Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New update not running on windows 10

NWRgamer

23 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

As everything else has been ruled out, the team strongly recommends updating the OS as with this update, the new recommended OS is Windows 10.  

That's...not exactly a solution. This now appears to be an issue with the "new" launcher, not the game or Windows 7 x64. The new launcher has been problematic since it was introduced (e.g. forcing the use of the same loading screen/constantly replacing custom loading screens, increased delays due to the launcher "searching for updates," and so on), and I am relatively certain that the 64-bit update would have worked just fine with the prior iteration of the launcher.

Edited by Eldarion_Velator

30 minutes ago, destroyer__tr said:

Can i change 64 bit to 32 bit? I tried every way but my game stuck at loading screen.

No.  This not an option.  SWTOR has changed to a 64-bit game client with the 7.2.1 update.  From today on all players will need to use the 64-bit client in order to play SWTOR.

Edited by Char_Ell

18 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

As everything else has been ruled out, the team strongly recommends updating the OS as with this update, the new recommended OS is Windows 10.  

I have to buy a new OS because Windows 7 64 Bit isn't supported by a 11 years old game that is updated to 64 bit? Are you serious?

If that's the answer/solution for a "patched in error" I have to consider, to cancel my 11 years uninterrupted subsription. That's a insolence as an answer!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Borderrr said:

I have to buy a new OS because Windows 7 64 Bit isn't supported by a 11 years old game that is updated to 64 bit? Are you serious?

If that's the answer/solution for a "patched in error" I have to consider, to cancel my 11 years uninterrupted subsription. That's a insolence as an answer!

Why do you expect BioWare to support an operating system that is no longer supported by its manufacturer, Microsoft?  Windows 7 stopped being supported by Microsoft in 2020 January.

That being said, @JackieKo, the help.ea.com page with SWTOR minimum system requirements with date of 2017 August 21 still lists Windows 7.  Someone needs to get those updated if that is no longer that case.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eldarion_Velator said:

That's...not exactly a solution. This now appears to be an issue with the "new" launcher, not the game or Windows 7 x64. The new launcher has been problematic since it was introduced (e.g. forcing the use of the same loading screen/constantly replacing custom loading screens, increased delays due to the launcher "searching for updates," and so on), and I am relatively certain that the 64-bit update would have worked just fine with the prior iteration of the launcher.

If you are getting the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error and are not on windows 10 you need to install https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

• Dev Post
12 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

Why do you expect BioWare to support an operating system that is no longer supported by its manufacturer, Microsoft?  Windows 7 stopped being supported by Microsoft in 2020 January.

That being said, @JackieKo, the help.ea.com page with SWTOR minimum system requirements with date of 2017 August 21 still lists Windows 7.  Someone needs to get those updated if that is no longer that case.

Yup, that will be updated shortly. 

2 minutes ago, LadyNashira said:

Windows 10, check

DX 9 installed from link, check

Firewall disabled, check (this really sucks, way to risk my security for your mistakes)

Still doesn't work, nothing happens when I click play.

You do not have to disable your Firewall, you have to add the app to your Allowlist. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

Nope, Microsoft ended final support for Windows 7 just a couple months ago. They continued with security updates until January 10th, 2023

And technically they're still supporting Windows 7, because they're still doing updates for some of the embedded systems until October 8, 2024.

Edited by rylixav

Yeah, the devs forced me to upgrade to Windows 10 back in October last year with the new launcher. I could not make the game work on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I spent the whole weekend updating the system and all the apps on it and I was really upset I was forced to do that by the devs. It was not just a system update which is relatively quick. I had to move from MBR based boot to UEFI, which required updating the partition table, then move to UEFI boot and upgrade only when UEFI was up and running. I spent like a week trying to make the game work on Windows 7, but it failed. I would much prefer devs give us a forward warning that say in 3 months with update x or y Windows 7 will not be supported anymore and ask the players to prepare, and upgrade the software and hardware if needed. Instead, they dropped the launcher which did not fully work on Windows 7 and said nothing about it.

14 minutes ago, OwenBrooks said:

If you are getting the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error and are not on windows 10 you need to install https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

It only happens with SWTOR, not with any other games, and that update requires enabling Windows Update (the package downloaded from the Download Center gives me the 0x80070422 error, which is a Windows Update error), which is itself a security risk. I might try it and see if that fixes my specific issue, but I'm not hopeful.

6 minutes ago, rylixav said:

Technically, Microsoft ended final support for Windows 7 just a couple months ago. They continued with security updates until January 10th, 2023

Do you think someone complaining about SWTOR forcing them to upgrade their operating system from Windows 7 64-bit was actually paying for extended security updates?  Methinks the chances of that are quite low.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eldarion_Velator said:

It only happens with SWTOR, not with any other games, and that update requires enabling Windows Update (the package downloaded from the Download Center gives me the 0x80070422 error, which is a Windows Update error), which is itself a security risk. I might try it and see if that fixes my specific issue, but I'm not hopeful.

The api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error is not new - https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/DLL-error-on-running-game/m-p/11503043

Edited by OwenBrooks
  • Like 1

I made a one-time exception to disabling Windows Update to get this working. Says I already have it installed (I must have done it at some point in the past).

I've been eyeing an upgrade to Windows 11 for some time, so maybe that will solve my problem when I get around to it.

As for requiring an upgrade to Windows 10, that's not actually a concern of mine; SWTOR has always been geared towards reaching the most number of people/the broadest audience possible, and as of this past summer, over 70% of Windows machines run Windows 10, with Windows 7 at a distant 13% and Windows 11 at around 10%. So SWTOR trying to gear itself towards Windows 10 users is fine, but its engine and reliance on DX9 is problematic (DX9 was originally released in 2002 for WIndows ME/XP, and the Hero engine is nearly as old).

24 minutes ago, LadyNashira said:

Windows 10, check

DX 9 installed from link, check

Firewall disabled, check (this really sucks, way to risk my security for your mistakes)

Still doesn't work, nothing happens when I click play.

Does this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35 say directx is up to date ?

Also ensure all .Net and C++ optional windows updates are installed

27 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Yup, that will be updated shortly. 

You do not have to disable your Firewall, you have to add the app to your Allowlist. 

Either works for testing.

Did the allow list, made no difference.

Edited by LadyNashira

Not to be the "works on my machine!" guy, but it works on my w7 64x, so the OS can't be the problem.

Also, whether or not w7 is outdated, none of the blogposts leading up to the 64x client mentioned upping the recommended systems requirements. It wasn't until people started having troubles with the update that we were told that's the case...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.