Why 2 servers in the launcher?

AngharThallmar

Why are there 2 servers? No matter which one I go to it has access to my normal German server and to the test server.
Characters, legacy, unlocks...everything is the same.
The only difference is that the test server in the launcher updates itself every time, even if it is not much and goes fast.

You should not have acces to the PTS right now, unless you talk about the Shae Vizla. And you actively have to enable that one. If you have transferred your characters from Live to PTS then yes it is the same. If not, well, since you say it is the same GERMAN language on both servers, I doubt that it is the Shae Vizla PTS server. Try to take a few screenshots of the situation and send them to the dev team, since it sounds like an altogether new bug.

Edited by MortenJessen
Spelling English like an Englishman, sorry world.

10 hours ago, MortenJessen said:

You should not have acces to the PTS right now, unless you talk about the Shae Vizla. And you actively have to enable that one. If you have transferred your characters from Live to PTS then yes it is the same. If not, well, since you say it is the same GERMAN language on both servers, I doubt that it is the Shae Vizla PTS server. Try to take a few screenshots of the situation and send them to the dev team, since it sounds like an altogether new bug.

Actually you don’t have to manually enable the Shae Vizla test server like you usually do with the PTS. It will automatically be in the server list for everyone. All you have to do is click on it to try it out. 

8 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Actually you don’t have to manually enable the Shae Vizla test server like you usually do with the PTS. It will automatically be in the server list for everyone. All you have to do is click on it to try it out. 

That is weird, because I can not see Shae Vizla?? And for obvious reasons I can not see PTS either, so I will have to check out what is going on when I get back to my machine.

Ok, I relent. I can actually see Shae Vizla, but it was greyed out because I had (just made one) no toons there. Re-reading OP I just realized this:

On 4/8/2023 at 9:29 PM, AngharThallmar said:

No matter which one I go to it has access to my normal German server and to the test server

Making me think he means launchers... But if that is the case, it still does not explain if he means PTS or the new Shae Vizla. Because I can not remember if all servers are greyed out if you dont have toons on them (I now have on all servers but PTS). I guess if he does mean the PTS it IS quite weird.

35 minutes ago, MortenJessen said:

Ok, I relent. I can actually see Shae Vizla, but it was greyed out because I had (just made one) no toons there. Re-reading OP I just realized this:

Making me think he means launchers... But if that is the case, it still does not explain if he means PTS or the new Shae Vizla. Because I can not remember if all servers are greyed out if you dont have toons on them (I now have on all servers but PTS). I guess if he does mean the PTS it IS quite weird.

Shae Vizla is the PTS 

15 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Shae Vizla is the PTS 

No. The PTS is the PTS. Shae Vizla is, for now, an experimental APAC test server. PTS is down right now. Shae Vizla is not. Shae Vizla; Star Wars: The Old Republic | News, Updates, Developer Blogs (swtor.com)

Specifically this; 

This is opening in the APAC region?

Yes! We would especially love to hear from players who reside in the APAC region so please let us know what your overall experience is when providing feedback!

11 minutes ago, MortenJessen said:

No. The PTS is the PTS. Shae Vizla is, for now, an experimental APAC test server. PTS is down right now. Shae Vizla is not. Shae Vizla; Star Wars: The Old Republic | News, Updates, Developer Blogs (swtor.com)

Specifically this; 

They’ve repurposed the PTS AWS as Shae Vizla to test AWS in the APAC region. 

• Dev Post
On 4/8/2023 at 2:29 PM, AngharThallmar said:

Why are there 2 servers? No matter which one I go to it has access to my normal German server and to the test server.
Characters, legacy, unlocks...everything is the same.
The only difference is that the test server in the launcher updates itself every time, even if it is not much and goes fast.

I encourage you to reach out to support and supply some screenshots to them as it is not very clear what you are referring to. If you mean environments, there will only be two options, SWTOR and Public Test. Choosing the first would take you the list of live servers which should include: 

• Satele Shan
  • Star Forge
  • Darth Malgus
  • Shae Vizla (APAC Test Server)
  • The Leviathan
  • Tulak Hord

If you are only seeing two servers on the live server screen, you will want to reach out to support. Choosing the Public Test environment would take you to the PTS, but that is currently closed as MortenJessen pointed out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First

Second

The same servers are listed on both. I can also access my character on both with all the trimmings. The only difference is that in the 'public test' another 35 GB were downloaded. Then again 3GB, then 2 GB etc., at the moment nothing is downloaded anywhere.

Edited by AngharThallmar

Wow, that should not even be possible. As for the constant downloads with the PTS, if you take a peak at the PTS forum, you will see that that was very much a theme 😠.

For that reason alone, stay away from the PTS. All you get out of it is that you actually destroy your installed SWTOR, because what it does is repairing files over and over, that does not require repair... until they do 😡 And then, the only solution is a complete removal of SWTOR (only what you need to do in Windows Apps, dont try to clean up the utility files in program and user folder, as these holds your UI and interface setups. Unless you want to make changes to those any way.)

Stick to the Live list. 

As an aside, that is not the Server list, that is the Environment list. The Server list looks like this: Which server YOU should CHOOSE in SWTOR | 101 Guide (2021) - YouTube 

at 0.24 (yes I know, but I dont have a picture of the server list).