"You cannot travel to a stronghold from this area"

Shayddow

This message pops up when you are in spaceports and such - I understand. However, this message popped up when I was on Tatooine after completing one of the Galactic seasons quests, near the wreckage crashed ship that is close to the Republic base in the Dune Sea (This was on a republic toon). So in an open world area.  So I don't understand why I was getting the message in this area (I then went to the base and then I could travel to the Stronghold).

• Like 3

On 6/18/2023 at 9:45 AM, Dayshadow said:

The cantina on Hutta gave me this message too. Not sure what this is about or why they would impliment it.

It could be that there were a lot of people posting about a workaround to the QT (and travel from stronghold) fees which involved going to your stronghold, logging out, then logging back in. Or it could be they wanted to make sure more people used quick travel by making it impossible to go to your stronghold without either using quick travel or motoring halfway across the planet to get to a zone where you could. Let's hope it's just a glitch and wasn't a premeditated change.

16 hours ago, DWho said:

It could be that there were a lot of people posting about a workaround to the QT (and travel from stronghold) fees which involved going to your stronghold, logging out, then logging back in. Or it could be they wanted to make sure more people used quick travel by making it impossible to go to your stronghold without either using quick travel or motoring halfway across the planet to get to a zone where you could. Let's hope it's just a glitch and wasn't a premeditated change.

You just go outside the cantina and you can QT.

the problem is, the goal is to be in a planets rest zone when you log out. If you go to the stronghold to deposit credits, put stuff in your legacy bank, etc., then go back to the rest area it is much more convenient for the player. 

5 hours ago, Dayshadow said:

You just go outside the cantina and you can QT.

In general, you can't quick travel to a stronghold from Sanctuary zones (which is what the cantina is). The issue is that entire zones, which prior to 7.3 you could quick travel from, you now can't. They seem to be misidentified as sanctuary zones.

Edited by DWho
clarified QT as to a stronghold

4 hours ago, denavin said:

Did that .... Doesn't work....

Hmmm. Worked for me on the walkway ramp going into Jiguna. I was also able to go to Stronghold directly from the Korriban cantina. So maybe it's a bug.

1 hour ago, DWho said:

In general, you can't quick travel to a stronghold from Sanctuary zones (which is what the cantina is). The issue is that entire zones, which prior to 7.3 you could quick travel from, you now can't. They seem to be misidentified as sanctuary zones.

I had been able to travel to a stronghold from any location. It wasn't until 7.3 that I wasn't able to do so from the cantina on Hutta. But I'm assuming this is unintentional because I can travel to a stronghold from the Korriban Academy Cantina. 

6 hours ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

I travel from 'sanctuary' zones all the time.  Every time I make a new alt it's load in, escape from opening cutscene, travel to sh, customize, go back.  

Did they break that?  Yay, more reasons besides the horrible new levelling to never make another new alt.

I mispoke. The starter planet Sanctuary zones seem to work fine so you should still be able to do what you are doing. There are several areas, since 7.3, that are preventing you from traveling to your stronghold (whereas before 7.3 you could). The largest one I encountered is a whole section on Makeb (where you do the GSI dig up transmitters mission). As far as I can tell, the entire area now disallows traveling to your stronghold (you have to return to near the Imperial Landing Zone). There are other smaller areas on several other planets.

1 hour ago, Darcmoon said:

Had this issue on Aborro Mesa on Makeb after finishing one of the dailies.  If it is a intended change, they need to let us know.  If it is a bug, I'm puzzled how it could be so random.

I checked the patch notes for recent patches, and did not find any mentions about this, so I think its safe to assume that its a bug.

Dromund Kaas outside the dark temple, was getting the same message.

The weird thing is that quicktravel worked, but the 'you cannot travel to sh from this area' still popped up.  Most areas (like spaceports) if you can't travel to stronghold, you also can't use quicktravel.

I'm not entirely sure this is a simple bug (or an actual bug and not a new 'feature), or why would quicktravel work when travel to stronghold doesn't?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 10:20 AM, LD_Little_Dragon said:

I'm not entirely sure this is a simple bug (or an actual bug and not a new 'feature), or why would quicktravel work when travel to stronghold doesn't?

Perhaps because QT has a credit cost associated with it and Travel to Stronghold doesn't. Makes it seem like it's intended.

57 minutes ago, DWho said:

Perhaps because QT has a credit cost associated with it and Travel to Stronghold doesn't. Makes it seem like it's intended.

If it was intended, it should have been in the patchnotes.

There's no reason to restrict the ability to pop up to my stronghold at the end of a play session without playing stop-and-go for several-hundred in-game meters to figure out exactly where the anti-stronghold boundary ends.

EDIT: Also, there's already a "tax" to exit the stronghold anywhere other than where you were previously, so the tax argument doesn't hold water anyway.

Edited by Crystal_Mind

6 minutes ago, Crystal_Mind said:

EDIT: Also, there's already a "tax" to exit the stronghold anywhere other than where you were previously, so the tax argument doesn't hold water anyway.

The original version of the tax (as it debuted on the PTS) included going to your stronghold from anywhere. The backlash was pretty extreme considering the millions it took to unlock strongholds in the first place. (Some of us actually bought those strongholds when millions was a significant amount of credits). There is also a "work-around" for paying the tax for leaving your stronghold.

27 minutes ago, DWho said:

The original version of the tax (as it debuted on the PTS) included going to your stronghold from anywhere. The backlash was pretty extreme considering the millions it took to unlock strongholds in the first place. (Some of us actually bought those strongholds when millions was a significant amount of credits). There is also a "work-around" for paying the tax for leaving your stronghold.

I am aware of what the original version of the tax was. Since it didn't go live, it's irrelevant to the discussion. (Especially since the bug at-hand is not a tax, but a full-on block on stronghold travel with unknown, uncommunicated, and seemingly-random bounds).

If you know of an exploit, report it.

My points stand.

Edited by Crystal_Mind

On 7/6/2023 at 10:47 AM, Crystal_Mind said:

I am aware of what the original version of the tax was. Since it didn't go live, it's irrelevant to the discussion. (Especially since the bug at-hand is not a tax, but a full-on block on stronghold travel with unknown, uncommunicated, and seemingly-random bounds).

If you know of an exploit, report it.

The locations themselves are not random, in fact they are very specific. In all three cases listed here so far they are locations where the majority of players would want to use return to stronghold instead of quick travel to a taxi point (these areas are typically where you finish a daily, open world heroic, world boss, or similar mission where you don't need to return to a quest giver). The mechanism of them is fairly simple and has nothing to do with random borders. A block within a zone (as opposed to an entire zone) has either four corners defined or a center point and a radius (it's really that simple). The game checks if you are in that zone and if you are blocks whatever transport mode it is assigned to. You may not know what the logic used for defining the area is but that does not make it random, un-communicated yes, but that is likely the whole point (had they said in the patch notes they were instituting additional travel blocks, how do you think that would have gone over. Better to pretend it's a "bug" they can't fix or ignore the 'Bug" reports).

These blocks are totally new areas introduced specifically with the latest update (they weren't on the PTS at all - I ran those missions there to see what the QT costs would be and there was no block on stronghold travel). There is no region nearby where they could have been displaced from (and the areas that used to block transport still do). There have been lots of times where "updates" have been added to the game without including them in the patch notes.

While it is not in itself a tax, it causes you to have to use travel modes that are taxed (like QT) or use up time moving to the edge of the prohibited zone. Has anyone tried travel to ship or one of the other unlockable Legacy "Quick Travels". It would be interesting to see if all travel besides QT is blocked.

The "workaround" is no more an exploit than using heroic transports (or the daily mission from the activities menu) to jump from planet to planet without paying travel costs is (same as it was before the last update). Is doing the planetary daily missions (or not doing them) an exploit?