Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Check guild name?

AngharThallmar

3 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Sort of , by using the in-game 'who is online' search function ( within Friend list tab ) .

But bear in mind that:

• You have to check both factions, which may involve logging on to an opposite-faction character.
  • It is subject to what I call a "toctou" factor(1), so it isn't a guarantee.
  • Maybe at the moment you checked, nobody from the other guild was on-line, so /who wouldn't find them.

(1) "Time of Check, Time of Use" => you check to see if it is possible for you to do X ("time of check"), and between then and the moment that you *do* X ("time of use"), someone else did something that makes it impossible for you to do X.  It pops up often in static analysis checks of program code(2), but it should be easy to see how it applies in this applies to checking to see if a guild name exists and then trying to create a guild with that name.  Maybe someone else used the name between the moment when you checked and the moment you pressed "Confirm" on the creation.

(2) For the two remaining forum participants who don't know it, I've been a professional developer, although not of video games, since the beginning of 1989, which is only about 8 months away from being thirty five years.

20 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

For the two remaining forum participants who don't know it, I've been a professional developer, although not of video games, since the beginning of 1989, which is only about 8 months away from being thirty five years.

I swear you have this written on a notepad and copypaste it in every post 😂

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Thanks for acknowledging that you've been following my posts, but no, I type a new variation every time I feel the need to mention it.

If it makes you feel better i've been reading your posts for like 7 years and this is the first time I've seen your humblebrag :rak_01:. Congrats on 35 years developing! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.