The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

RP-Phase zone

Malornaros

Hey!

A suggestion that's probably been made before but I think would be cool for the game!

I know that "RP" is a game mode that is often considered "minor" compared to PvE or PvP. However, there is a large community of RP players on SWTOR, regardless of the region.

Would it be possible to create a third "layer", as there are for PvE or PvP, dedicated to RP in which the phased areas for quests would be open and usable?

Its often frustrating not to be able to exploit the whole game during our Roleplay adventures and this layer would be really beneficial! What do you think ?

Edited by Malornaros
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Malornaros said:

Would it be possible to create a third "layer", as there are for PvE or PvP, dedicated to RP in which the phased areas for quests would be open and usable?

I suspect this would make the harassment RP players get even worse since the trolls would know exactly where to find them. The PVP and PVE zones don't exclude anyone from using them so it would be hard to create an RP zone that did (how would you determine who is rolepaying and who is a potential troll).

It's a nice idea, but very hard to implement. You could maybe do something with flashpoints and operations (instanced heroics too) by forcing a group up prior to using it since only one group at a time can be in those.

• Like 1

It would have the advantage of giving RPers no excuse for RPing in questing areas like the Dealer's Den or Slippery Slopes cantinas.  (Yes, there are mission phase walls in both of those cantinas.  Slippery Slopes is the one in the Lower Promenade of Nar Shaddaa, while Dealer's Den is on the way into the Migrant Merchants' Guild area of Coruscant.)

I like the idea on principle, but without the sort of enforcement that the developer would never provide, it would be useless. Darth_420SmokeEm69xXx would come into the instance as a lard Jedi, jump everywhere, dance on the tables, etc., same as anywhere else. We had whole RP servers once upon a time, and that was no better. I don't think a dedicated instance is going to matter. It would fill up with the snowball people within the hour.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Malornaros said:

Hey!

A suggestion that's probably been made before but I think would be cool for the game!

I know that "RP" is a game mode that is often considered "minor" compared to PvE or PvP. However, there is a large community of RP players on SWTOR, regardless of the region.

Its often frustrating not to be able to exploit the whole game during our Roleplay adventures and this layer would be really beneficial! What do you think ?

I’ve wished this was the case for years. It would be really nice. But I doubt it’ll happen. I’d settle for just getting one server back with an RP designation.

I'd be all for it. If Bioware fixes the blocking mechanism so it includes everything, including emotes, then it'd work. How hard it would be to implement, I don't know. RP instances for flashpoints at the very least would be great, since the best locations Bioware give us are always locked inside flashpoints :(

On 5/7/2023 at 1:46 AM, Malornaros said:

this isn't actually layering but defining an entirely new version of each open game world since phased areas are something hardcoded into the game's data

even leaving the "phased" areas empty, you'd still be adding a significant amount of game data, nearly duplicating a sizeable volume of files for almost no practical gain

and most RPers don't even consider using the current open areas, its all fleet or stronghold-based

What happens when two groups of people with very different ideas of what constitutes "rp" meet in the same space?  What RP is or isn't is entirely subjective - for some it is Star Wars, for others it is Space Balls.

Best bet is to keep RP to private instanced areas like Strongholds, Ships, and Guild Ships and then live with the chaos of the open world when you're there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Katahn said:

What happens when two groups of people with very different ideas of what constitutes "rp" meet in the same space?  What RP is or isn't is entirely subjective - for some it is Star Wars, for others it is Space Balls.

Best bet is to keep RP to private instanced areas like Strongholds, Ships, and Guild Ships and then live with the chaos of the open world when you're there.

The odds of stumbling upon another group doing something in the exact same spot you are intending to it's stupidly low outside of common spaces like outside the Tython temple, Korriban academy and Fleet cantinas. Having phased areas be open for use would be a massive win for DMs across the game. I lost count of how many times I've been into one-time phases and thought to myself "This would be amazing for an RP"

• Like 1