/Broadsword, PLLLLLEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEE give us a darksaber.

Players can create their own 'Darksaber' weapon with the black-silver crystal set found on the ranked PVP vendor. 

The blade doesn't look right with every hilt in the game, but there are several that appear very similar when used. This is your best bet.

• 3 weeks later...

And what about those that don't PvP? No way to get said crystal.

I think an inspired looking Dark Saber may work providing it does not look to similar to the actual Dark Saber. Heck we have the Mandalorian Nomad armor wich is basically Din Djarin's armor sans a few details like the cape and bandolier and gloves, but it is as they say close enough to get the job done without it being a carbon copy.

The only thing then is them releasing a dark looking kyber crystal, and we would be good to go.

Edited by Otowi