Flickering graphic bug is back

Toradama

@OwenBrooks

it only was working before the Update with "Windows Xp SP3 - compatibility mode" , not wit "Windows 7 -c.m." or any other idea to fix the problem..

and since the Update 7.2.1 there is no longer the "Windows Xp SP3 - compatibility mode" for the "swtor.exe" !

Edited by bumbumbass
  • Thanks 1

• Dev Post

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for sending in the reports. The team wanted to follow up with another test scenario. For anyone impacted by this issue, can you set BOTH the launcher.exe and swtor.exe to the same combability mode you used previously and report back if that fixes your issue? 

This would also be beneficial for players who see an empty server list as well. 

We are requesting impacted players to set the same combability mode on both executables and see if 1) the server list populates and 2) if the flickering issues is resolved. Location may vary, but you can normally find these files here: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\star wars - the old republic\launcher.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\star wars - the old republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor.exe

• Right click on launcher.exe and swtor.exe
  • Select Properties
  • Go to the Compatibility tab

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for sending in the reports. The team wanted to follow up with another test scenario. For anyone impacted by this issue, can you set BOTH the launcher.exe and swtor.exe to the same combability mode you used previously and report back if that fixes your issue? 

We are requesting impacted players to set the same combability mode on both executables and see if 1) the server list populates and 2) if the flickering issues is resolved. Location may vary, but you can normally find these files here: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\star wars - the old republic\launcher.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\star wars - the old republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor.exe

• Select Properties

Thanks! 

I had unchecked the Compatibility Mode box on both of the swtor.exe and launcher.exe as suggested by another forum and my friend who works on computers. The flickering graphics issue has continued to occur since we had this done on Thursday, this past week. Could there, perhaps, be something else that would cause this to happen on my end?

2 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

• Select Properties

Thanks! 

The previous compatibility mode I used was win XP SP3, but it is now unavailable to pick for swtor.exe. I picked win7 on both files and I can successfully login and play, but the flickering is still there

I've had this same problem as well. I used to use the compatibility fix, setting it to Windows XP SP3 which allowed me to run at pretty much ultra graphics no problem. Since the update I have to keep most things to low except character level of detail. Changing the texture setting to low helps to reduce the flickering while running around but doesn't completely stop it and it will still be present during every conversation and cutscene. I've tried changing the compatibility to match for both those file locations using all of the older Windows versions and that does help to avoid the empty server list issue but did not change the graphics flickering. Unfortunately, the swtor.exe one doesn't have Windows XP SP3 as an option anymore. 

I don't have the most ideal setup as I am using a 2023 M2Pro Macbook Pro - 10 core CPU - 16 core GPU - 16 Core neural engine - Running Windows 11 on Parallels. I've optimized parallels for gaming as well. While it isn't an ideal setup, like I said, I had been playing on nearly Ultra settings no problem just a week ago.

• Like 2

I never used a "Compatibility Mode" before the 64-bit-client, but i am impacted by this issue now.

After the 7.2.1 patch I had to install DirectX 9 with the June 2010 Direct X runtime to being able to run the game again, nothing else was changed.

Edited by DIVAvonFarstar

i tryed every compatibility mode(windows 7 and above) for booth .exe and the problem is still there. but my server list ist there after one start without compatibility mode but the textures still flacking...

we need the option "compatibilitymode @ Windows Xp SP3" back for the swtor.exe ,

please, iam still a paying player and i wanna play :'-( without problems... :(

• Dev Post
On 3/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, JackieKo said:

HI all, 

Appreciate the reports! Can you let us know if adjusting the texture quality to low helps at all? 

image (11).png

Adding to this, the team is asking if setting the overall graphics preset to low, alongside setting the texture quality to low, fixes the issue. Let us know in this thread! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JackieKo said:

Adding to this, the team is asking if setting the overall graphics preset to low, alongside setting the texture quality to low, fixes the issue. Let us know in this thread! 

I've turned all settings to low including texture quality and the problem still persists. The problem is worse when texture quality is high because all graphics flicker even when stationary, but even when it is on low the graphics will flicker anytime my character moves, the camera moves, and during every cut-scene. I've noticed the flickering in cut-scenes is even worse in the KOTFE expansion than those in character story quests.

Same issue since 64-bit update. XP SP3 is not a compatibility option for any 64-bit program (which the new client is) which explains why so many were knocked off of their lowest default compatibility option when the nature of the application changed. Since the launcher itself is not a 64-bit program I'd imagine most of you also encountered the empty server list bug since it did not change its compatibility setting from XP SP3 due to remaining 32bit. As none of the newer compatibility settings fix the issue it's likely we're stuck with it until dev team can figure out what about XP locked in texture settings or ask Microsoft really nicely to just go back to XP

Surface Pro 
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz   3.00 GHz
Intel Iris Xe integrated graphics
16GB RAM

To anyone using Mac with Parallels: 

I play on parallels using a mac studio: Apple M1 Max CPU 10-core, GPU 32-core, Neural Engine 16-core, 64GB unified memory. It worked on Ultra no problems until the update and now it has graphics flickering on any graphic setup except Low. But i was playing with different screen resolution to see what happens and for me at screen resolution 1920X1080 the flickering stoped and i could put the graphics on Ultra again except the shadows option which is greyed out. Maybe this is a temporary fix until the team finds a real one. 

5 hours ago, BodanTheMan said:

To anyone using Mac with Parallels: 

I play on parallels using a mac studio: Apple M1 Max CPU 10-core, GPU 32-core, Neural Engine 16-core, 64GB unified memory. It worked on Ultra no problems until the update and now it has graphics flickering on any graphic setup except Low. But i was playing with different screen resolution to see what happens and for me at screen resolution 1920X1080 the flickering stoped and i could put the graphics on Ultra again except the shadows option which is greyed out. Maybe this is a temporary fix until the team finds a real one. 

Appreciate the suggestion! Unfortunately no matter how high or low I set the resolution the flickering still appears.

Not sure if it is related but I have seen an increase in graphical stuttering in graphically intense combats (particularly with my Combat Sentinels and Blade Barrage) since the 64-bit deployment. I'm running the same graphical setting as I was before the 64-bit update.

HP 15s-fq2037na 15.6in i5 8GB 256GB Laptop

Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.65 GB usable)
Graphics: Intel Iris Xe

Even on low it flickers, especially on the worlds post Knights of Eternal Throne.

On 4/10/2023 at 5:57 AM, bumbumbass said:

64bit client is nice, but can we get the 32bit client back with a little patch. than the people with problems can choose...

only an idea?! 

the point of upgrading to 64bit was the fact 32bit isn't supported for the new server infrastructure they plan.. sorry but they are not readding 32bit just to appease a few people instead of actually figuring the problem out and fixing it so 64bit works for everybody

On 4/3/2023 at 9:27 PM, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

This solution simply does not work, except you do it every time you start swtor.

But at least I can narrow down since when the issue started for me: after Patch 7.2.1a.
Before the big update to x64-Client I never had issues like this and actually it's more then annoying. Every 30-40 Minutes I have to terminate swtor and restart it, to get rid of this flicker. From my point of view there are 3 possible Solutions, at least for me:

Solution 1: rollback to x86-Client and test some more month to get this stable
Solution 2: Fix this problem within two weeks
Solution 3: Lose a suscriber

• Like 3

I changed compatibility mode on both the launcher and the retail folder .exe to Windows 8 and it seems to have fixed the flickering for now. The issue was severe it would flicker my entire environment to the point where all I could see were skill effects and the skybox, rotating the camera would make all the textures pop in and out, it was most severe on city planets and in Flashpoints.

Changing graphical settings did not effect it AT ALL. Everything off, on low. Any changes to Nvidia control panel mentioned here, no effect.

My specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700 8 Core ~3.6Ghz
64 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080

Edit: This was a non issue before the most recent patch.

Edited by Uskharr
Additional Information
  • Like 1

Looks like Uskharr beat me to it. But, I came here to say that the flickering seems to be a problem with textures disappearing and the skybox showing through. Normally it flickers too quickly to notice this, but in a particular mission(which I unfortunately can no longer recall specifically), it went from a flicker to the screen just displaying the skybox. If I move the mouse around I could go from it looking normal, back to just seeing the skybox, all depending on where I was looking. If I looked down everything was normal, if I looked straight ahead all I could see was skybox. I noticed this problem after the update to 7.2.1a.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

32 GB DDR4-3200 RAM

GPU: Radeon 6800XT

SSD: M.2 Intel 660P

Windows 11 Pro Ver 10.0.22621 Build 22621

• Like 2

I just resubscribed and reinstalled yesterday. Not too happy that the game is rendered unplayable in this state, especially considering the flickering textures issue has been known for years and should have been addressed before the 64- bit update rendered all of us unable to play. The fix has widely been known as changing the compatibility settings, so to have your update render compatibility settings useless obviously inconveniences all of us. Yall knew this was gonna happen to us, so i really hope you are scrambling to find a way to get us back to functionality. 

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz   1.19 GHz
Installed RAM    12.0 GB (11.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

This game was running flawlessly on my system at max settings. I want to be able to play this game again without having to reduce settings or buy a new system AGAIN. Thats not expectable. I've dropped too much into this games shop and subs to just be like "Too bad, old man... you get left behind!"

Not at all saying that's what's happening. Obviously, game design is an ever-evolving artform that requires patience and understanding to get just right. I totally understand that, and I definitely continue to support yall in crafting my favorite game. Just want to make sure this issue doesn't get brushed off. 

Thank you all for your hard work and commitment!