Banned for PayPal Steam Dispute

Notinthehair

Heads up.  I didn't know this was a thing.

My SWTOR account has been banned because I purchased a subscription from Steam which wasn't applied to my account (yes, I did all the troubleshooting).  After a few days of waiting after purchase I requested a refund which PayPal gave me right away, and I subscribed via the SWTOR site instead.

As of today, my SWTOR account which I have had since 2015 is banned, and my Steam account is frozen just because EA and Valve don't know how to play together.  I won't be disputing the ban because the game quality and its account issues just aren't worth it.

Edited by Notinthehair
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jedimasterjac said:

Yeah, pretty much any service is going to do that to you if you initiate a chargeback. That’s just how these things operate. 

Kind of sux given Steam fail to provide the service which people pay for.  Look at the reviews on the sub product on Steam.

Just now, Notinthehair said:

Kind of sux given Steam fail to provide the service which people pay for.  Look at the reviews on the sub product on Steam.

Sure, it is a known issue and it’s frustrating. 

I had it happen to me when I subscribed to steam. But I contacted swtor support, provided the information they asked, and they resolved the issue. I then started subscribing again through the site. 

The fact of the matter is, any problems aside, any online service will ban you permanently if you chargeback instead of trying to fix the issue through them directly. Sony does it. Microsoft does it. EA does it. 

Lesson learned.  But charge back aside I knew EA had a reputation for being dog sh*t but I had no idea just how bad they were.  Why should I have to contact support to get something I paid for applied?  Sony doesn't do it, Microsoft doesn't do it, Blizzard doesn't do it...

34 minutes ago, Notinthehair said:

Lesson learned.  But charge back aside I knew EA had a reputation for being dog sh*t but I had no idea just how bad they were.  Why should I have to contact support to get something I paid for applied?  Sony doesn't do it, Microsoft doesn't do it, Blizzard doesn't do it...

Because it was an error. You have to contact customer support - for any company - to fix an unintended error. 

10 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

Because it was an error. You have to contact customer support - for any company - to fix an unintended error. 

But it's not an error.  I would say given the length of time this has been occurring, the amount of reports, and the lack of action to actually resolve the issue it almost looks to be by design.

It would be a terrible design that makes no sense. The subscriber is already locked on for the month - intentionally making sure players don’t get to play would just mean they’re guaranteeing they don’t resubscribe. It makes no sense. 

9 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

It makes no sense. 

That's my point.  So why do they persist with requiring (wannabe) subscribers to contact support to apply something that should be automated?  Why do they make it so difficult for people to give them money?  Why continuously work around the issue instead of resolving it?  It's just incompetence.

Imagine being in a store and wanting to buy a shirt.  You find the shirt and you want to wear it right away so you pay for it.  Then, once money has changed hands the store clerk tells you there is no shirt here, and you have to figure out where to go to find the shirt you just paid for.  Now also imagine that you aren't happy with this so you contact your bank to cancel the payment because you did not receive the shirt you paid for and you weren't sure you ever would.  Then, the store clerk picked you up, tossed you out of the store and told you never to come back.

That is what EA is doing to customers.

Edited by Notinthehair

Not as obnoxious as your problem, but last week my card got rejected so I used a different one. The first card had and STILL HAS plent o money. It's my regular checking account. Where my work checks get deposited ffs lol. Any who, the other card worked fine, but now SWTOR wont let me use the 1st card for any thing. This is beyond ridiculous. I dont want to have to keep refilling my savings account because I have to use it for this game. This is THE ONLY game, company or any other entity that has done this to me. They are lucky this is the only gig in town, because Id leave for another SW mmo in a millisecond. 

It's time for star wars to adopt the top down action RPG model (Path of Exile and Diablo are the most well known example of this style of course, so that is what i meant)

5 hours ago, Notinthehair said:

Heads up.  I didn't know this was a thing.

My SWTOR account has been banned because I purchased a subscription from Steam which wasn't applied to my account (yes, I did all the troubleshooting).  After a few days of waiting after purchase I requested a refund which PayPal gave me right away, and I subscribed via the SWTOR site instead.

As of today, my SWTOR account which I have had since 2015 is banned, and my Steam account is frozen just because EA and Valve don't know how to play together.  I won't be disputing the ban because the game quality and its account issues just aren't worth it.

That's rough buddy. 

4 hours ago, Notinthehair said:

But it's not an error.  I would say given the length of time this has been occurring, the amount of reports, and the lack of action to actually resolve the issue it almost looks to be by design.

I think you're both in agreement. It is a bug not a feature, but also it's a known bug that they have done nothing to fix (like many bugs in this game). I could have been in your situation tbh--I used to buy my game time from the Origin deluxe bundle but when Origin got eaten by EA, I wasn't sure how to resub. I looked at the Steam thing but in the end I decided to just do it directly from the swtor website.  

It's a shame that so many great games (and swtor) require you to play on EA's platform. They really are the irl Sux0rz :rak_03:

Edited by Ardrossan

And when I try to cancel my recurring subscription via the SWTOR site I get:

"This account is not permitted to access the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ servers. An email notification has been sent to the email address associated with this account with more information about what this means and what steps may be taken to resolve the issue."

Meaning I can't prevent future payment from this end.  Good thing I can cancel it via PayPal.  EA and BW truly are parasites. 

EDIT: Oh, and to add, there was no email.  Not even one telling me I was banned.  I found out when I tried to log into the game.

Edited by Notinthehair

22 hours ago, wombatjake said:

Where my work checks get deposited ffs lol.

Slightly off topic, but what kind of barbarians do you work for(1) that still pays you by cheque?  (The last time I had that was 25 years ago, and that company was already behind the times.)

(1) No, you don't have to tell us the name of the company, just the kind of company it is.  (Well, and I can't oblige you to tell us even that...)

1 hour ago, Notinthehair said:

I am pretty sure that cheque would be shorthand for "direct deposit of wages".

Maybe.  That company I worked for back in the day that paid its staff by cheque really did do that.  Happily, they posted the cheques to the relevant bank rather than handing them to the employees, but it was jarring after having been paid for seven years by companies that did direct transfer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 12:42 AM, Notinthehair said:

Guess what, they are still charging me a subscription even though I am banned and I can't access me account to cancel.  All class.

Why don't you just contact the customer service, whose only purpose it is to help you with issues like that, instead of complaining about it on the forums? Your ban could have been lifted weeks ago. You can deny it, but this is your fault alone.

On 5/10/2023 at 11:24 PM, jedimasterjac said:

It would be a terrible design that makes no sense. The subscriber is already locked on for the month - intentionally making sure players don’t get to play would just mean they’re guaranteeing they don’t resubscribe. It makes no sense. 

I agree! I however heard interesting theory that because of steam takes 30% cut of income, it would make sense for them not to fix issues like this, as this makes many afraid to subscribe through steam as they see terrible (29% positive) ratings, so they would go to subscribe directly from the swtor website, which would increase their revenue quite a bit.

But thats again just funny theory and will most likely NOT be the correct reason :) But what would be more interesting that conspiracy theories!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 7:55 PM, Whykara said:

Why don't you just contact the customer service, whose only purpose it is to help you with issues like that, instead of complaining about it on the forums? Your ban could have been lifted weeks ago. You can deny it, but this is your fault alone.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us with your query regarding your Star Wars: The Old Republic account.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to assist you with your particular query, as our department is specifically dealing with disputes regarding sanctions applied against accounts due to violations of our Terms of Service.

There are no such sanctions showing on your Account.

For further assistance on this matter, please contact our SWTOR Customer Support via https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-support/

Thank you for your understanding.

Yours sincerely,

Star Wars (tm): The Old Republic(tm) Terms of Service

The account literally is banned from all server access.  Customer Service are unable to provide Customer Service.

This account is not permitted to access the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ servers.

An email notification has been sent to the email address associated with this account with more information about what this means and what steps may be taken to resolve the issue.

NOTE:  There was no email received notifying me of this issue.

Edited by Notinthehair