Transmog is no longer free?

HisShadowX

So I have been a member since the BETA. What happened to transmog it used to be free to customize at will your character. Now you have to pay credit fee each time you update your character via the outfit slot? Not only do you need to but multiple ones but you cant just simply edit it.... wtf man

This ruined transmog. Sorry if I am late to the party I heard the rumblings about two years or a year ago with the 7. something patch that screwed up the game but wow 

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, HisShadowX said:

Yes, as I mentioned I have been gone for a while and this is a horrible change

It is not a change.

Outfits have never been free.  It's always been a credit fee per armor slot to set up an outfit, and a credit fee per slot to change an outfit.  This has not changed.  The Outfitter had fees with it from the very beginning.

Changing the gear you're wearing is free.  Having the gear you're currently wearing display instead of an outfit is also free.   So if you have enough bag space to store the gear sets you can have probably 4 to 6 different looks linked to specific Loadouts.  So it's a bit more convenient than it used to be when you had to manually change gear.   The downside of course, it that it may constrain what stats are on your gear depending on what look you're going for and of course a lot of your storage space gets taken up by gear.   On the other hand, cargo space is based on a time where people would often have a PvP heal set, a PvP dps set, a PvE heal set, a PvE dps set, etc. so carrying 4 to 6 sets of gear isn't really that much of a handicap if you have all slots unlocked in your bags.

The option to display the gear you're wearing is not really highlighted in the UI, so you may have to look closely to find it in the new UI if you wish to opt out of using the Outfitter.

Edited by Ramalina
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ramalina said:

It is not a change.

Outfits have never been free.  It's always been a credit fee per armor slot to set up an outfit, and a credit fee per slot to change an outfit.  This has not changed.  The Outfitter had fees with it from the very beginning.

Changing the gear you're wearing is free.  Having the gear you're currently wearing display instead of an outfit is also free.   So if you have enough bag space to store the gear sets you can have probably 4 to 6 different looks linked to specific Loadouts.  So it's a bit more convenient than it used to be when you had to manually change gear.   The downside of course, it that it may constrain what stats are on your gear depending on what look you're going for and of course a lot of your storage space gets taken up by gear.   On the other hand, cargo space is based on a time where people would often have a PvP heal set, a PvP dps set, a PvE heal set, a PvE dps set, etc. so carrying 4 to 6 sets of gear isn't really that much of a handicap if you have all slots unlocked in your bags.

The option to display the gear you're wearing is not really highlighted in the UI, so you may have to look closely to find it in the new UI if you wish to opt out of using the Outfitter.

I would rather waste cargo space as I did long before you had played this game then pay a fee each and every time I wanted to transmog lets say a helmet.  This is as backwards as the developers having a Guild Summit to promise the hardcore minority there will never be a dungeon finder and the game will never cater to casuals after it was announced this game would be the next casual friendly WoW Killer.  After  two million people left and those were fired we got everything we needed. 

Its so sad to come back to this game and see they fixed so much yet progressed to slowly on adding features paying customers who are not of a minority would like. Like gamepad support or a console port.  The game is so good and I like the fixes but I feel like I am being nickeled and dimed.  At least when ESO does it, it makes sense.

Oh yeah the developers who developed this game also went over and made ESO in which that game failed because they rinsed and repeated and they had to completely remake that game and of course fire those developers, again. 

Edited by HisShadowX
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, HisShadowX said:

I would rather waste cargo space as I did long before you had played this game then pay a fee each and every time I wanted to transmog lets say a helmet.  This is as backwards as the developers having a Guild Summit to promise the hardcore minority there will never be a dungeon finder and the game will never cater to casuals after it was announced this game would be the next casual friendly WoW Killer.  After  two million people left and those were fired we got everything we needed. 

Its so sad to come back to this game and see they fixed so much yet progressed to slowly on adding features paying customers who are not of a minority would like. Like gamepad support or a console port.  The game is so good and I like the fixes but I feel like I am being nickeled and dimed.  At least when ESO does it, it makes sense.

Oh yeah the developers who developed this game also went over and made ESO in which that game failed because they rinsed and repeated and they had to completely remake that game and of course fire those developers, again. 

I'm not certain you actually understand how any of this works:

1. Outfitter is not the same as Transmog (which this game has never had) as I've seen the term used before.
    1. 'Transmog' usually refers to modifying the appearance of a specific piece of equipment so it looks like another piece of equipment, which means you need to apply it to each new piece of equipment you acquire to maintain the same appearance.
    2. 'Outfitter' allows you to store one or more ensembles as pure graphics that you can use regardless of whatever gear you are actually wearing, which means you can equip new gear and maintain the same appearance without any further investment.
      1. One minor downside of Outfitter is that it still works even if you have no gear on at all, which means you need to pay attention if you ever strip the gear off your character for some reason...
  2. Outfitter has been available for many years (it goes back to patch 3.2 in April 2015 from what I can see) and has NEVER been free, but the costs are fairly reasonable
    1. You first 'outfit' is free, but having additional outfits will cost you a bit.
    2. Assigning an individual piece to an 'outfit' will cost you a little bit (like one mission reward's worth of credits or so) and is adjusted for your level (lower level characters pay less per piece than higher level characters).
    3. There is a general assumption that you won't actually be tweaking your outfit a lot once you come up with a look you like:  I mean, you might, but it's generally not necessary.
  3. The issue with 7.0 was the fact that the removal of mods from most gearing paths meant that players couldn't keep using their favorite 'modded' weapon shells and Outfitter didn't store weapon images at that time (it was a feature that was supposed to be available in 7.0 but was delayed): 
    1. It took Bioware a little while to get weapons added to Outfitter (patch 7.0.2 I believe)
    2. There is still an 'issue' since 7.0 introduced secondary combat styles which means that a specific outfit featuring a weapon might not be usable by your 'other' combat style, but this has been somewhat bypassed with the return of modded gear.
      1. Basically, if your Commando puts an assault cannon in an outfit, that outfit won't be usable in any other style because none of the other styles can use an assault cannon.
      2. On the other hand, Vanguard/Operative, Mercenary/Gunslinger, (Sage or Sorcerer)/(Guardian or Juggernaut), and Scoundrel/Powertech should have 100% outfit compatibility.
      3. With all other pairings, you either need to leave your weapons out of the outfit or create separate outfits for each style.
  4. If you haven't been paying attention, in game inflation has been a major concern for the last couple of years and any 'credit sink' like outfitter is generally seen as a good thing.
    1. Honestly, it doesn't remove nearly enough credits from the economy to really count as a proper 'sink' but it removes a little bit and every little bit probably helps.
    2. Remember, if you have nothing to spend your credits on, then your credits are in fact worthless...

ADDENDUM:  Here's a fairly recent guide: https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-outfitter-guide/

ADDENDUM 2:  I just checked at the cost to add an item to an outfit at 80 is 17,826 credits, which should be less than a single daily mission reward

Edited by Ominovin
Addendum
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I have been playing this game for 10 years, I have never heard the term 'Transmog ' used in any reference to SWTOR before, in game, on these forums, on reddit or any other venue.

Transmog is the system World of Warcraft had around the time this game launched and as I mentioned in my post it involved changing the graphics of a specific equipment piece.

I haven't been back to WoW in a decade, so I'm not certain if the system still works that way...

• Like 1

Transmogrification comes from Calvin and Hobbes cartoons, and WoW picked up that term to use as a name for their cosmetic gear overwrite system.  By the time SWTOR came up with Outfitter as a system "Transmog" had passed into general use as a name for a game character gear appearance modification system.

Cardboard box, permanent marker, and tinkertoys not included.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ominovin said:

Transmog is the system World of Warcraft had around the time this game launched and as I mentioned in my post it involved changing the graphics of a specific equipment piece.

Ahh, well that certainly explains why I never heard the term before. I tried to play WoW a handful of years ago, but the graphics were so god awful I couldn't get past the starter area!

27 minutes ago, Ominovin said:

I haven't been back to WoW in a decade, so I'm not certain if the system still works that way...

a lot of games now use the term transmog so may as well just call outfits transmog

2 hours ago, HisShadowX said:

I would rather waste cargo space as I did long before you had played this game then pay a fee each and every time I wanted to transmog lets say a helmet.

I thought you were trying to save credits. Removing old mods or buying new ones (as it was before outfitter) cost several times more than editing a piece in outfitter.

5 hours ago, HisShadowX said:

So I have been a member since the BETA. What happened to transmog it used to be free to customize at will your character. Now you have to pay credit fee each time you update your character via the outfit slot? Not only do you need to but multiple ones but you cant just simply edit it.... wtf man

This ruined transmog. Sorry if I am late to the party I heard the rumblings about two years or a year ago with the 7. something patch that screwed up the game but wow 

It’s always been a paid thing since the introduction of the CM. Personally I don’t ever remember it being free in the live game. So you must have been away a long time to think this is something new.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

14 hours ago, HisShadowX said:

How are you wrong about literally everything in this thread 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, HisShadowX said:

Gamepad support?  Console port?  Seriously?  Why would they even look into those?  You say "customers who are not of a minority" making it sound like most people are clammoring for gamepad support and a console port.  I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone ask for those.

Even WoW never ported over to consoles and their user base is way higher than SWTOR's.

So, just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing, including @HisShadowX, here's my take on the confusion:

• In WoW, "transmog" (short for transmogrification) is a system similar to skins and the Wardrobe in Guild Wars 2, where the player can change the appearance of a gear item.
  • SWTOR doesn't have a system like transmog.
  • Moddable gear (sometimes, and wrongly, called "adaptive"(1)) is an ordinary gear piece that has no stats of its own except a little bit of Armor, Tech Power or Force Power, with slots into which you can place stat-bearing items called "Modifications".  Removing modifications always cost credits, but these days costs a chunk less than in the past.  If you don't care about the existing modification, you can just overwrite it for free.
  • Moddable gear is not "transmog" because SWTOR does not have a system like transmog, and also because it doesn't do what transmog does.
  • The Outfit Designer (now called "Outfitter") was introduced in patch 3.2 in 2015.  It offers a set of paper-doll outfit slots into which you can stamp the appearance of pieces of gear.  These outfit slots are purely cosmetic, and it costs credits to add or change a piece of gear in them.  It has *always* cost credits to do that.  The closest analogy to Outfit Designer in non-SWTOR MMORPGs that I have played would be ESO's Outfits.
  • Outfit Designer is not "transmog" because SWTOR does not have a system like transmog, and also because it doesn't do what transmog does.
  • But above all, SWTOR does not have a system like transmog.

22 hours ago, Ominovin said:

FYI

This is not World of Warcraft. Please stop referring to SWTOR as World of Warcraft. They have NEVER been the same nor anywhere alike. Just because you find something in World of Warcraft does not mean it should be, can even be done or wanted in SWTOR.

I for one do not like WoW and definitely do not want SWTOR to look like, play like or become a WoW c;lone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/15/2023 at 4:51 PM, denavin said:

FYI

This is not World of Warcraft. Please stop referring to SWTOR as World of Warcraft. They have NEVER been the same nor anywhere alike. Just because you find something in World of Warcraft does not mean it should be, can even be done or wanted in SWTOR.

I for one do not like WoW and definitely do not want SWTOR to look like, play like or become a WoW c;lone.

That wasn't OP you quoted, that was the person explaining the WoW term OP used...not sure why you're going off on them, they were being helpful explaining the jargon OP used.